ENG1142 Introduction to Poetry Writing Fall 2021

active 1 year, 6 months ago
English
ENG 1142

Students practice the craft of writing effective lyric, narrative and experimental poems, studying poems by accomplished poets and producing poems of their own in a seminar and workshop setting. Key concepts and skills include observation and description, the use of persona, imagery, metaphor, connotation, sound, line breaks, structure in poetry, syntax and grammar. The course incorporates a variety of cultural perspectives in the theory and practice of writing poetry.

Acknowledgements

This course was created by: Rob Ostrom

This course has been cloned or re-cloned 3 times; view clone(s).

POETRY MANIFESTO ASSIGNMENT

For your final assignment, I want you to write a manifesto. These can be “any damn thing you w […] See MorePOETRY MANIFESTO ASSIGNMENT

Cento Assignment

Our presentations have drawn to an end. To conclude this part of the class, I'd like each of you […] See MoreCento Assignment

I Write this Ghazal So I Won’t Have to Think about What’s Really Happening - Pam Davenport

What bliss there is in blueness.  ~Vladimir Nabokov Blue dawn air, blue rooftops, the hazy h […] See MoreI Write this Ghazal So I Won’t Have to Think about What’s Really Happening - Pam Davenport

Comment on "POETRY MANIFESTO ASSIGNMENT"

I want to create a world where cheating in love doesn't exist, a world where the word sadness […] See MoreComment on "POETRY MANIFESTO ASSIGNMENT"

Comment on "Memory Keeper of the Garden"

Wow. I love how this poem captures this special place, a place of beauty and refuge. See MoreComment on "Memory Keeper of the Garden"