ENG1121-D454: ENGLISH COMP II, SP2024

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.

• Discussion Board 4: Op-Ed Thesis Statement and One Citation

Jennifer Sears
    Participant
    • On this discussion board, post your working thesis statement and one citation you will use in your essay, using MLA format as best as you can.
    • This discussion board is due by the end of the day on Sunday, March 23.
    • More information on this assignment and the library visit are on this post:

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/searseng1121-d454/2024/03/20/eng-1101-session-15-march-20-follow-up-notes-and-homework/

Jasmine Friday
    Participant

As humans beings, we need to acknowledge the dangerous and the risks of global warming. To understand and determine the reason for natural chaos, the fluctuations of sea level, and the mass extinction of various plants and animals on the earth due to global warming.

Miller D.A. (2009) Global warming. Lucent Books.

Jaden
    Participant

Referees in soccer are ruining the game with their inconsistencies, and it’s at an all time high. Some balance and rules need to be set in place to keep the game competitive and fair.

Nuno says poor decisions are affecting Forest relegation fight; The Forest manager has highlighted a few incidents where he felt

Premier League referees made poor decisions that affected his side.” Telegraph Online, 14 Mar. 2024, p. NA. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A786463304/OVIC?u=cuny_nytc&sid=bookmark-OVIC&xid=ba604cf5. Accessed 20 Mar. 2024.

Ambrielle
    Participant

Every women should have the right to do what they want with their bodies, and not permitting abortions does not allow women to make decisions on their reproductive health, which results in negative social and psychological aspects.

Orlando Sentinel Editorial Board. “Florida’s Anti-Abortion Bill Will Hurt Vulnerable Women in the State.” Gale opposing viewpoints online collection, Gale, 2024.

http://link.gale.com/apps/doc/XLEYBX754407124/OVIC?u=cuny_nytc&sid=bookmark-OVIC&xid=34ba24b4. Accessed 20 Mar. 2024. Originally published as “Abortion bill hits hardest at the most vulnerable,” Orlando Sentinel, 7 Feb. 2022.

Tanaiya
    Participant

The use of rat poison all over the city has been a significant threat to the well-being of dogs and their owners due to  accidental ingestion. This has lead to severe health complications and even fatalities. Therefore greater regulations and/ or alternative pest control strategies needs to be put in place to avoid the risk of harming our pets.

Mitchell, Alex. “Three Dogs Die after Allegedly Ingesting Poison Outside of NYC Apartment Building.”</span><span style=”caret-color: #000000; color: #000000; text-indent: -1cm; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”> </span><i style=”caret-color: #000000; color: #000000; text-indent: -1cm; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>New York Post</i><span style=”caret-color: #000000; color: #000000; text-indent: -1cm; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>, New York Post, 14 Nov. 2022, nypost.com/2022/11/14/three-dogs-die-after-allegedly-ingesting-poison-in-nyc/#.</span><span style=”caret-color: #000000; color: #000000; text-indent: -1cm; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”> </span>

Tanaiya
    Participant

This is the proper citation  to my post . I don’t know why it came out like that before.
    Mitchell, Alex. “Three Dogs Die after Allegedly Ingesting Poison Outside of NYC Apartment Building.” <i>New York Post</i>, New York Post, 14 Nov. 2022, nypost.com/2022/11/14/three-dogs-die-after-allegedly-ingesting-poison-in-nyc/#.

Brianna Brand
    Participant

Topic:Limited Space on CUNY Campuses

In recent months attending a CUNY University, I realized how providing social spaces on college campuses has become a useful staple to students. As our student community continues to grow having old and new students arriving to campus daily, the need for multiple cafeterias and lounge spaces has become an important issue.

Sidenote…I’m still trying to find a source that backs up my thesis since my topic is very specific and broad..

-Brianna Briand

chipun kam
    Participant

The alarming frequency of school shootings in the United States, resulting in numerous casualties, underscores the urgent need for comprehensive gun control measures. Unlike many other countries, the US struggles to address this deadly trend, prompting calls for stricter regulations to prevent further tragedies and protect public safety.

-chipun kam

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by chipun kam.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by chipun kam.

