ENG1101-D401 English Comp, FA2023

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• "The World According to Bad Bunny" Sentences and Paragraphs

Adin Dobkin
    Participant

Please share in the space below!

Samanta lopez gil
    Participant

I liked the part in which in the epidemic of femicides that Latin America was living he made a song “Solo de mi.” I am channeling his voice, in the video, through a woman’s bruised mouth: I am not yours I am not anybody’s I belong only to myself. I would like to think that he did it as a protest or to express his disagreement with the situation in Latin America since in these countries of this part of the world gender violence and abuse of women’s rights continue even in current times. Personally, I am not a fan of Bad Bunny, but I must admit that the song sounds good and has a good rhythm. One of the biggest problems facing Latin America is violence against women. Still, it is not mentioned much in social media or on television so it does not have the visibility it should and for that reason, the problem worsens instead of improving. Women are not only the ones affected by men’s violence but also girls who are sexually abused.

Paragraph- “Bad Bunny has a preternatural feel for the needs of the moment, but his interventions very rarely come off as dutiful or didactic. He seems, instead, to be doing whatever he wants – at least, that’s the claim of his album’s title, “YHLQMDLG”: Yo hago lo que me da la gana. He performs the expressive freedom we wish we could, clearing the global stage not only for the charismatic spectacle of our joy but also for the impossible demands of our grief. He paints his nails purple. He talks about depression out loud, in public. He waves the Puerto Rican flag from the back of a flatbed truck in the middle of a massive street protest. He disappears for long stretches from social media – then emerges, looking sullen, to register to vote.”
    Sentence- “It’s a kind of historical corrective: Since reggaeton went pop all over the world, I don’t feel like people really know the sound that raised me, that I grew up studying.”

Alicia
    Participant

Sentence:  Earlier this year, the host of the Dominican show “Alofoke Sin Censura” asked him why he is rarely seen stunting in designer logos and chains, he replied: ” My jewels are my songs.” In today’s capricious economy, Benito knows where his true wealth resides.

The article was very interesting overall but that sentence, rather two sentences stood out to me initially. I have never heard of Bad Bunny at all, up until last year or earlier this year when I was at work and  my co worker shared with me that she was super excited to be going the Bad Bunny concert. When I asked her who was that she almost passed out.

That sentence stood out to me because it’s very rare that artists his age are so humble. Most young artists, once they “make it” in the music industry, splurge on materialistic items such as clothing, jewelry, automobiles etc. Attempting, I guess, to make a statement that they can now afford things they once couldn’t. His response to the host of the Dominican show made me think about how much he really values his craft and all the hard work he had to do, to get to the level where he is at today.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Alicia.

Salma Beshir
    Participant

Paragraph:  And if tomorrow I die, I’m already used to living in the clouds. In 2018, amid an epidemic of femicides in Latin America, he released “Solo de Mi,” channeling his voice, in the video, through a woman’s bruised mouth: I’m not anybody’s, I belong only to myself. Now, in 2020, in this maldito ano neuvo, he has given us a little something to take the edge off in quarantine: “Las que Iban No a Salir,” 10 unreleased tracks from the “YHLQMDLG” sessions.

Sentence: In 2018, amid an epidemic of femicides in Latin America, he released “Solo de Mi,” channeling his voice, in the video, through a woman’s bruised mouth: I’m not anybody’s, I belong only to myself. 

Aaron B.
    Participant

Paragraph: “Lately, though, the crisis seems like a historical period we can track, improbably, in relation to the career of Benito Antonio MartĂ­nez Ocasio. He exploded onto the mĂşsica urbana scene as Bad Bunny in 2016, when he was just 22, with the emo trap ballad “Soy Peor”: If I was a son of a bitch before, now I’m worse … because of you. That was the year the United States Congress passed PROMESA, the law that subjected Puerto Rico to a pitiless payment plan for its debt crisis. Then, in 2017, Hurricane Maria hit, and nine months later Bad Bunny released “Estamos Bien,” the defiant anthem of battered dreamers: And if tomorrow I die, I’m already used to living in the clouds. In 2018, amid an epidemic of femicides in Latin America, he released “SĂłlo de MĂ­,” channeling his voice, in the video, through a woman’s bruised mouth: I’m not yours, I’m not anybody’s, I belong only to myself. Now, in 2020, in this maldito año nuevo, he has given us a little something to take the edge off in quarantine: “Las Que No Iban a Salir,” 10 unreleased tracks from the “YHLQMDLG” sessions.”

