Films from Literature ENG 2400

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Sept. 10 classwork Look for "literary" devices in this Lolita exerpt

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

(From p. 50 of the pdf version) Please find and label examples of similes, metaphors, alliteration, and
    personification
    . Ex. line 1 personification: “The sun made its usual round” (as if the sun is walking) line
    1 metaphor :“[…] the dandelions had changed from suns to moons” (comparing the flowers which close up
    at night to constellations without the use of “as” or “like”).

1 The sun made its usual round of the house as the afternoon ripened into evening.

2 I had a drink. […] Most of the dandelions had changed from suns to moons.

3 […]An old fence at the back of the garden separated us from the neighbor’s

4 garbage receptacles and lilacs; but there was nothing between the front end of

5 our lawn (where it sloped along one side of the house) and the street. Therefore I

6 was able to watch (with the smirk of one about to perform a good action) for

7 the return of Charlotte […]. As I lurched and lunged with the hand mower, bits

8 of grass optically twittering in the low sun, I kept an eye on that section of

9 suburban street. It curved in from under an archway of huge shade trees, then

10 sped towards us down, down, quite sharply, past old Miss Opposite’s ivied

11 brick house and high-sloping lawn (much trimmer than ours) and disappeared

12 behind our own front porch which I could not see from where I happily belched

13 and labored. The dandelions perished. A reek of sap mingled with the

14 pineapple. Two little girls, Marion and Mabel, whose comings and goings I had

15 mechanically followed of late (but who could replace my Lolita?) went toward

16 the avenue (from which our Lawn Street cascaded), one pushing a bicycle, the

17 other feeding from a paper bag, both talking at the top of their sunny voices.

18 Leslie, old Miss Opposite’s gardener and chauffeur, a very amiable and athletic

19 Negro, grinned at me from afar and shouted, re-shouted, commented by

20 gesture, that I was mighty energetic today. The fool dog of the prosperous

21 junk dealer next door ran after a blue car–not Charlotte’s. The prettier of the

22 two little girls (Mabel, I think), shorts, halter with little to halt, bright hair–a

23 nymphet, by Pan!–ran back down the street crumpling her paper bag and was

24 hidden from this Green Goat by the frontage of Mr. and Mrs. Humbert’s

25 residence. A station wagon popped out of the leafy shade of the avenue,

26 dragging some of it on its roof before the shadows snapped, and swung by

27 at an idiotic pace, the sweat shirted driver roof-holding with his left hand and

28 the junkman’s dog tearing alongside. There was a smiling pause–and then,

29 with a flutter in my breast, I witnessed the return of the Blue Sedan. I saw it

30 glide downhill and disappear behind the corner of the house. I had a glimpse of

31 her calm pale profile. It occurred to me that until she went upstairs she would not

32 know whether I had gone or not.

You can copy and past the relevant words and write something like, Line 1 is an example of a metaphor :
    “the dandelions had changed from suns to moons”

Anderson Uribe
    Participant

1 The sun made its usual round of the house as the afternoon ripened into evening.
    -metaphor: the afternoon ripened into evening (as if the afternoon were a fruit)
    3 […] An old fence at the back of the garden separated us from the neighbor’s
    4 garbage receptacles and lilacs; but there was nothing between the front end of
    5 our lawn (where it sloped along one side of the house) and the street. Therefore I
    7 the return of Charlotte […]. As I lurched and lunged with the hand mower, bits
    – alliteration: lurched and lunged
    8 of grass optically twittering in the low sun, I kept an eye on that section of
    – Personification: It (the street) sped towards us (as if the street could move)
    12 behind our own front porch which I could not see from where I happily belched
    14 pineapple. Two little girls, Marion and Mabel, whose comings and goings I had
    -metaphor – Lawn Street cascaded (as if Lawn Street is water)
    17 other feeding from a paper bag, both talking at the top of their sunny voices.
    18 Leslie, old Miss Opposite’s gardener and chauffeur, a very amiable and athletic
    – personification: fool dog (as if the dog is a person)
    21 junk dealer next door ran after a blue car–not Charlotte’s. The prettier of the
    22 two little girls (Mabel, I think), shorts, halter with little to halt, bright hair–a
    -Alliteration: halter with little to halt
    -metaphor: a nymphet (as if Mabel is a young nymph)
    -metaphor: hidden from this Green Goat (Humbert describes himself as a goat)
    -metaphor: wagon popped out of the leafy shade (as if the wagon appeared out of nowhere)
    -Alliteration: shadows snapped and swung
    -metaphor: shadows snapped and swung at an idiotic pace
    27 at an idiotic pace, the sweat shirted driver roof-holding with his left hand and
    -personification: smiling pause (describing the pause as if it could smile)
    29 with a flutter in my breast, I witnessed the return of the Blue Sedan. I saw it
    30 glide downhill and disappear behind the corner of the house. I had a glimpse of
    -metaphor – I saw it glide downhill (as if the Blue Sedan could glide)
    31 her calm pale profile. It occurred to me that until she went upstairs she would not

