Films from Literature ENG 2400, Fall 2021 OL 0550

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Three easy questions about the 1962 film...

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Please post your answers in this folder.

A better version of the wording is in the Files folder…

Please look at this very short scene from Lolita. It is nowhere in the novel, but an invention for the
    screenplay. It is barely 40 seconds long.

1) What is the scene about?

2) Do you think it is effective, being all visual with no dialog?

3) What is being suggested by such clothing? Please note, this question does NOT relate to the video clip above.

Justin Alava
    Participant

1) what is the scene about ?
    The Scene shows a man and two women in a drive in movie theater watching a horror film and the man is only comforting the women on his right
    2) do you think it is effective, being all visual and no dialog?
    I think it is because it allows the audience to view it how they want to, makes them want to create a scene in their head
    What is being suggested by such clothing?
    It’s suggested that it’s not from this time period, their style is different compared to modern day

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Justin,

The clothing had to do with two photos that were posted about two weeks ago unrelated to this clip. Nevertheless, you are right about a different period from the novel (set in the late 1940s–early 1950s. The first film used the styles that were current from when it was made.

The second version–made in 1997–used period details to recreate more accurately what the setting of the novel was.

See if you can find the document in Files regarding Charlotte’s costumes.

Gabby
    Participant

This scene is an obvious sign that clearly Humbert decided to rent out the room because he wants to be near Lolita. He has clear favoritism, and has no attraction towards Charlotte.

It’s extremely effective, as it confirms Humbert’s reasons for taking the room.

3) What is being suggested by such clothing? Please note, this question does NOT relate to the video clip above.

I replied to the other thread for this question, but as I stated, Charlotte dresses in animal print as to be a predator, and Humbert is her prey.

Angel Rivera
    Participant

1) This scene if I remember correctly was shown after Humbert moved into Charlotte’s house. Humbert, Charlotte, and Delores watched a Horror film together. This scene shows that Humbert is attracted to Delores because he chose to hold her hand rather than Charlotte’s.

2) I think its effective without dialogue because it conveys Humbert’s intentions through his actions, and Charlotte’s suspicion and disappointment with her facial expressions.

3) I believe the animal prints that Charlotte wears symbolizes that she’s a wild animal in heat. She wore that dress during a scene where Charlotte anticipated that she’d be alone with Humbert, until Delores returned early from the party.

Asif Khan
    Participant

1. The scene is Humbert comforting one of the two women. Humbert married Charlotte but it is obvious that his heart only sees Lolita.
    2. It is effective with no dialogue because we can focus more on the visuals, how Humbert comforts Lolita over the woman he is supposed to love.
    3. The animal prints can mean anything, but it makes Lolita look like more of a nymphet to Humbert, cheetah prints seemed seductive in the older times than they are now, so maybe he was trying to be a hunter trying to find his prey.

Steven Mendez
    Participant

The scence is about Humbert and the two woman watching a horror movie and him only comfarting one woman.

I think is effective with no dialog

3) What is being suggested by such clothing?

The animal print is her looking for a new prey for example Humbert and Charlotte is the predator

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.