Sentence: “He performs the expressive freedom we wish we could, clearing the global stage not only for the charismatic spectacle of our joy but also for the impossible demands of our grief.”

Thoughts: As someone who has listened to and enjoyed his music, the encrypted messages behind his lyrics, titles, and albums have been something that has never caught my attention. The paragraph shines a light on a different perspective of Bad Bunny which may not be recognized as commonly. Some of which the sentence elaborates more on the motives behind these choices. A practice that is becoming more common in many artists around the world today.

Asadbek mukhiddinov
    Participant

Technically, reggaeton isn’t really “from” any one place — Jamaica, Panama and New York City were all crucial sites in its development in the early ’90s — but it established itself as a commercial force in Puerto Rico, which is uniquely positioned to amplify diasporic music. “We’ve always been good bridges because of the colonial situation,” said the rapper Residente, formerly of Calle 13, on a recent Zoom call, “the missing link that’s needed to make the rhythm work.” Despite the packaging of reggaeton as global pop, a palpable tension remains between Puerto Rico’s subjugated political status and its boisterous, filthy, defiant and now world-dominating music. This is especially true of the music B enito makes as Bad Bunny. Earlier this year, the host of the Dominican show “Alofoke Sin Censura” asked him why he is rarely seen stunting in designer logos and chains, and he replied: “My jewels are my songs.” In today’s capricious economy, Benito knows where his true wealth

sentence: Bad Bunny has a preternatural feel for the needs of the moment, but his interventions very rarely come off as dutiful or didactic.

briahna1720
    Participant

Line:

<span style=”font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 24px;”> “He waves the Puerto Rican flag from the back of a flatbed truck in the middle of a massive street protest.”</span>

Paragraph:

<span style=”font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 24px;”>   “This is not to say there wasn’t, and isn’t still, plenty of misogyny and homophobia to go around in </span><em style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; text-size-adjust: 100%; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-variant-east-asian: inherit; font-variant-alternates: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 24px; line-height: inherit; font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-optical-sizing: inherit; font-kerning: inherit; font-feature-settings: inherit; font-variation-settings: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;”>mĂşsica urbana<span style=”font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 24px;”>. But it’s striking to note that the </span><em style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; text-size-adjust: 100%; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-variant-east-asian: inherit; font-variant-alternates: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 24px; line-height: inherit; font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-optical-sizing: inherit; font-kerning: inherit; font-feature-settings: inherit; font-variation-settings: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;”>perreo combativo<span style=”font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 24px;”> — like the protests more generally — was driven largely by young women and queer people, that sometimes the </span><em style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; text-size-adjust: 100%; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-variant-east-asian: inherit; font-variant-alternates: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 24px; line-height: inherit; font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-optical-sizing: inherit; font-kerning: inherit; font-feature-settings: inherit; font-variation-settings: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;”>perreo<span style=”font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 24px;”> broke out in ecstatic bouts of vogueing in front of the governor’s mansion. It’s not a stretch to say that Bad Bunny has played some role — however minor — in supporting the genre’s much-needed progressive redirection. But he identifies the limits of his own role in </span>“Más de Una Cita,”<span style=”font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 24px;”> from his latest mixtape: </span><em style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; text-size-adjust: 100%; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-variant-east-asian: inherit; font-variant-alternates: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 24px; line-height: inherit; font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-optical-sizing: inherit; font-kerning: inherit; font-feature-settings: inherit; font-variation-settings: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;”>Es que los hombres ya no tienen credibilidad<span style=”font-family: nyt-mag-serif-text-light, georgia, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 24px;”> — it’s just that men these days have zero credibility.”</span>

Meweddah Alzandani
    Participant

Paragraph: “Bad Bunny has a preternatural feel for the needs of the moment, but his interventions very rarely come off as dutiful or didactic. He seems, instead, to be doing whatever he wants – at least, that’s the claim of his album’s title, ‘VHLOMDIG™: Yo hago lo que me da la gana. He performs the expressive freedom we wish we could, clearing the global stage not only for the charismatic spectacle of our joy but also for the impossible demands of our grief. He paints his nails purple. He talks about depression out loud, in public. He waves the Puerto Rican flag from the back of a flatbed truck in the middle of a massive street protest. He disappears for long stretches from social media – then emerges, looking sullen, to register to vote.”

