Films from Literature ENG 2400 Spring 2024 0565

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• March 15 Miss Crane's "unmentionables" + Norman

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

1. Why do you think the costume designer for the film Psycho decided that Miss Crane’s bra and slip (and handbag) were white in the first scene but black in the later scenes?

https://preview.redd.it/50ub8s789ll51.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=30595eefd12fcdf8582816ad175d8c354dba2e0e

2. Please see this very brief scene: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrytbbs7d1q2gxu/Norman%20walks.avi?dl=0
    Did you notice it the first time you watched the movie? Why do you think Norman is photographed

this way?

Alyssa skerret
    Participant

1) I think the costume designer for the film Psycho decided to use a different color bra and handbag to symbolize two different things. As we see at the beginning of the movie, Miss Crane is in a relationship (that may be secretive) and she works as a secretary. This can indicate her innocence as to having a normal life, which is why I think her white bra and handbag symbolize her innocence. However, her black bra and handbag represent how her character changes from being innocent to mischievous due to embezzling money from Mr. Lowery.

Yes, indeed.

2) Bates is being photographed this way to show the audience where Bates is walking to which is the room where he keeps his dead mother’s corpse. Also, as this scene continued I had a feeling Norman Bates was talking to himself in a voice that imitated an elderly woman’s voice.

Alyssa, let’s see  what others have to say about this shot.

Tshari Yancey
    Participant

1). Marion Crane’s color undergarments change represented her decision in going on the run with the money. The white undergarments showed her being good almost angelic too after she stole the money it changes to black because now she has done something wrong. I also believe her trading in her car after running into a suspicious police officer contributed to that as well. Embracing a darker side of herself, she realized she was no longer a good person as before.

We, as an audience, may deduce that she is about to commit a crime,  but her changing colors may be subconscious on her part.  Artistically, it is indeed symbolic.  I always think it is ironic that Marion switches cars in full view of the highway patrolman who has been following her.  Obviously, she has changed cars for naught if her goal was to erase her path.

2). Knowing now that Norman had an alternate personality and would act like his mother, the walk up the stairs seems that being his mother as she makes his way into the room. To the audience it looks like Norman because we don’t know just yet his psychological problem, that was the first sign of how strange he was.  Tshari, I am unclear what you mean by these words:  “seems that being his mother as she makes his way […]”    Nevertheless, let’s see what other classmates say about Norman’s walk.

Mu Song
    Participant

1) I think the costume designer had Miss Crane’s bra and slip originally white in the first scene to represent normality and to suggest innocence as she was just a normal businesswoman working in a company with a normal lover. However, after she obtained a large amount of money her bra and underwear turned black to insinuate her selfish or darker desires to take the money and run away.  okay

2) I noticed it but it didn’t really click in my head why they shot this scene that way until after finishing the movie. I think Norman is photographed this way to keep the twist of who the mother is until the very end of the movie. It also guides the viewers into creating an image of Norman actually talking with his mother to further build up the twist at the end. Mu, so far no one has reacted in the way I expected…

Angel Padilla
    Participant

1.) I believe that the costume designer for Psycho made the color scheme for Miss Crane’s bra, slip, and handbag intentional. This is because in the beginning of the movie we as the audience see that the Miss Crane’s objects appear as white throughout the beginning of the movie. Afterwards, when Miss Crane commits the crime of stealing $40,000 from her employer, these same exact objects become black. I believe that this color scheme symbolically represents how Miss Crane’s innocence eventually faded from before and after she committed the crime. The color black can be used to represent how this action was a messed up thing to do.

2.) I didn’t notice the relevance of this scene at first when I watched the movie in class. But I genuinely like this scene simply based on how it’s photographed. It highlights how demented of a character Norman Bates is, and it adds on to the suspense because we don’t really know at first who he’s talking to. It’s really unhinged and I love it for that reason.  Okay, Angel,but still no one has pointed out something else about the camera angle…

Mehriniso
    Participant

1. Miss Crane’s bra and slip along with her handbag were white in the opening scene because she was living her normal life doing nothing wrong and was without any fault. On the other hand, in the later scene, she was seen wearing a black bra and slip because she had decided to run away to her boyfriend Sam while stealing the $40k entrusted to her to submit to the bank. In the later scene, she has become guilty of stealing money and running away which shows she is at fault.

2. I didn’t think he was switching characters the first time I saw the movie because the voice distracts the audience into thinking that his mother is invalid. I think Norman is photographed this way because he enters the house as Norman, which is in the dark, but as he goes up the stairs we see light, he then switches to his mother’s character. In other words, in the light he is Norman but in the dark, he is his mother which no one knows about.  Nicely expressed, Mehriniso, but still no one has pointed out something…

Angel Ordonez
    Participant

1. Why do you think the costume designer for the film Psycho decided that Miss Crane’s bra and slip (and handbag) were white in the first scene but black in the later scenes?

White typically represents purity and innocence. A lot of times in movies, white is portrayed to show innocence and this color use changes to show character development. That is why, after she commits a crime, Ms. Crane’s attire color changes. There has been a change int he character. She has been tainted, corrupt, or even changed to someone evil/impure.

2. Did you notice it the first time you watched the movie? Why do you think Norman is photographed

this way?
    In this particular scene, you start to see the subtle hints of Norma’s homosexuality. His “queerness”. I did not notice this at first until I started to look into the character development of Norman and his obsession with his mother. I had to watch this a few times before realizing what I was seeing.

TravisBowry
    Participant

1) The white bra and handbag represents her pure intentions in the beginning of the movie. She was living a normal and regular life up until that point. The black bra represents that some of the actions she has taken arent as pure. For example stealing the money is wrong and the color of the bra and handbag is used to represent that without plainly telling the auidence.

2) I didn’t notice the walk at first until you pointed it out one class. However after finishing the movie and learning more about why Norman behaved the way he did it he probably walked that way to add more suspense to the movie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.