—————

a. Which version, the first in black & white or the second in color seems closer to the novel?
    The colored version. For instance, even though Lolita is not wearing her shades in the 1998 version, the way she was presented more closely compared with the obsessive intensity that Humbert had when he saw her.
    b.What are your opinions of the actors playing Humbert, Charlotte, Lolita, and Quilty?
    Are they as you pictured them as you began the book?
    Humbert – I prefer the 1998 Humbert. He matched the look I expected him to have and he showed more interest in Lolita, such as his reaction when he first met her and when she left to camp.
    Charlotte – Both actresses work equally for me.
    Lolita – I prefer the 1998 Lolita. She seemed more mischievous and different from other young girls. She met my expectations that Lolita was rather unique.
    Quilty – I prefer the 1998 Quilty. Quilty is a mystery in the novel. The extremely enigmatic way he appears in the 1998 film, covered in darkness, with electricity killing moths above him, matched that mysterious feel from the novel.
    c. Why do you think a blonde actress was cast as Lolita, whose hair color is different in the novel?
    The 1962 film tried to match the American view of beauty at the time. These films were much more conservative.
    4. What did you notice about the two different versions of Louise, the maid?
    In the 1962 version, you couldn’t even see her face! She spoke minimally as well. In the 1998 version she even cracked a funny joke.
    5. What differences in tone do you sense in these two films? Why do you think the 1962 version has more humor?
    As I mentioned previously, the 1962 version was quite conservative. One only needs to look at how the modern Lolita kisses Humbert passionately a couple of times, while in the 1962 version there was not even one kiss.
    Humor is an easy way to distract from the controversial theme or to minimize its disturbing impact.
    a. Name three different things you feel you learned.
    1.Multiple exposure shots – I was not aware of them.
    2.Moving the room to create effect
    3.Frame within frame – I was also not aware of this as cinematographic technique
    b. Mention something you liked about the presentation.
    I found it striking how effective it was to see the low angle camera shot of the nervous chewing gum suspect in Psycho.
    c. Ask at least one question that now comes to mind about this presentation.
    What considerations are taken when deciding what camera angle to use out of the many techniques available?
    Do some of these camera techniques overlap, that is, are they interchangeable and still create the same final effect?

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Anderson,

You seem to have spent a good deal of time looking for those many literary devices. Great job. Nabokov seems particularly fond of alliteration, which occurs sometimes along with other things like Green Goat.

As for standards of Hollywood beauty back then, yes blonde actresses were all the rage. Also, since Shelly Winters and Sue Lyons are both blondes anyway, they matched.

You are a very conscientious member of this class.

Thank you!

Ajay
    Participant

Document 3 Classwork for Sept. 4
    Please follow this sequence. These tasks should take approximately 2.5 hours altogether.

1. Go to the Sept. 4 classwork in the Discussion board about literary language and spend about 20 minutes identifying the literary devices in the excerpt from Lolita provided in Discussion post called “Sept. 4 classwork: Look for “literary” devices in this Lolita excerpt” and duplicated in the Docs folder as Document 2 Classwork for Sept. 4 (what you are reading now is Document 3).

2. Then watch the presentation “Lo comparisons reedit.avi”

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Prof.%20Masiello’s%20class%20presentaions?preview=Lo+comparisons+reedit.avi

3. After watching, write down your reactions to the following:

a. Which version, the first in black & white or the second in color seems closer to the novel?

I think the first in black and white version seems closer to the novel because in the 1950’s writers who held sway in that period of British literary history. In the black and white version it was the most proactive aspects of the novel, sometimes leaving to the audience’s imagination.

b. What are your opinions of the actors playing Humbert, Charlotte, Lolita, and Quilty?

