Films from Literature ENG 2400 Spring 2024 0565

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Feb. 20 Three easy questions about the 1962 film

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Please post your answers in this folder.

A better version of the wording is in the Files folder…

Here is a very short scene from the 1962 film Lolita. It is nowhere in the novel, but an invention for the
    screenplay. The scene is barely 40 seconds long.

1) What is the scene about?

2) Do you think it is effective, being all visual with no dialog?
    prior to the marriage, she is wearing leopard prints. I have provided samples in the Files folder version of these three easy questions because the Discussion folder does not allow me to post still pictures.

(Go to the Files folder item dated Feb. 20…)

3) What is being suggested by such clothing? Please note, this question does NOT relate to the video clip above.

Alyssa skerret
    Participant

1) Humbert, Charlotte and Lolita were at the drive-in theater watching a horror film, both ladies were scared from the scenes, in which both of them quickly put their hand on Humbert’s hands that were resting on his thigh. When Humbert takes his hand away from Charlotte, he leaves his other hand right where it is, placing it on top of Lolita’s hand.

2) It is effective because as the viewer we can see how the scene contributes to the plot. For instance, Charlotte is clueless when Humbert and Lolita place their hands on top of each others until the very end she ‘notices’ Lolita’s hands on top of Humbert’s hand but doesn’t say anything.

3) I feel like the animal prints represent her being single and trying to find a new love which is Humbert. In my opinion, cheetah prints can symbolize seduction, which she does when she is seen wearing the animal-printed dress until Lolita intrudes.

Mehriniso
    Participant

1. This scene is about three people– Lolita, Humbert, and Charlotte– watching, what seems to be, a horror/scary movie. It seems that Humbert is more affectionate towards Lolita than Charlotte because he rests his hands on top of Lolitas’ rather than his wife Charlotte.

2. Yes, I think this visual is very effective, even if there is no dialogue, because of the way that the characters communicate with each other. The audience can see the characters’ feelings/emotions towards one another. We can infer, without even seeing the whole movie that, Humbert has more love towards Lolita because when she is frightened he puts his hand on top of hers to let her know that he is here to protect her from the bad and the evil while he takes his hand away when Charlotte was frightened and resting her hand on top of Humberts’.

3. When Charlotte wears a leopard print, before getting married to Humbert, it can show that she is on a hunt looking for her next sexual partner. Although she is not that confident around Humbert and has insecurities, she does try to be seductive.

Mu Song
    Participant

1. The scene is about Lolita, Charlotte, and Humbert spending time together at a movie and both ladies get scared and place their hands on Humbert to rely on him. However, Humbert removes his hand away from Charlotte’s but keeps the hand that Lolita is holding. Representing how both ladies have an interest in him however, Humbert only has an interest in Lolita.

2. I think it is effective as it clearly shows the relationship between the 3 people. Charlotte is interested in Humbert, Lolita is interested in Humbert as well but Humbert is only interested in Lolita and creating a strain between Lolita and her mother. So although no words were said it displayed the relationships perfectly.

3. I think the reason behind the animal prints on Charlotte’s clothing before he marries Humbert is supposed to represent how she’s kind of like an animal choosing her prey or could represent some animalistic instincts that she’s very interested in Humbert.

Tshari Yancey
    Participant

1). This scene is about Humbert at a drive-in movie with Lolita and Charlotte. All of them are in the front seat, when suddenly a jump scare startles all of them. Lolita and Charlotte place their hands on Humbert’s hand to look for comfort, he removes his hand from Charlotte but keeps his hand with Lolita even using the other hand to cover Lolita’s hand on his. Kind of like he’s reassuring her.

2). Yes it is an effective way to show the dynamic with the three of them. The audience sees the actions of the actors and the intent of the message when Humbert quickly moves his hand from Charlotte’s side but leaving his hand with Lolita. It even goes deeper to show that he used the same hand he took away from Charlotte to touch Lolita again, an intention that he likes Lolita. Then Charlotte still reaching over to grab is his hand and noticing him & her daughter holding hands, her facial expression is confused with how odd that was.

3). Charlotte wearing Leopard print is common for single women who want to show a sexy side to them when looking for date, now that we know she was trying to come on to Humbert it was a way for him to fall into the trap and letting him know she likes him.

Angel Padilla
    Participant

1. The scene features Humbert, Charlotte, and Lolita. All three of them are sitting in a car together and they’re watching a horror movie in a drive-in theater. There’s a moment where Humbert’s hands are resting in separate places: one hand is resting on Charlotte’s thigh while his other hand is rested on top of Lolita’s hand. Humbert removes his hand away from Charlotte’s thigh in this scene while his hand is rested on Lolita’s hand, thus emphasizing how Humbert is more affectionate towards Lolita than he is with Charlotte.

