Films from Literature ENG 2400 Spring 2024 0565

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• March 22 comparisons of Romeo and Juliet versions

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

A) Please watch this 65 minute compilation of scenes from various film versions of Romeo and Juliet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u599gvhvrlk3k7c/Romeo%20and%20Juliet%20nondisc.avi?dl=0

1) What did you like about these clips? (Hopefully, they motivate you more to read the play which you may have read in school or avoided doing so…)

2) Which version(s) appeal to you and why? Please explain.

3) Which version(s) bother you and why? Please explain.

By the way, although West Side Story is a largely changed version of Shakespeare’s famous play, it too is a classic, and last a new version, directed by Steven Spielberg was released in 2021.

Mu Song
    Participant

1) I like how they compare the different films since I haven’t really seen them besides one of them. I like how the clips capture the love between Romeo and Juliet regardless of which version of the film is being shown. I also how there are certain twists to some of the stories of Romeo and Juliet like the modern one with guns instead of swords.

2) I like the modern version with the guns in a city since it feels like it’s an interesting take on the original story and makes viewing it feel fun. Another version I like is the one with Leonardo DiCaprio just because I like other films he’s been in and enjoy his acting. Thanks, Mu. Aren’t these two sentences in (2) about the same version, the only one with guns instead of swords?

3) One version that bothers me is the version where Romeo and Juliet are much older since I’m very used to seeing and understanding that Romeo and Juliet are very young and in their teens. I also think that their age is something that plays a major role within the original story as well so I think that seeing them as much older also kind of throws me off.

Tshari Yancey
    Participant

1) I like how we see different perspectives of scenes in the four Romeo and Juliet films. It’s interesting to see the approach the screenwriters & directors took when remaking a classic tale especially the 2013 film, I’ve never heard of it but they seemed to follow the storyline and have the same setting as the play.

2) The one that appealed to me the most was the Baz Luhrmann Romeo + Juliet film because it was one of the first movie adaptations of it I had seen. The cinematography captured my attention with how colorful it was, I also loved how it was modern but we still got the essence of Romeo and Juliet’s passionate/tragic love story. Plus Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio had great onscreen chemistry.

3) The version that bothers me the most is the 1936 version, it misses the point of Romeo and Juliet by casting adults. It makes sense that Romeo and Juliet were teenagers because all the decisions they made were impulsive and hormonal. Adults are Impulsive as well but it wouldn’t be as much pressure to stay away from each other because their families don’t approve.

Alyssa skerret
    Participant

1) What I liked about these clips is that we see different ways the play was demonstrated. The various interpretations bring out unique aspects of the story, revealing the depth of Shakespeare’s work. Each portrayal offers a story of love and tragedy, from traditional to modern settings. The different attires, objects, settings, and language used in these clips show the adaptability of Romeo and Juliet across different cultures and time periods.

2) I prefer the modern-day Romeo and Juliet with Leo DiCaprio because of its unique visuals and aesthetics. It’s always been appealing to me from the moment I first watched it in high school. At the time I didn’t know there was a modern-day Romeo and Juliet. However, the film’s visual style is vibrant and dynamic that is characterized by bold colors, film editing, and camera shots such as close-ups.

3) I have no bother with any of the versions. However, I do agree with my peers that the 1936 version throws the plot a little off because of casting adults. Romeo and Juliet are teenagers who are in love and their actions reflect the characteristic of adolescence.

Angel Padilla
    Participant

1) What I liked about these clips altogether was the multiple ways in which the play is represented. I liked how it showed how each of the actors’ portrayal of the characters as a result. It was really informative and overall pretty engaging.

2) The version that appeals to me the most is  definitely the modern version. I found the performances of each characters to be truly captivating and immersive in comparsion to the older version.

3) The one that bothered me was the 1936 version simply based on the fact that the characters are played by adults when they should be played by teenagers. It breaks the immersion because it isn’t accurate to the story.

TravisBowry
    Participant

1) I like how each adaption of the play has its own uniqueness and twist to it. It shows how timeless the original play is but also shows how many people can interpret one play into many different versions

2) The modern version with Leo DiCaprio of the play appeals most to me. Just how I mentioned in the first question that the play can be adapted into many different versions the modern version seems to be the one that caught my eye out of all the versions in the clip.

3) The 1936 version because of the characters being aged up when they are supposed to be played by younger actors. It’s not a huge problem since that could just be how that director wanted to adapted the play at the time

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.