My opinion of the actors playing Humbert, Charlotte, Lolita, and Quilty were Humbert is extraordinarily charming, sarcastic, and seductive to both his readers and the other characters. He wants to immortalize Lolita, and to justify his perverse desires as artistic necessities. Charlotte is a lively, pretentious young widow who looks sort of like the movie star Marlene Dietrich. She dreams of moving upwards in cultural sophistication and social class, but never succeeds. Charlotte is a very jealous woman, and this jealousy leads her to discover Humbert Humbert’s secret love for Lolita. Lolita begins the novel as a flirtatious, energetic twelve-year-old interested in comic books, crooners, and becoming a movie star. In her adolescence, Lolita learns acting and how to play tennis. As she matures, she gets better and better at manipulating Humbert. Quilty is Humbert Humbert’s double and spiritual twin: a fellow pedophile, writer, and brilliant student of literature. Quilty is not revealed as a major character until the end of the novel, but clues to his identity are strewn throughout the book. Lolita falls in love with Quilty, who helps her to escape from Humbert. Quilty himself, it turns out, is impotent.

Are they as you pictured them as you began the book? Yes, I pictured them as I began the book because I thought of one person to be a pedophile. My cheeks were flushed and my nerves were still tingling because of the experiences of each character in the book. I also thought that the book is a relatively straight forward novel.

(Please note: the young actresses playing Lolita were reportedly both 14 at the time of filming though one looks older though the character is supposed to be younger. Also note that the 1962 version reflects the cars, clothing, and hairstyles of when it was filmed, while the 1998 version is made to look like the authentic time of the novel – the late 1948 to 1953.)

c. Why do you think a blonde actress was cast as Lolita, whose hair color is different in the novel? I think a blonde actress was cast as Lolita, whose hair color is different in the novel because of all of the pressure of the American culture at that time. These films were much more I believe that the erotic aspect of Humbert relationship with Lolita, and his sexual obsession was the only barely hint behind it. I think that it’s the encounter that the characters have on each other and the sudden realization of their love, that is one of the most elegant elements of the story.

4. What did you notice about the two different versions of Louise, the maid? I notice about the two different versions of Louise the maid was in the 1962 version you couldn’t see what she was doing and in the 1998 version they made her character come out more. Louise was a bit more humorous in the 1998 version than the 1962 version.
    5. What differences in tone do you sense in these two films? Why do you think the 1962 version has more humor? The differences in tone I sense in these two films is one film portrayed it a bit biased and the other film was a lot more accurately, and captured the wrongness of the relationship of Lolita’s distress a lot better. Also in one film didn’t find humor and I think the other film had a more serious version and had a balance experience they had.

6. Next, please watch the presentation called “Cinema If20.avi.”

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Prof.%20Masiello’s%20class%20presentaions?preview=Cinema+I+f20.avi

7. Then, as you did last week, please answer the following

a. Name three different things you feel you learned. The three different things I learned was Multiple screen shots, the effects that a room or building can make and also frame and another frame together in one film. I didn’t know these things exist in real life.

b. Mention something you liked about the presentation. I liked about the presentation was how effective does a camera has different shots of something in a film in one room.

c. Ask at least one question that now comes to mind about this presentation. The one question that now comes into my mind about this presentation is when using a camera in a film, what considerations and angles are taken to get a great effect on the film?