2. The visual is very effective with no dialog because it honestly creeps me out. It does a good job at maintaining the overall eerie and dense atmosphere that the book had to offer and it’s further highlighting just how disgusting of a character Humbert is.

3. As aforementioned, I think the cheetah prints in Charlotte’s clothing pretty much represent her feelings of her status in the relationship. Her cheetah print clothing can be symbolic of how cheetahs lure in her prey where in this case, Charlotte is trying to seduce Humbert.

Bryan Jimenez
    Participant

1. The scene is about Humbert, Charlotte, and Lolita watching a horror movie. Humbert has his hands on his thighs and both Charlotte and Lolita rest their hands on top of his but Humbert seems to be more affectionate towards Lolita as he quickly takes his hand away from Charlotte’s.
    2. Yes, The visual is effective because even though there is no dialogue, it shows the relationship between Humbert and Lolita, with Humbert being more interested in Lolita rather than Charlotte.
    3. I think the animal prints are supposed to signify her attempt to seduce Humbert as if an animal trying to lure its prey.

Andrew_R
    Participant

1) This scene softly shows that Humbert cares for Lolita over Charlotte, he cares for both but he ultimately loves Lolita. Both women reach out for help but Humbert reassures Lolita with his second hand while she reciprocates. By taking his hand away from Charlotte we ultimately know his state of mind in the household, he will abandon Charlotte when it becomes a choice between the women.

2) Yes, indirectly we get the message, and we ultimately know Charlotte will be neglected

3) Charlotte’s design shows that she is ambitious, she takes action and we see this throughout her decisions. This can also be meant as a predator thing where she wants to ensnare Humbert

TravisBowry
    Participant

1)This scene shows Humbert, Lolita and Charlotte together at the watching a horror movie. In the scene both Lolita and Charlotte grab Humbert hands when they get scared. Humbert removes his hand from Charlotte and places both hands on lolita, showing that he has more affection for her.

2) Yes this scene is effective because it shows how each character feels about each other with no dialogue. It shows both Lolita and Charlotte are both interested in Humbert but he is only interested in Lolita.

3) The leopard print can mean many different things depending on the perspective of the person. To me it means that Charlotte was on the hunt for a relationship with Humbert.

Angel Ordonez
    Participant

1) What is the scene about?
    Ultimately, the scene is about Humbert declining Charlotte for her much younger daughter, Lolita.

2) Do you think it is effective, being all visual with no dialog?
    These signs are amongst my favorite style and is very effective. People communicate through a variety of mediums.
    prior to the marriage, she is wearing leopard prints. I have provided samples in the Files folder version of these three easy questions because the Discussion folder does not allow me to post still pictures.

(Go to the Files folder item dated Feb. 20…)

3) What is being suggested by such clothing? Please note, this question does NOT relate to the video clip above.

Sexual seduction is being presented by this clothing. Men do the same as well. That’s why we like fitted clothes and big biceps.

Naila
    Participant

1) the three are watching a scary movie together. to comfort themselves Lolita grabs Humbert’s hand, Humbert grabs Lolita’s hand and Charlotte tries to grab Humbert’s hand when she notices that lotita has already got it.

2) Yes, due to their facial expressions when Charlotte notices.

3)Using leopard print suggests that Charlotte is trying to seduce Humbert.

Kenneth Cao
    Participant

1. Three characters which are presumed to be Charlotte, Humbert and Lolita watching a scary movie where they are suddenly spooked by one scene in the movie. Then Lolita and Charlotte place their hands on Humbert’s hands which Humbert moves his hand away from Charlotte then places both on Lolita’s.
    2. Yes it is effective since the viewer can see the relationship between the three characters. Like the saying goes “a picture can write a thousand words.”
    3. Due to Charlotte’s clothes it is suggested that she’s trying to chase her love as symbolized with her cheetah print design.

Naureen Asha
    Participant

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>1. This scene is about Lolita, Charlotte, and Humbert being in a theater watching a horror movie. Here it shows how both of the ladies get scared in a scary scene and put their hands on his legs but Humbert is more comfortable with Lolita which is why he puts his ones on top of hers instead of Charlotte and when he figures this, he just puts away his hands.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>2. Yes, I think it is effective being all visual with no dialogue because here it clearly shows who Humbert really cares and it shows how he wants to protect her when she needs him. Even though no words were there however, their actions showed the perfect reflection here.</span></p>

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>3. I think her wearing of animal printed clothing really gives the message that she is looking to seduce Humbert like animals pick on their prey.</span></p>

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.