English 1101-0384

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Declaration of Human Rights

Katelyn Rossette
    Participant

Article 07 “ All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.”

To me article 7 means that all people are equal and are protected without discrimination (based on race, age, sexuality,etc.) before the law, and if felt discriminated against the Declaration they are protected. Which means that humans are all & should be seen as equal when it comes to authority (governments officials, police, etc.) Though this is stated, I feel as though it is not implemented. Connecting to what’s going on today, there are a countless number of cases where black and brown people are being killed simply because of the color of their skin or their sexuality, by police officers. They’re being discriminated against, going against the declaration (7), which doesn’t allow them a fair case. It can be as simple as the authority’s feel threatened by civilians for things as simply looking a certain way or fitting a stereotype.
    I believe in order to make a change, there needs to be a change in the system. Whether it be making the authorities take more time in training and educating when they are in hostile situations or holding them accountable for their actions. With the media, it only sparks more outrage and wanting a change, when a man or woman is killed based off a stereotype or the color of their skin.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.