Enjoy the videos…

Virginia Sanchez
    Participant

(From p. 50 of the pdf version) Please find and label examples of similes, alliteration, and
    personification. Ex. line 1 personification: “The sun made its usual round” (as if the sun is walking)
    line 2 metaphor:“[…] the dandelions had changed from suns to moons” (comparing the flowers which close up
    1 The sun made its usual round of the house as the afternoon ripened into evening. Personification
    2 I had a drink. […] Most of the dandelions had changed from suns to moons. Metaphor
    3 […]An old fence at the back of the garden separated us from the neighbor’s Personification
    4 garbage receptacles and lilacs; but there was nothing between the front end of Metaphor
    5 our lawn (where it sloped along one side of the house) and the street. Therefore I Personification
    6 was able to watch (with the smirk of one about to perform a good action) for Metaphor
    7 the return of Charlotte […]. As I lurched and lunged with the hand mower, bits Alliteration
    8 of grass optically twittering in the low sun, I kept an eye on that section of Metaphor
    9 suburban street. It curved in from under an archway of huge shade trees, then Personification
    10 sped towards us down, down, quite sharply, past old Miss Opposite’s ivied Alliteration
    11 brick house and high-sloping lawn (much trimmer than ours) and disappeared Personification
    12 behind our own front porch which I could not see from where I happily belched Metaphor
    13 and labored. The dandelions perished. A reek of sap mingled with the Personification
    14 pineapple. Two little girls, Marion and Mabel, whose comings and goings I had Metaphor
    15 mechanically followed of late (but who could replace my Lolita?) went toward Metaphor
    16 the avenue (from which our Lawn Street cascaded), one pushing a bicycle, the Personification
    17 other feeding from a paper bag, both talking at the top of their sunny voices. Metaphor
    18 Leslie, old Miss Opposite’s gardener and chauffeur, a very amiable and athletic Metaphor
    (From p. 50 of the pdf version) Please find and label examples of similes, alliteration, and
    personification. Ex. line 1 personification: “The sun made its usual round” (as if the sun is walking)
    line 2 metaphor:“[…] the dandelions had changed from suns to moons” (comparing the flowers which close up
    19 Negro, grinned at me from afar and shouted, re-shouted, commented by Alliteration
    20 gesture, that I was mighty energetic today. The fool dog of the prosperous Metaphor
    21 junk dealer next door ran after a blue car–not Charlotte’s. The prettier of the Alliteration
    22 two little girls (Mabel, I think), shorts, halter with little to halt, bright hair Simile
    23 nymphet, by Pan!–ran back down the street crumpling her paper bag and was Metaphor
    24 hidden from this Green Goat by the frontage of Mr. and Mrs. Humbert’s Metaphor
    25 residence. A station wagon popped out of the leafy shade of the avenue, Personification
    26 dragging some of it on its roof before the shadows snapped, and swung by Personification
    27 at an idiotic pace, the sweat shirted driver roof-holding with his left hand and Alliteration
    28 the junkman’s dog tearing alongside. There was a smiling pause–and then, Personification
    29 with a flutter in my breast, I witnessed the return of the Blue Sedan. I saw it Metaphor
    30 glide downhill and disappear behind the corner of the house. I had a glimpse of Personification
    31 her calm pale profile. It occurred to me that until she went upstairs she would not Alliteration

Christopher Lobato
    Participant

Line 7:” As I lurched and lunged” Example of alliteration because both words have the same consonant at the beginning
    Line 7-8: “Bits of grass optically twittering in the low sun” Example of a metaphor he compares the sound of the leaves to a bird’s twitter.
    Line 10: “sped towards us down down quite sharply past old miss opposites ivied brick house and high sloping lawn and disappeared”. The street is being personified in this case because the street moves and disappears out of sight but he is actually talking about the curvature of the street.
    Line 13: “The dandelions perished. A reek of sap mingled with the pineapple.” Example of personification because he says that the sap mingled with the pineapple which is how people socialize.
    Line 18:” Leslie old miss opposites gardener and chauffeur a very amiable and athletic”. This is an example of alliteration with the consonant “a” and shows that these are equal qualities that describe this character.
    Line 22: “halter with little to halt” This is an example of alliteration, but it is a phrase unlike the other examples in this excerpt. It gives the sentence rhythm and makes it sound nicer to read.
    Line 25:” A station wagon popped of the leafy shade of the avenue. Dragging some of it on its roof before the shadows snapped and swung by at an idiotic pace”. This is a personification of the shadows he describes its movement as “snapped” and “idiotic pace” like someone walking away. The phrase “shadows snapped and swung” is an example of alliteration.
    Line 28: “There was a smiling pause”. This is a personification the pause is said to smile and is meant to give the meaning of a happy pause. There is good anticipation coming from Humbert.
    Line 31: “Her calm pale profile”. An example of alliteration both pale and profile start with “p” and it adds rhythm to his statement.

a.)Which version, the first in black & white or the second in color seems closer to the novel?
    The 1962 version captures Humbert’s ironic tone just as I imagined him. As we see from the very beginning, Humbert has a very ironic and sarcastic attitude with the use of puns like Taxovich when regarding the taxi driver that ran off with Valeria, and the way he uses sexual innuendos and describes himself as handsome. The 1962 version captures this version of Humbert, especially with the scene where he is laughing while reading the note from charlotte and the way he reacts to charlotte find out as well as her death. However, the 1998 version reflects the time period and follows the novel’s dialogue much closer.

b.) What are your opinions of the actors playing Humbert, Charlotte, Lolita, and Quilty? Are they as you pictured them as you began the book?
    As I mentioned previously, I perceive Humbert’s character to be more sarcastic and confident. I believe we get this kind of character more from the 1962 version. The Humbert from the 1962 version seems slimy with the way he laughs while reading Charlotte’s note. The 1998 version seems like a more refined gentleman and that takes away from his nasty personality.

As for Lolita, they both seem to be good representations. In the 1998 version, Lolita has chestnut hair which matches her description in the novel, but the 1962 Lolita acts much more childish and this is what I would expect from her character. The scene where Humbert also matches well with the imagery provided in the novel with the bathing suit and the sunglasses.

