ENG1141-D310 Intro to Creative Writing, SP2024

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.

• Poetry Assignment Reflection

Eshal
    Participant

The two form of poetry I chose to write were; free verse and abecedarian. I chose free verse because there is no limit to what I can write about with this format as well as the fact that I can write this poem in any style I desire, I feel free. This format also allowed me to explore my own writing and write about things I usually wouldn’t have thought of. It was like a clear blank page waiting for me to fill it up. Although it took a while to start my poem once I was able to go past the starting line I kept writing. As for why I chose abecedarian, I chose abecedarian because it really went along with what my topic for my poem, “seventh avenue memories” was about, and even more so fit my topic because it helped me come up with new sentences and words that wouldn’t have popped up in my head had it not been for that fact that I had to start each sentence with a new alphabet and also do it in the alphabetical order. I also feel like it relayed the message I was trying to say even better and gave it even more feeling to the poem. This was honestly a little challenging especially when it came to the letter “X” but it was really fun.

Eshal
    Participant

oussmane
    Participant

I chose Abecedarian and the Pantoum forms for my poetry assignment. I Have never heard of either styles before and found them to be very interesting. The abecedarian style forced me to expand my vocabulary whilst the pantoum helped me practice staying within a specific rhyme scheme. I had fun with both forms and they brought out a side to me that I don’t often make use of. Id practice with both styles again.

Cortes Edward
    Participant

The two forms that I had chosen were the Abecedarian and the pantoum. I chose these because they were interesting to me. I had actually never seen either of these before. It piqued my interest because of all the way that one can express a thought or a story. I had found that there could be great poetic structure with the Abecedarian, it challenged me to think in a less linear way. The Pantoum helped me think of the same situations but from different perspectives or person and in the perspective of time. </span></p>

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Cortes Edward.

Brendan Hysa
    Participant

For my poetry assignment, I chose to write an abecedarian and pantoum. I wrote the abecedarian because out of all the options, it seemed the most intriguing as it was the most unique piece, having to write 27 lines and having the starting word start with a to z in alphabetical order was tricky. All the while trying to make a poem that made sense as well was a task that sounded not only fun but also hard especially when it came to picking words for letters like x and z. But while writing I had the most fun trying to pick out certain words and formulate different sentences so that my poem could describe what I wanted to talk about, which in my case was how thankful I am to be alive.

Next, I chose the pantoum because I was curious to see how my free verse of just a few lines would sound after we mixed and matched them. It was cool to see how previous sentences fit into my next stanza and if id have to change my sentence so that it would fit in or if it just worked out naturally. Ultimately writing this poem was very fun as well and worked like a dime as I was putting it together. It was such a unique way of writing that I almost immediately knew that I wanted to do it.

Out of every option, I think the ones I chose were the best as it was the ones that mostly relied upon the writers’ creativity.

Brendan Hysa
    Participant

For my poetry assignment, I chose to write an abecedarian and pantoum. I wrote the abecedarian because out of all the options, it seemed the most intriguing as it was the most unique piece, having to write 27 lines and having the starting word start with a to z in alphabetical order was tricky. All the while trying to make a poem that made sense as well was a task that sounded not only fun but also hard especially when it came to picking words for letters like x and z. But while writing I had the most fun trying to pick out certain words and formulate different sentences so that my poem could describe what I wanted to talk about, which in my case was how thankful I am to be alive.

Next, I chose the pantoum because I was curious to see how my free verse of just a few lines would sound after we mixed and matched them. It was cool to see how previous sentences fit into my next stanza and if id have to change my sentence so that it would fit in or if it just worked out naturally. Ultimately writing this poem was very fun as well and worked like a dime as I was putting it together. It was such a unique way of writing that I almost immediately knew that I wanted to do it.

Out of every option, I think the ones I chose were the best as it was the ones that mostly relied upon the writers’ creativity. This assignment was very fun.

Ayman
    Participant

The two types of poem I decided to do we’re a free verse and a pantoum. I did a pantoum because it was simple and pretty self explanatory. I was also happy with the results at the end of the assignment when we we’re assigned it. With the free verse I had an idea and pursued it and made it about school. I feel like I chose this because of the enjoyability I had when I saw the reactions of my peers. It made me happy

Jacky Lin
    Participant

I chose to write an abecedarian because I found the limit of using specific words that started with a specific letter to not be much of a limit and more of a way for me to come up with more creative connections. It was really fun using words that I wouldn’t normally use in a casual conversation. I felt like I was really putting the random words that I learned to use here when I wouldn’t be able to in any other way. It also helped that the topic I was writing on had a lot of slang that helped with the harder letters like x within xenophobia and y within the name of the game “yugioh”.

I chose to write a free verse because I wanted to write about something in a extra creative way and the freedom that free verse gives would help me do that best compared to the other written forms. I felt that limits would inhibit my ability to tell the story I wanted to tell the way I wanted to tell it. I wanted to be more descriptive with this topic and make it more metaphorical than I normally write things. I wanted to write a poem that really felt like a traditional poem with its imagery and hidden meanings.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.