Sentence: “Even my mother, who has zero tolerance for Bad Bunny’s explicit lyrics, admits there’s something special in his tone.”

I really like both this sentence and paragraph because it really make you understand Bad bunny more than just a artist

Tye
    Participant

Sentence:

“We knew it could get worse, but we didn’t dare imagine how much. Instead, we filled our cups with pineapple juice and rum.”

Paragraph:
    “There wasn’t anything remarkable about how Benito grew up: in a stable lower-middle-class family of observant Catholics, with two parents who worked “to maintain” and two younger brothers, Bernie and Bysael. His father drove trucks, and his mother taught English. At home, they talked about “the light bill, the viejaon the corner who died, cancer diagnoses”; they were “a normal family caught up in the quotidian.” A trip to San Juan was an event: “four, at most five times a year” they’d go to Plaza las AmĂ©ricas, the vast, lavish mall in the capital with a five-level parking garage. “You have to understand that I was just a country kid. I didn’t even know where I was. I was standing there trying to ask someone Where’s Walmart? Where’s GameStop? Whenever I went to Plaza, I went to those little kiosks that had all kinds of candies, with the little bags, and you’d fill them up and weigh them.” Benito and his friends couldn’t afford to buy anything in the big music emporiums – “they were more like museums,” Janthony said – but they always went in to look, and to dream, like, diablo, look, a whole rack of ‘Simpsons DVDs.” Instead, Benito was allowed to choose a few CDs from the catalogs his mother would order – Marc Anthony, maybe the new Vico C after he pledged his life to Jesus – but there wouldn’t be much mĂşsica urbana. “The new Daddy Yankee album wasn’t going to be there.””

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Tye.

Dacneisawesome
    Participant

Sentence: “Benito has become famous for his playful code-switching across islands and eras. But none of us, he reminded me, are born with it.”

Paragraph: “But mostly his unmistakable voice that keeps us company at close range. My mother, who has zero tolerance for Bad Bunny’s explicit lyrics, admits there’s something special in his tone. Cecilia Cassandra Peńa-Govea, who performs a range of Latin music as La Dońa, writes in Stereogum that it’s “like he’s singing underwater,” and for the Mexican magazine Terremoto, the poet-scholar Ren Ellis Neyra describes “sky-ripping, visceral gut-blow vocals that swarm a track.” On every song, he seems to hiccup between verses, as if gasping for air in the middle of a sobbing streak. “

Back during the pandemic, I would blast Bad Bunny’s music out loud since we were stuck in our beds. I would always put his music on with my big speaker and just sing with him, with all my family members at home. My mom always turned off my speaker asking me to shut it down because of the amount of explicit words he says. But my mom at one point got used to the endless jamming and would tell me how “different his music is from the rest of these Latin rappers.” You really can hear his voice without even hearing it, you hear it from his musical beats. Bad bunny is very well-known for his different genre of Latin music, that you can just know it’s his song from a mile away outside.

patience hagley
    Participant

Sentence: “It’s also true that many white artists in the Caribbean diaspora really did grow up collaborating closely with Black people, living, loving, and working in the same neighborhoods, in multiracial families, under intimately related forms of state violence, so that simple charges of appropriation sound off-key.

Paragraph: “Benito has just begun to think this through. He admitted that he didn’t know how to respond when, at the beginning of his career, journalists would ask him about Tego CalderĂłn, suggesting he might have enjoyed more success if he hadn’t been Black. “That question used to stun me. Like, what do you mean, more success? For me he’s huge, he’s the greatest — so I didn’t understand.” It’s only now, after a little more time in the industry, that he sees that he sees that these prejudicial dynamics “are real,” even as he still struggles to articulate them clearly. His rather belated statement in support of the recent Black Lives Matter uprisings did not address racism in the music industry. Instead, he urged his audience not to “wait for artists, or for fictitious heroes.” Fame has exaggerated the tension between Benito’s drive to understand the world and his more hermetic tendencies. He’d wanted to wait on the statement until he reckoned a little more with his own discomfort. He told me: “As a child, for better or worse, I always lived in my bubble. Now, I could say – and people do say – it’s a form of privilege. But it’s always been my way of being. Me, in my house and in my bubble, imagining a better, more magical world.”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.