Sadly, since Humbert because of his unique obsession, we do not get a nice description of Charlotte. I believe the 1962 Charlotte fits more so with Humbert’s description of the middle-aged woman while the 1998 version fits more likely her actual character which is a refined woman.

Finally, I think the depiction of Quilty in the 1998 film is a much more interesting character and much more ominous. It helps build up the drama for the story.

c. )Why do you think a blonde actress was cast as Lolita, whose hair color is different in the novel?
    In the novel, Lolita is described as having chestnut hair, so the film that matches this description is the 1998 film. It is possible that a blonde actress was cast for this version because it coincided more with the way the director wanted to portray the character. In the 1962 version, Lolita seems much more childlike and pure compared to the extremely sexualized Lolita from the 1997 film. As a result by casting a blonde actress, they make her image pure. However, it is more likely that since the 1962 version reflects less the time of the novel, the actress was just chosen to reflect the style and period of the 1960s.

The directors draw less attention to Louise in the 1962 version compared to the 1998 version. I tried looking on IMDB to see the actress who played her in the 1962 version out of curiosity but, she appears as uncredited. The 1998 version was filmed post-civil rights movement while the 1962 version was filmed in the midst of it. Since Louise was a black maid, they likely thought that she was not important enough to be cast as a character in the 1962 film due to social issues.

5. What differences in tone do you sense in these two films? Why do you think the 1962 version has more humor?
    1962 is much more satirical and humorous compared to the 1998 version. It becomes clear from the trailer that the 1998 version focuses more on Humbert’s obsession and the romance drama aspects of the story. The 1962 version likely wants to have a more satirical approach to the novel, and we see this from the fact that they mock that somebody would ever make a movie about Lolita in the trailer. The fact that they do this shows that the director acknowledges the novel’s controversy.
    7. a.)
    One thing I learned is how technology has changed what is possible for shots. For example, panning shots with a drone, computer graphic panoramic shots, and CGI water.

In addition to this, it also highlights how creative older films were despite the lack of these conveniences. We can see this with the shot from the door hole in Opera, the shot of King Kong on the building in King Kong, and the rotating room in Royal Wedding.

Lastly, what I also learned was how essential intertitles and prologues were within films, even long after sounds were added to films. This technique is less employed today, and so it was interesting to learn about its history and how important they were to push the plot forward.

b.)Mention something you liked about the presentation.
    My favorite part of the presentation was the section about fourth wall breaks. I think it is an interesting tactic to get the audience engaged. A film that employs fourth wall breaks well that could also be included is, The Big Short. Margot Robbie taking a bubble bath explaining to the audience what a subprime loan and a CDO are is one example of the many fourth wall breaks in the film. This example not only grasps the audience’s attention, but it also helps them learn the overly complicated wall street terms and as a result, helps the audience enjoy the movie better because they now understand more of the film’s plot.

c.)Ask at least one question that now comes to mind about this presentation.
    Has the advent of new technologies to aid in the process of filming shots allowed films to be more creative, or were older films forced to be more creative as a result of a lack of these modern conveniences?

Jimcya
    Participant

2. Then watch the presentation “Lo comparisons reedit.avi”
    In my opinion, in the 1998 version we can see more
    deeply the perverse and obsessed mentality of hambert this can be easily noticed by his gaze towards lolita however in the 1962 version we can see a calmer lolita and in one of the most important scenes she is wearing her swimsuit and glasses.

b. What are your opinions of the actors playing Humbert, Charlotte, Lolita, and Quilty?
    Humbert is a man who can express his true thoughts only with the gestures of his face and his eyes. he has that elegance with a power to play with the minds of others being a sarcastic man. Charlotte e is an elegant and naive lady. Lolita in my opinion is a girl who has grace and flirting every time she expresses herself, making her unmatched in the eyes of hambert. Quilty is a mature, mysterious and perverse man who has some aspects similar to Humbert.

A little, whenever I read a book I have a great expectation of each character and I make my imagination fly.

c. Why do you think a blonde actress was cast as Lolita, whose hair color is different in the novel?
    Maybe because it helped to highlight the lolita character a little more allowing her to look like a girl but at the same time elegant or because of the stereotypes of that time.

In the 1998 version, I feel that they give more importance and development to the character of Louise (turning her into a funny character), the opposite of the 1962 version.

