ENG 1121 D440 Fall 2019

• Due 5PM on 11/12: Analyze art projects
  • #56281

Amber Slater

Hi all!

Please take a look at the “Stop Telling Women to Smile” and “Know Your Rights” art projects on the course calendar. Then answer the following questions:

1. To what extent do you think visual art has the power to create social change?
    2. Pick one image from the two art projects that you think is particularly interesting or effective. Describe the image and explain what makes that image interesting or effective to you.

#56378

Janice Chen

I think visual art can make an unlimited change to the world, especially when everyone has their point of view to art itself. I personally have very special point of view understanding of a song, art, and video. When I look at something, I might have a different level of understanding and make changes in my life. For example, the song that I mentioned at the beginning of the semester. I believe not everyone could have such deep feeling a song like me. However, I believe if people are willing to take time to try to understand the art, there will definitely be unlimited social changes.

2. Pick one image from the two art projects that you think is particularly interesting or effective.
    I find the art project “Paris, FR” from “don’t tell women to smile” caught my interest.

3. Describe the image and explain what makes that image interesting or effective to you.
    I really have to say that I am so impressed with the expression in their eyes! It makes me feel how strong women could be. Look carefully at those expressions in their eyes, I can see how confident and determined they are. It makes me feel that I could be like this too. Although the topic is don’t tell women to smile, I think this image is definitely presenting more than that.

#56430

Graan

1- to what extent do you think art has the power to create social change ?

I believe art has a massive amount of social change because of the fact that now people have the ability to express their ideas through all types of visual representations in art whether it’s through billboards posters train advertisements and etc. everyone nowadays is showing how they feel about social problems.

2- pick one image from the two art projects that you think is particularly interesting or effective

I think “Paris,FR” was pretty effective

3- describe the image and explain what makes that image interesting or effective.

I feel as tho they had a good sense of how to express emotion and someway make people feel pity and some sort of motivation because of how they seem to structure the photo message.

#56435

Pegdwende

Visual art has the power to create social change, it stands out so much, and visual art can help people understand better, why is it the purpose of it, seen things visually can help pivotal to create social change.

The image from Paris, Fr, it said in French “Avant d’ĂŞtre un femme, je suis un ĂŞtre humain” in English it said Before being a woman, i am a human. At first I tried to understand it, because the sentence it has a deeper meaning to it. The images also says a lot, because I believe what the artist what to show awareness and fight of street harassment. In a way this image connect to a French song I heard it was called Lionne by Dadju.

#56436

Jamir Campbell

1) I believe that art can change society. I don’t think it’s one artwork that does it, I think it’s the collective effort of artists that can make a difference.

2) I think “around the world” from stop telling women to smile was pretty effective .

3) I found it effective because it brought a lot of different people together to accomplish one thing.

#56437

In my opinion, visual art does have a way to build social change. Even if it’s in the smallest way, depending how relatable and emotionally impactful the artwork is it’ll definitely be drilled into your mind which can then lead to action like protesting and fighting for what you believe in.

The Harlem mural from the “Know Your Rights” Project caught my eye because it has simple instructions as to what to do when a police office tries to do anything. It shows a girl with hoop earrings speaking through a loud speaker with a news camera above her and little cops being controlled like a puppet. This mural has a ton of different colors as well as black and white for the characters.

#56438

I think that visual arts can send a huge impact and message to everyone because since its visually presented, then it would matter where you came from because you can see what they’re trying to shiw or convey.

The image i picked was the Harlem Art ” Know Your Rights” because especially in the areas of minirities police brutality became more common because of supremacy and also the history.

This image caught my attention because its very colorful and also because the image of the woman with a megaphone says it all that you should have a voice and shouldn’t be scared to fight for your rights.

#56447

Yan Tao

I think visual art has the power to create social change because it can easily catch other people’s eyes and present your idea to them. As more people saw the art and accept the idea, it can create a larger group trying to make a change based on that idea.

The image that I think it’s interesting to me is “International Wheat Pasting Night 2019” from “Stop Telling Women to Smile”. This image is interesting to me because I fell like it showed a message on how people can’t just judge others based on their looks. Even if they were women, they have the power to do things and to change things.