Eshal
    Participant

Topic: Nurses deserve more appreciation

I realized just how much nurses don’t really receive the amount of appreciation and respect that they truly deserve even though they work really hard and care for the patients with their whole heart. Though they do do their best to make sure every patient is cared for and even distract them to make them happier during their stay by providing fun activities, they’re not as appreciated compared to doctors simply because they don’t have that “doctor” title. Not getting enough appreciation could alter work performances and motivation form the nurses.

A source I plan to use is;

Aly, Howida Abo, et al. “Relationship Between Staff Nurse Motivation Level and Patient Satisfaction In Selected Hospital and the Appreciation are Staff Nurse Motivation and Patient Satisfaction.” Egyptian Nursing Journal vol. 20, no. 1, Jan.-Apr. 2023, p. 131. Gale Academic OneFile link.gale.com/apps/doc/A760028520/AONE?u=cuny_nytc&sid=bookmark-AONE&xid=5cfc0c7e. Accessed 24 Mar. 2024.

Ayman
    Participant

Thesis:

Social media has significantly altered the way we communicate, interact, and perceive the world, and while it offers numerous benefits, its pervasive influence raises concerns about privacy, mental health, and societal cohesion.

Citation:
    de Hesselle, Lea  C., and Christian Montag. “Effects of a 14-Day Social Media Abstinence on Mental Health and Well-Being: Results from an Experimental Study.” <i>Gale In Context</i>, BioMed Central Ltd., 13 Mar. 2024, go-gale-com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/ps/retrieve.do?tabID=Journals&resultListType=RESULT_LIST&searchResultsType=MultiTab&retrievalId=f80a4c63-9e90-40ac-8410-d40762039322&hitCount=63&searchType=BasicSearchForm&currentPosition=1&docId=GALE%7CA786375497&docType=Report&sort=Relevance&contentSegment=ZXAY-MOD1&prodId=OVIC&pageNum=1&contentSet=GALE%7CA786375497&searchId=R4&userGroupName=cuny_nytc&inPS=true.

ROBERT.TEXIDOR
    Participant

as elections draw closer we need our voice to be heard even more prominently. why should we allow the Electoral College to stop us from having a say in who leads us?
    <div class=”csl-entry”>Neale, T. H. (2021). <i>The electoral college : options for change and 117th Congress proposals</i> ([Library of Congress public edition].). Congressional Research Service.</div>

David S
    Participant

Not many people will know much about Global Warming and how it can be killing us little by little right now as we speak. The whole world may be effected by Global Warming. But before looking at the whole world, New York City should be a point of interest in all of this.

CharlieU
    Participant

Colleges should provide adequate academic,mental and financial assistance to college athletes to help them succeed on and off the field.

Crocker, Bradley, et al. “Composite Vignettes of Challenges Faced by Canadian Collegiate Student-Athletes Negotiating the Demands of University Life.” Psychology of Sport & Exercise, vol. 55, July 2021, p. N.PAG. EBSCOhost, https://doi-org.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/10.1016/j.psychsport.2021.101937.

AndyT
    Participant

Students and colleges alike must be aware and ready to prevent a case of cyber attacks or breach of  internet security. After covid most schools and colleges around the country have integrated technology to be more essential to the way we go about our education. If we are to trust a system with our assignments or sensitive information we make be certain that it not outdated and made to protect thousands of students from bad actors.

Elsen-Rooney, Michael. “NYC Schools’ Cybersecurity Push Has Some Fearing Unintended Consequences.” <i>Chalkbeat</i>, Chalkbeat, 31 Oct. 2023, http://www.chalkbeat.org/newyork/2023/9/18/23879342/new-york-city-cybersecurity-email-data-breach-rules-nyc-schools-education-department/.

Maria Rahman
    Participant

Even though this is not uncommon in the West,. It’s a global issue in many other places.The negative aspects of child marriages have been ignored and forgotten.Child marriage is a morally repugnant practice.

Kyu Han Lee, Atique Iqbal Chowdhury, Qazi Sadeq-ur Rahman, Solveig A. Cunningham, Shahana Parveen and Sanwarul Bari</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.2; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: ‘Open Sans’,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Date:  July 19, 2023</span></p>
    <span id=”docs-internal-guid-3786f2c3-7fff-d5ef-addc-afac68288078″> </span>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.