This is clearly seen in the gestures of affection in the 1998 version, intense kisses are seen between lolita and humbert, and in the 1962 version there is no passionate kiss.

p. 50 of the pdf version) Please find and label examples of similes, alliteration, and
    personification. Ex. line 1 personification: “The sun made its usual round” (as if the sun is walking) line
    2 metaphor :“[…] the dandelions had changed from suns to moons” (comparing the flowers which close up

Personification
    Metaphor
    Personification

Alliteration
    Metaphor

Personification

Metaphor
    Personification
    Alliteration
    Metaphor
    Metaphor

Alliteration
    personification. Ex. line 1 personification: “The sun made its usual round” (as if the sun is walking) line
    2 metaphor :“[…] the dandelions had changed from suns to moons” (comparing the flowers which close up

Personification

Alliteration

Metaphor
    Personification
    Alliteration

Personification

Alliteration

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Jimcya.

diana
    Participant

Answer: Personification
    Answer: Metaphor
    Answer:Metaphor
    Answer Alliteration
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Personification
    Answer Alliteration
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Metaphor
    13 and labored. The dandelions perished. A reek of sap mingled with th
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Personification
    Answer metaphor
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Personification
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Smilie
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Alliteration
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Personification
    Answer Metaphor
    Answer Personification

Jennifer Apuango
    Participant

*Metaphor

*Alliteration because of the both words Lurched and Lunged.

*Personification because it states how the streets are moving toward them

*Metaphor

*Personification because it states ” the fool dog” which is saying that the dog is a person

*Alliteration

*Metaphor

*Metaphor

*Alliteration

*Personification

*Alliteration

3a.) Which version, the first in black & white or the second in color seems closer to the novel?
    * The color version seems closer to the novel because it shows how obsessive Humbert is when he sees Lolita.

* My opinion of the actor Humbert is that he loves his own looks almost as much as he loves Lolita. He establish himself as intellectual, his skills with language makes him a persuasive narrative. Charlotte is a middle class housewife who aspires to be cultured and sophisticated. Lolita is an adolescent, she is seductive, flirty, and capricious. Quilty is like Humbert shadow and like his double.

* Yes I did pictured them as I began reading the book because I had high expectations for each character which made it easy for me in my imagination.

c. ) Why do you think a blonde actress was cast as Lolita, whose hair color is different in the novel?
    * I think a blonde actress was cast as as Lolita because the film maker wanted to make her look beautiful and elegant.

4.) What did you notice about the two different versions of Louise, the maid?
    * I notice in the 1962 film, you can’t see her face at all, it barely shows when she gives Humbert the letter. Compare to the 1998 version, her character comes out more in the film.

5.) What differences in tone do you sense in these two films? Why do you think the 1962 version has more humor?
    * I think the 1962 has more humor because an example is that Lolita and Humbert did not even kiss at all in the film. Compare to the 1998 Lolita kiss with passion to Humbert.

7a.) Name three different things you have feel you learned:
    – Panning and zooming it creates a visual sweep. Panoramic shots begin movies to establish the setting.
    -In the silent movie era, inter titles and exaggerating acting style make up for the lack of spoken dialog.
    -Low camera angles it creates the audience empathy and show characters point of view.
    -Placing characters center frame is sometimes done to create a distinctive, stylized look.

7b.) Mention something you liked about the presentation:
    * What I like about the presentation is the dialog spoken by the actors and how the film makers use various visual techniques to help tell stories.

7c.) Ask at least one question that now comes to mind about the presentation:
    * How do the sets contribute to the mood the film makers are trying to establish?