#56449

Iris Olmos

1. To what extent do you think visual art has the power to create social change? Visual art has the power to bring a lot of communities together and bring a social change because of what’s shown and explained.

2. Pick one image from the two art projects that you think is particularly interesting or effective. One image that is interesting to me is from “Stop telling women to to Smile” and the image that stood out to me was the Mexico City One because it said “I should deserve to be respected” this says a lot because everyone specifically women need to be respected and specially not be told when or when not to smile.

3. Describe the image and explain what makes that image interesting or effective to you. It makes it interesting because everyone needs to understand that women shouldn’t be told what they can do specially with their body.

#56459

Kevin Martinez

1. I think to a certain extent visual art has the power to create social change because even if it is a poster, art drawing or a mural all these forms has the ability to get it’s message across to the viewer and connect with the viewer as well as having him or her talking about the topic at hand.

2. One image I find very interesting and effective is the “Know Your Rights” mural that’s located on Harlem. I find this mural to be interesting and effective because of the color’s used and the messages written on the mural. It is a very effective mural because it is straight forward and it get’s it’s point across to the viewer in a way that it makes sense to anyone that will walk by past it or just go up to it from close up or further back and get the meaning behind this mural and the message it is trying to convey to the people.

#56461

Edmond

1. I think visual art has an enormous amount of power to create social change. In my opinion, art spread through social media and graffiti are the most effective forms of art.
    2. Personally, the piece “know your rights” is the most interesting and effective piece of art out of the choices. I thought this because the vibrant colors expressed a great amount of mood and showed hidden meanings of police brutality.

#56466

Elijaruhith

1.In my opinion, visual art can impact our society in many ways. It stands out to me also the visual learners they can get the message immediately.
    2. ”around the world” caught my attention. I find it interesting because women around the world united together, and taking a stand against street harassment.
    3. ”Women are not outside for your entertainment”. Yes, we are not outside for your entertainment we have our own things going on in our lives. We don’t need anyone’s validation we know we are worthy. Some of us are mothers, sisters, and daughters we deserved to be treated right.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Elijaruhith.
    #56468

Thalia L. Frontani

Visual art draws attention regardless if it’s nice or not, it will be noticed. It is the best way to deliver and remember a message.

2. Pick one image from the two art projects that you think are particularly interesting or effective.

“#‎SakiaGunn‬” really sticks to me because I had friends harassed, rejected, and abused in their homes for being lesbian. Some even harmed themselves thinking they were wrong for not liking men and not being a good daughter because of what the world depicts love and marriage should be. I just love that she stands for girls of color who are apart of the LGBTQ community. What was interesting and effective about this image was the repetitive image of her smiling face on the wall, so it can stick to you. You’re not going to see her face just once but 6 times. Bold colors in the back but black and white for her image, which shows a sadness because her smile was probably just as bright as the colors on the wall but now it won’t be seen since she was killed. Her name seems so little but it is much more than that, the placement of her name resonated with others and bought memories of those who knew her. This mural was the positive impact of the arts but a reminder and announcement to the world, of its cruel ways. I just really love this piece. I love her entire blog and support. Every picture and caption makes me extremely happy but sad because it shows and reminds the world how tough girls really have it.

I kinda answered this in my second answer.

#56470

Ariel Montesino

To what extent do you think visual art has the power to create social change?
    Visual art does have the power to create social change assuming it has a story behind it and the art itself is very appealing.

2.Pick one image from the two art projects that you think are particularly interesting or effective.
    I think the fordham , Bronx picture interesting.

3. Its really just a well drawn piece of art and it looks like typical day at the Bronx in New York which is why its interesting to me.

#56472

Samuel ugweje

Visual art can be a way of expressing different different views and perspectives of things, and can be used to create positive or negative change in society.
    The first picture in the “participate” category of the “stop telling women to smile art series” this picture is effective because it shows how regularly women feel unsafe in the environment. I also have a few female friends who have shared a few horrific encounters. Most have to go to extreme measures just to stay safe and comfortable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)