Films from Literature ENG 2400, Fall 2021 OL 0550

• 10/08 Point of View (POV)
  • #75296

Prof. Masiello

POV (Point of View)

Please go to this link. It is an 83-minute presentation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxdqqknzh25gj63/POV%202021.avi?dl=0

Questions for discussion:

1) Other than voice-over narration, have you ever noticed anything in any films that you would have identified as a POV shot prior to our video compilation? Please explain.

2) Please discuss something you feel you learned from this presentation.

3) Please mention something you liked about the video clips.

4) Please ask any question brought to mind about POV in films.

#75300

Shania Tennant

1. When a filmmaker uses the camera to make it look like the audience is looking through the eyes of the actor, this is what I would call a POV shot. We observed what the Predator would have seen with his heat vision in The Predator, for example. It provides us a sense of what the audience perceives from a single character’s point of view.

2. I learned that in movies, having diverse perspectives creates a better scenario and makes the audience feel as if they are right there with the performers.

3. When the character was looking in the mirror in Enter The Void, I enjoyed how the screen went dark when he washed his face, signaling his hands moving and being in the field of view from his gaze. It was fascinating to see, and it provides a more realistic perspective because we are expected to see what he sees.

Yes, Shania, it is interesting. However, the whole movie is hard to watch, so I do not recommend it. If you do ever watch it, you my understand my trepidation…

4. When shooting first-person POV, the performers’ arms are sometimes visible when they are performing something that is being shown. What is the procedure that is being followed there? Does the actor stand behind the camera or do they carry a smaller camera on their person so they can still walk about and utilize their arms? Like for example how did the camera display the actors’ arms and feet in the movie Cloverfield?

Shania, yes, someone’s hands are there because someone is actually holding a camera (as you can do with your cellphone). Since the face is not shown, it could be a standing or the actual camera-person whose arms you see.

#75301

weipeng lin

Other than the voice of narration I noticed that POV shots are identified as how it is related to the person’s perspective. And also POV shots show the person specifically from the camera. In other words, the camera shots are pointed towards the person to show their facial expression and whose talking. For example in the film The Birds 1963 the camera is pointed in front of the person that is speaking and the others in the background are faded out to create a POV shot. Well, POV shots in the films are the first person point of view to allow the audience to see things from the character’s perspective

POV shots are necessary to allow the audience to see the character. In other words, POV shots act as the character’s eye and it allows the audience to see what they see. If you heard of VR headsets they are the same as POV shots viewing in the first person’s point of view and It feels like you are in that specific environment.

Yes, I am aware that computer and video games use POV all the time.

I liked how the POV shots were so stable and smooth. In the film Atonement 2006, I liked how when the little girl is staring out of the window the POV shots come in and out from third person to first person.

How many takes does it need to create these types of POV shots?

WeiPeng, I imagine it may be easier than regular shots, but the number of takes depends on the director and the DP (director of photography) since things can go wrong in front of the camera and they want the best possible shot.

#75302

Angel Rivera

1) Years ago I’ve went to the movie theatres with my father to watch Cloverfield. The movie was filmed entirely from the POV of the video recorder the characters had. (I typed this before I saw the example in the presentation)

2) In this presentation, I learned that POV can be used on inanimate objects, as shown in Little Shop of Horrors. It can also be used in viewpoints that aren’t where the character’s eyes are, as shown in the example after that.

3) I liked how each example showed a different way to utilize POV. I believe if a filmmaker was to watch this, it would give them ideas on how they should film some of their scenes.

4) There was some examples where there was a lot of movement, such as The Evil Dead. I was wondering if POV scenes with a lot of movement can cause motion sickness.

Angel, Perhaps motion sickness has happened to very sensitive people, but they may avoid horror films for other reasons. The only warning I have ever seen before a film is shown is when there are flashing lights because people with epilepsy can have seizures when they see such flashing (strobe) lights. Interesting question.

#75303

Gabby

I can’t say any specific movies, but sometimes they make the camera move as if its the character running, as well as add the heavy breathing and looking around. The camera will also look down at ‘them,’ like looking down at their hands and feet. It almost makes you feel like you are the person, if that makes sense.

Sure, that is the intention!

I learned that POV shots don’t require a character to be conscious. In Snatch (2000), three men are hovering over a clearly dead man, as they discuss he’s been shot in the face. The camera laying down on the floor makes it feel like he’s looking up at them, but in reality, he’s actually no longer alive.

I like that POV shots can vary. They don’t have to necessarily be through the eyes of a character, but also animals. Like in War Horse (2011), where we can see what the horse sees through its reflection. And of course, in Jaws (1975) where its exactly through the eyes of the shark. Animal POVs are interesting, since you forget that animals, too, witness and see everything that catches their attention.

Also, Gabby, think of how many times you have seen movies from the POV inside a mailbox or through binoculars. Such creative shots are meant to add visual interest. They are not important, just enjoyable to see.