Jabir Alam
    Participant

1 The sun made its usual round of the house as the afternoon ripened into evening. Personification
    2 I had a drink. […] Most of the dandelions had changed from suns to moons. Metaphor
    3 […]An old fence at the back of the garden separated us from the neighbor’s Personification
    4 garbage receptacles and lilacs; but there was nothing between the front end of Metaphor
    5 our lawn (where it sloped along one side of the house) and the street. Therefore I Personification
    6 was able to watch (with the smirk of one about to perform a good action) for Metaphor
    7 the return of Charlotte […]. As I lurched and lunged with the hand mower, bits Alliteration
    8 of grass optically twittering in the low sun, I kept an eye on that section of Metaphor
    9 suburban street. It curved in from under an archway of huge shade trees, then Personification
    10 sped towards us down, down, quite sharply, past old Miss Opposite’s ivied Alliteration
    11 brick house and high-sloping lawn (much trimmer than ours) and disappeared Personification
    12 behind our own front porch which I could not see from where I happily belched Metaphor
    13 and labored. The dandelions perished. A reek of sap mingled with the Personification
    14 pineapple. Two little girls, Marion and Mabel, whose comings and goings I had Metaphor
    15 mechanically followed of late (but who could replace my Lolita?) went toward Metaphor
    16 the avenue (from which our Lawn Street cascaded), one pushing a bicycle, the Personification
    17 other feeding from a paper bag, both talking at the top of their sunny voices. Metaphor
    18 Leslie, old Miss Opposite’s gardener and chauffeur, a very amiable and athletic Metaphor
    Metaphor. Ex. line 1 personification: “The sun made its usual round” (as if the sun is walking)
    at night to constellations without the use of “as” or “like”). metaphor
    metaphor
    21 junk dealer next door ran after a blue car–not Charlotte’s. The prettier of the metaphor
    simile
    23 nymphet, by Pan!–ran back down the street crumpling her paper bag and was metaphor
    Metaphor
    Personification
    Alliteration
    27 at an idiotic pace, the sweat shirted driver roof-holding with his left hand and metaphor
    Personification
    29 with a flutter in my breast, I witnessed the return of the Blue Sedan. I saw it personification
    30 glide downhill and disappear behind the corner of the house. I had a glimpse of metaphor
    Alliteration
    32 know whether I had gone or not. personification

.Which version, the first in black & white or the second in color seems closer to the novel?
    In my opinion, the color version was closer to the novel because it focuses more on the love between lolita and Humbert and its also shows how engaged Humbert when he saw lolita for the first time
    .What are your opinions of the actors playing Humbert, Charlotte, Lolita, and Quilty?
    Humbert. I thought Humbert was good, and he played the gradual disintegration of Humbert Humbert with an intensity which i enjoyed. However, i felt that the film did not reveal as much of his character as the novel portrays. I felt that too much emphasis was placed on his suave and intelligent side, and not enough time was devoted to his burning desire and passion for Lolita.

Lolita in my opinion flirtatious energetic who likes to read comic books

Quilty is a mature, mysterious and perverse man who has some aspects similar to Humbert.

Charlotte is cultural an housewife naive lady she is just wonderful

What did you notice about the two different versions of Louise, the maid?
    In 1962 version they barely showed her face and in 1998 they gave her more importance she was more in character
    What differences in tone do you sense in these two films? Why do you think the 1962 version has more humor?
    I think the 1962 has more humor compared to 1998 version

Thre different hings i learned
    -Placing characters center frame is sometimes done to create a distinctive, stylized look.
    Multiple screen shots,
    Frame within frame

I liked about the presentation was how effective camera can how we can use different angles frame within frame in one room

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Virginia,

I am impressed with your diligence in finding so many literary devices in just those two pages!

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Christopher,

I am so impressed with your many details and well-written comments! I am guessing and hoping you will learn and enjoy my course as I hope most students will, and I look forward to reading more of your work.

About that rotating room with Fred Astaire dancing on the walls and ceiling, frankly, I think it looks even better than Billie Eilish on SNL (albeit with a live TV budget): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmqBuroJ2Ho&t=97s

As for your question about creativity in the past as compared to nowadays with all the CGI, what a great question! I think the old adage: “Necessity is the mother of invention” holds true and technicians try always to do their best. However, some people feel that practical effects are more appealing than the slickness of CGI. It is almost like the debate over vinyl records having more warmth in their sound than CDs. Personally, I like CGI, but I would rather watch the 1933 King Kong any day over the slicker, less memorable most recent versions of Kong and his fellow giant apes. Then again, I can laugh at the cheesy effects in the past, like the snake pit in Gunga Din (1939), in which you can see the rubber snakes are wriggling on strings, or the giant arachnid in The Black Scorpion (1957) that knocks over a speeding train and if one freeze frames it at just the right moment, the word “Lionel” is seen on the side of the train car.

Virginia Sanchez
    Participant

Presentation “Cinema II f20.avi”
    a. Name three different things you feel you learned.
    Some things I learned while watching the presentation is the “Non Diegetic” editing style, “Party Lines”, and finally how common mirrors were in entertainment culture.
    The section on mirrors was enjoyable because I realized how many creative ideas could be achieved with a mirror along with its myths and tropes.
    c. Ask at least one question that now comes to mind about this presentation.
    Why were party lines created?

Presentation “Sexual Symbolism.avi.”
    d. Name two or three different things you feel you learned.
    I’d seen some of the movies in the presentation and was surprised to see phallic symbols I hadn’t noticed before such as the alien scene using phallic symbols to hint a female alien approaching, the scene in lolita with the dog, and the symbol used in Superman.
    e. Mention something you liked about the presentation.
    I had some basic understanding of symbolism in films but the presentation opened a whole new vocabulary for me.
    f. Ask at least one question that now comes to mind about this presentation.
    What was one of the first films to use phallic symbols?

