Films from Literature ENG 2400, Fall 2021 OL 0550

• 10/25 Psycho supplements -- your replies
  • #75512

Prof. Masiello

The below links are intended for those who have already watched the full film Psycho. It has spoilers.

I) https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbuepf05hxe3avf/Psycho%2052%20doc%20ex.avi?dl=0

The above 15.5 minute excerpts are from a recent full-length documentary on what is perhaps the most famous scene in movie history.

Questions:

1a) What do you feel you learned about the scene and how it was put together?
    2a) Explain some aspects of this presentation that you enjoyed (or not) and why.
    3a) Ask a question that comes to mind about the making of this scene.

II) https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo1ub9hciklaveo/Psycho%20misc%202020.avi?dl=0

This one is 21.5 minutes and has entertaining information about how Alfred Hitchcock promoted his controversial film with his sense of humor and his mastery of suspense.

It also shows some of the enduring references to this film in our culture.

Questions:

1c) Mention any things that surprised you in this presentation or the 1960 film itself.

2c) Were there any things referred to in this presentation that you had already seen on your own
    prior to seeing the film and these compilations?

All the above questions can be done concurrently with reading the novel or afterward.

#75517

Gabby

Part I:

I feel like I now really understand how they use Marion’s sex appeal to keep viewers so engaged. She is obviously a very attractive woman, and there’s this appeal of her doing something illegal, and never losing her confidence as she tries getting away with it. So the shower scene was extremely interesting because she’s anxious during her entire run, until the moment she’s showering. It was like she was ‘cleaning’ herself from her bad intentions. It was literal, sure, but she seemed much more at ease in the shower.

My favorite thing was that Hitchcock explains why he wanted the film to be in black and white. He thought that the shower-stabbing scene was too graphic, and the color of blood was too explicit. The black and white definitely makes the film easier to watch, since blood is really gore-ish and gruesome.

Is there a reason why the scene wasn’t as bloody as it should have been? She was stabbed more than 10 times, and the amount of blood seemed too little for how many times she was struck.
    Well, that is a terrific question, Gabby, but I would think with the shower on the whole time the blood would have been diluted and washing down the drain while Marion was in the tub.

Part II:

I’m surprised about how many sort of small remakes/reenactments/references are made on/about Psycho. The book and film established themselves as classics, and even in the 21st, continues to flourish.

I’ve watched Bates Motel (2013-2017), which was a very interesting show based on Psycho. So I had a good idea of what I was getting into when finally seeing what the show is based on.

#75533

weipeng lin

Questions:

I feel like the filmmaker is trying to attract and take control of the audience’s attention because of how they filmed one of the female actor roles as Marion Canes a scene where she takes a shower. And with that being said they used a point of view shot which makes the audience feel they are in there with her. Also, they used different types of camera angles and also added sound effects of an intense moment where she is about to get stabbed just as any horror film would.

I didn’t like how the shots of Marion Canes being stabbed. It doesn’t seem realistic or believable. I say this because nowadays if you watch any horror movies it shows blood splattering everywhere and the victim being stabbed in. For example, if you watch The Walking Dead 2010 one of the actor’s roles is Michonne you can see her slicing off the zombie’s head.

How was the scene organized? In other words where was the fake blood hidden to make the scene?

Questions:

I’m surprised how the film A Single Man 2009 nearly had the same scene as Psycho 1960. Both have to do with the same emotions meaning they both looked nervous and I’m also guessing because they’ve done something wrong/guilty at first to have that kind of feeling.

I’ve never seen any of the films that were shown in the presentation except the film that I recently watched Psycho 1960.

#75554

Shania Tennant

– The directors, I discovered, had the shot where the knife actually interacted with Marion’s body reversed. The actor pressed the knife on her skin and then took it away, but the scene was later inverted to make it appear as though she had been stabbed.

– I liked how the directors matched the music to Marion’s heartbeat while she was being butchered. It gave it a unique feel and was quite clever.

– Why didn’t they show any stab wounds when Marion’s body was leaned over at the end? She was stabbed several times, yet when it was over she seems as if she hasn’t been touched at all. The only sign we had was a small amount of blood running down the drain.

– Seeing the ‘Psycho’ poster in other films, such as ‘A Single Man,’ and how closely they referenced the film surprised me. I enjoy how the film is so well-known that everyone has made a remake or a reference to it in some way.

– The shower scene was something I’d seen before, and I knew the actress who played Marion was Janet Leigh, who is Jamie Lee Curtis’ mother, and Jamie performed a tribute to her mother’s iconic murder scene in ‘Scream Queens’. I’ve also heard of ‘Bates Motel,’ but I’ve never seen it and had no idea it was based on ‘Psycho.’ I only recently realized the link between the two.

#75990

Asher Derry

The analysis of the use of space was interesting because when I initially watched the film I felt like the shower scene was intended to convey a relative view of the experience through Marion’s perspective. The critics, however, seemed to point to only certain cuts representing a relative view, and instead suggested that the scene was shot to convey a feeling of the viewer being present in the room, as if a fly on the wall (albeit with feelings and emotions).

The multi-screen comparison shots really helped show the visual “call backs” throughout the scene to show the changing situation. I wasn’t surprised that the fake blood was Hershey’s syrup – the behavior of the “blood” in the water was remarkably different than that of real blood, and to me detracted from being able to connect to the scene. I also found it interesting that the technique for blackening the face of Norman’s stand-in to keep the identity of the killer vague was thought up by a crewmember rather than Hitchcock himself. The commentary on Marion’s happiness seemed to miss the key element of the short story that was being portrayed through limitations of film censorship in the 60s – the dance that Marion did in front of the mirror in the short story was the ultimate violation in Norman’s mind, and presumably triggered “Norma’s” manifestation. Such a scene would surely have been too seductive for Hitchcock’s 1960 audience.

How did they get the huge cameras of the day into such a small space?

I didn’t realize that the “Psycho Universe” was so large with as many sequels, spinoffs, and references as mentioned in this presentation.

2c) Were there any things referred to in this presentation that you had already seen on your own prior to seeing the film and these compilations?

I personally had never seen any of these films or shows before, although I was familiar with the music and branding of Norman Bates.

#76177

Tatiana B.

Part I:
    It is my understanding the film maker attempts to illicit control over the audience by trying to convey sex appeal through the use of a female lead actress. The shower scene is intended to show Marion’s experience through his point of view. For this to take place many different camera angles were used to capture each scene. Some of the angles are intense enough to allow the viewer a more realistic view point.

I thoroughly enjoyed Hitchcock’s explanation as to his reason of wanting the film in black and white. I did not like the excessive scenes of Marion Crane being stabbed. Today’s films show you can instill fear in your viewers without the gory dramatization. Furthermore, I liked how the soundtrack interacted with different characters, the multiscreen scenes allowed a thorough visual representation which allows viewers to be connected with what they’re viewing.

Is there a reason the film was not as gory as I anticipated? I assumed due to its 1960s audience the film would be gorier.

Part II:
    I am shocked to see there are so many renditions of the classic film “Psycho” . It is quie impressive to see how many people interpret the film. It is equally shocking to note how well the story and film allowed for so many remakes.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any of the other films that were shown. I am however highly intrigued of what each film is about.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)