I was wondering what sort of POV shot was in Trainspotting (1996)? We watch from inside the needle as the drug is pushed into his arm, and the liquid disappears like when you turn off a sink.

Well, it was an extreme closeup which was probably done as an effect since I doubt any medical camera was used. It was most likely a setup using items larger than a hypodermic needle.

#75308

Justin Alava

1) Other than voice-over narration, have you ever noticed anything in any films that you would have identified as a POV shot prior to our video compilation? Please explain:
    I did, it was in a movie about a video game, I can’t remember the name but I remember how you could see what’s going on from the character POV in a hand to hand combat scene.
    2) Please discuss something you feel you learned from this presentation:
    I learned that in movies, having different options in which allows the audience to create different perspectives creates a better scenario and makes the audience feel as if they are in the movie with them.
    3) please mention something you like about the video clips:
    I liked how POV shots don’t always have to be in the guys of the character, they could also be of animals. I like viewing movies through as many angles as possible.
    4) Please ask any question brought to mind about POV in films:
    When was POV shooting first Introduced into the filming industry?

Angel,

The first films were extremely short and silent. What is considered the first Western (cowboy) movie is The Great Train Robbery. It is very unsophisticated compared to later films, of course, but it ends with a curious POV shot. Just watch the last minute for to “money shot”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT6Pz9t89Lk (The shot is shown at the beginning of this clip also.)

I imagine it was thrilling to audiences way back when, when movies were a new thing (1903).

#75310

Prof. Masiello

Shania,

Your question about the camera holder’s arms is a good one. I imagine those arms probably belong to the actor playing the character since in most such cases the actors do not require stunt doubles, nor are they such demanding superstars that they might object to not having their faces appear in those scenes.

#75311

Prof. Masiello

Weipeng,

The number of takes any type of scene requires can vary depending on the director’s choices. Some directors, like Stanley Kubrick, are very

particular and may shoot numerous takes. Less talented directors, like Ed Wood, from the 1950s, had small budgets so they probably gravitated to just having one take most of the time.

If a scene involves explosions of important props or long tracking shots more pre-planning has to occur so they can get it right the first time.

Even major movies sometimes have errors that slip by. These are fun facts that you can find on YouTube. Here is one such video:

#75312

Prof. Masiello

Angel,

I never heard of someone getting motion sickness while watching a movie but there are cases where lots of flashing, pulsating lights, like in a disco dance sequence, can cause epileptics to have seizures. When such scenes are shown at home on TV, the broadcasters will give advance warning about the lights.

#75313

Prof. Masiello

Justin,

That is a good question about when POV shots started. I have to guess that once story films began in the silent era, creative directors would use close-ups and POV shots soon followed. Only voice-over narration, as in Forest Gump, could not yet occur because there were no voices.

TCM shows silent movies on Sunday late nights, around midnight. You should try to watch a few to see how creative the early filmmakers were.

#75314

Prof. Masiello

Gabby,

Those are very interesting comments, like about the POV of a dead man.

As for the extreme close-ups and sound effects of a hypodermic needle, those are creative choices that add to the enjoyment of the viewer. Many POV shots of inanimate objects are unnecessary but creative and fun. Perhaps the needle in Trainspotting is to make people really think about the whole concept of injecting fluid into one’s body.

#75706

Steven Mendez

Yes I cant recall the movie titles but in some movies when someone wakes up drunk or from a knockout where the eyes is opening and closing and it keeps happening until the character eyes is completely opened.

Usually, such sequences start out blurry and then gradually come into focus.

What I learned from this presnetation is that in movies having different various options of POV shots allows the audience to create different perspectives and creates a much better scene and makes the audience feel like as if they are were in the movie with the characters.

I really liked how each example showed a different way to utilize POV in films

What made the first director that ever used POV shot come up with it ?

Well, Steven, the early filmmakers had to come up with new ideas. They were pioneers. It probably was almost intuitive, if one is telling a story, that POV shots would become interesting during a conversation between two people so the director would get reaction shots from the person being spoken to.

#76165

Tatiana B.

Yes, I have noticed that when there is focus on a main character in a film it is usually from that person’s point of view. I also noticed that when a camera is angled a certain way that usually the characters point of view is being told.

I learned that POV shots are subtle in movement and can show how a person’s point of view is being depicted .Camera placement allows writers to accomplish a shift in view or different character view. When writers are filming a child’s point of view this is done so with lower camera angles. This makes me think of films such as Annie 1982 or Baby’s Day Out 1994 where the film is done through a child’s point of view.

I liked the overall cinematic presentation. I enjoyed seeing films that depicted alternation point of view methods for instance, in Silence of the Lambs 1991, the film shows the point of view of FBI agent then alternates to the point of view of the character who is listening this creates creepiness and suspense of what will happen next.

4) Please ask any question brought to mind about POV in films

Do actors film the parts where it appears they are holding the camera?
    If a film is done entirely in POV would it restrict how much personality you give the protagonist?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)