Participant

1 The sun made its usual round of the house as the afternoon ripened into evening.Personification
    2 I had a drink. […] Most of the dandelions had changed from suns to moons. metaphor
    3 […]An old fence at the back of the garden separated us from the neighbor’s -personification
    4 garbage receptacles and lilacs; but there was nothing between the front end of -metaphor
    5 our lawn (where it sloped along one side of the house) and the street. Therefore I- personification
    6 was able to watch (with the smirk of one about to perform a good action) for -metaphor
    7 the return of Charlotte […]. As I lurched and lunged with the hand mower, bits -alliteration
    8 of grass optically twittering in the low sun, I kept an eye on that section of -metaphor
    9 suburban street. It curved in from under an archway of huge shade trees, then -personification
    10 sped towards us down, down, quite sharply, past old Miss Opposite’s ivied- alliteration
    11 brick house and high-sloping lawn (much trimmer than ours) and disappeared- personification
    12 behind our own front porch which I could not see from where I happily belched- metaphor
    13 and labored. The dandelions perished. A reek of sap mingled with the-personification
    14 pineapple. Two little girls, Marion and Mabel, whose comings and goings I had- metaphor
    15 mechanically followed of late (but who could replace my Lolita?) went toward-metaphor
    16 the avenue (from which our Lawn Street cascaded), one pushing a bicycle, the- personification
    17 other feeding from a paper bag, both talking at the top of their sunny voices. -metaphor
    18 Leslie, old Miss Opposite’s gardener and chauffeur, a very amiable and athletic -metaphor
    19 Negro, grinned at me from afar and shouted, re-shouted, commented by-alliteration
    20 gesture, that I was mighty energetic today. The fool dog of the prosperous- metaphor
    21 junk dealer next door ran after a blue car–not Charlotte’s. The prettier of the-alliteration
    22 two little girls (Mabel, I think), shorts, halter with little to halt, bright hair– metaphor
    23 nymphet, by Pan!–ran back down the street crumpling her paper bag and was- metaphor
    24 hidden from this Green Goat by the frontage of Mr. and Mrs. Humbert’s- metaphor
    25 residence. A station wagon popped out of the leafy shade of the avenue,- personification
    26 dragging some of it on its roof before the shadows snapped, and swung by- alliteration
    27 at an idiotic pace, the sweat shirted driver roof-holding with his left hand and-metaphor
    28 the junkman’s dog tearing alongside. There was a smiling pause–and then,- personification
    29 with a flutter in my breast, I witnessed the return of the Blue Sedan. I saw it-personification
    30 glide downhill and disappear behind the corner of the house. I had a glimpse of- metaphor
    31 her calm pale profile. It occurred to me that until she went upstairs she would not- personification
    32 know whether I had gone or not. -metaphor

The b&w version, how stanley kubrick uses symbolism during this time was, he was able to capture timing POV and add layers to it.
    b.What are your opinions of the actors playing Humbert, Charlotte, Lolita, and Quilty?Are they as you pictured them as you began the book? I pictured Humbert coming off more stronger in the novel than the film, the movie features humberts pov, and does not capture what he was really like in the novel probably due to censorship. in the novel, Humbert is portrayed as intelligent but it also mentions his shattered childhood and Nabokov carefully goes about his past and obsession. the novel really puts humor, narration and his mental illness into perspective.
    James Mason(humbert) is seen as tormented and charmful,subtle
    Shelley winters(charlotte) comes across as brainless
    Sue lyons comes across as a brat, playful
    Quilty comes off as manipulative
    Maybe because that’s what was viewed as beautiful at the time. Lolitas hair in the novel is described as chestnut /auburn.
    In the 1962 version she wasn’t very prominent but in the later version she really comes out.
    Humor hid the perverted mind of humbert. In the 1962 version there isnt much kissing or anything of the sorts compared to the later version
    7.a. Name three different things you feel you learned.
    Different screen shots
    Different rooms
    Different techniques that go into making a film

How the actors aren’t saying much but you can almost tell what they are thinking or wanting to say. like when Humbert looks at Lolita with intensity.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by ,.

Salina Shrestha
    Participant

-personification

-metaphor

personification

– personification

– alliteration

– personification

– personification

– personification

– personification

– personification

– alliteration

– metaphor

– alliteration

– metaphor

– alliteration

– personification

– alliteration

– personification

– personifciation

– metaphor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.