ENG 1121 D430, Spring 2020

• Lecture 7 HW Discussion - "Bedford Book of Genres" excerpt
  • #57762

Rebekah Coleman

HOMEWORK DUE THURSDAY 2/ 18/ 20

I could not insert the reading here. So I uploaded it to the section titled: “Assignments/ Readings.” I am also pasting the link here”
    https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/colemaneng1121d430spring2020/files/2020/02/Bedford-Book-copy.pdf

You can reply here or you can print out your responses.

Read the two sample articles. The first is by Nicholas Wade, ā€œFor Cats, a Big Gulp with a Touch of Tongueā€ (pages 220 to 222). Please then answer questions 1 through 5 on page 223. The second is by Grecia Sanchez, ā€œEs que acaso soy hispana? (pages 228 and 229). Please answer the questions 1 to 5 on page 230. You can answer on Open Lab or bring them in printed out to class.

#57786

Ray-Ana W.

1. The purpose explained by Wade is to find out and discover how cats drink water. One of his secondary purposes is finding out what speed they drink. Also what factors can affect how much they drink. Moreover, what would allow cats to drink the most amount of water.
    Evidence: From ā€œFor Cats, a Big Gulp With a Touch of the Tongueā€ By Nicholas Wade
    ā€œIt has taken four highly qualified engineers and a bunch of integral equations to figure it out, but we now know how cats drink.ā€ (Para1)
    ā€œThe cat laps four times a second too fast for the human eye to see anything but a blur and its tongue moves at a speed of one meter per second.ā€(Para 10)
    ā€œAfter calculating things like the Froude number and the aspect ratio, they were able to figure out how fast a cat should lap to get the greatest amount of water into its mouth. The cats, it turns out, were way ahead of them they lap at just that speed.ā€(Para11)

2. I believe the author uses this slightly humorous title to appeal to different audiences. Although he is doing a research paper he also wants to appeal to people who donā€™t necessarily find science interesting. On the other hand, they do fun things about cats to be very appealing. Most of all it gives you an idea of what the passages are going to be about.

3.The author appeals to other audiences that are not cat lovers by relating other details to cats. He often relates what he says back to the research and talks about the different scientists which could be appealing to Non-cat lovers.

4.This shows his credibility because not only is he providing us information but heā€™s providing us links with other Credible people. We can do our own research and find out for sure if everything he says is true. Having links it shows us his confidence in his research and works ethics.

5. Wade does not take this kind of approach because he wants the appeal not only to cat lovers but the people who do not necessarily like cats. The only moment where you could say he emphasized their cuteness was in the beginning when he talked about their elegant way of drinking water. Overall he got a good job, not including his opinion in the article.

1. Sanchez Does not completely convince me to individuals to make their own choices about racial and ethnic identity. We canā€™t really deny and change our race or ethnic identity just because of how you feel. I understand she doesnā€™t want to be labeled by the terms that were originally used for racial mockery. However at the end of the day itā€™s how you perceive the word. You could take back the word and change into a way that it identifies who you are. Like the Africans Americans did with the word Nigger that was used as a slur and they took it and used it as an identifying term in a way.

2. I think a Caucasian person whose family lives in the United States for many generations agrees with Sanchezā€˜s piece. From past experience a lot of modern day Caucasians are very open and agree with most things that has to do with freedom and identifying yourself.

3. I feel as though the Waze Sanchez references to the origins of the different terms kind of backfired for me. I feel as though she was literally defining it herself so I couldnā€™t really understand what the discomfort was for her and the terms. Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™m not in the kind of position sheā€™s in but I didnā€™t really make any sense to me.

4. Sanchez makes her Case my first acknowledging to us that she is Mexican. Then as she explained the historical background it kind of pistol ethos because during that time people of color were very cute. So it kind of backs up her claim of how these terms were originally derogatory towards people like her.

5. She doesnā€™t really come across as authoritative and she seems kind and knowledgeable. However she doesnā€™t give us any extended information other than a definition and her opinions. She is only slightly credible because she tells us she is Mexican.

By: Rayana W.

#57787

Daniel Espinoza

For Cats, a Big Gulp with a Touch of Tongue
    1. The main purpose for Wade to write the report is that he aims to explain recent findings about how cats drink. Some secondary purposes is to inform the world and persuade the reader to learn more about the topic.
    2. Wade created this humorous title because it will catch peoples’ eyes. People would want to know more about the reading.
    3. Wade uses a lead paragraph that will grab the average person’s attention.
    4.Wade includes information that are factual. He use names of professionals like Dr.Stocker and Pedro M. Reis and discusses their research on the science topic.
    5. Wade starts off with interesting features of a cat but not really about their cuteness. Wade could start off with talking about what most people know about cats like their 9 lives or their cuteness.

Es que acaso soy hispana?
    1. Sanchez does convince people to make their own choices because the pathos in the piece is really strong and will connect to the reader.
    2. I feel that every Caucasian person in the world will respect Sanchez’s piece. In present day, everyone is open about what their identity is so they will agree with Sanchez.
    3.Sanchez using those words was overwhelming for the reader, because she using those words based on her experience and maybe the way she is using them, the reader might not understand the word reference.
    4. She makes her case by using her real life experience on the topic with a touch of ethos.
    5. She is very knowledgeable because she is speaking based on her experiences and also because she is a mexican so she has knowledge on the topic being discussed.

#57799

Alexandros Veliz

Article 1:
    1. Wade’s main purpose in writing this article is to show how something as trivial as how a cat drinks water can actually hide very intricate properties when looked through a scientific or engineering perspective. This purpose is shown when Wade says ” Writing in the Thursday issue of Science, the four engineers report that the cat’s lapping method depends on it instinctive ability to calculate the point at which gravitational force would overcome inertia and cause the water to fall”. Some secondary purposes to this article is to simply show how cats can be cool and to tech cat lovers/owners something they never knew until reading this article.

2. I believe the reason why Wade made such a humorous title for his article was to make it more approachable to people who aren’t part of a scientific or engineering community and to spark interest of the article.

3. Wade appeals to people who aren’t cat lovers by describing the scientific and hydrodynamics principles playing when a cat dip it’s tongue to a body of water.

4. How Wade has implemented ethos into is article is referencing by Dr. Stocker who started the experiment and mentioning that he has a black cat named Cutta Cutta and that he works at M.I.T. A very prestigious institute for technology and all things scientific/engineering.

5. Wade approaches the subjects of cats by viewing cat in a scientific perspective. By implementing real time science and discussing the anatomy of a cats tongue; he changes the view on cant’s to not just being extremely cute creatures but a complex system of natural muscles that give off a superhuman presence when thinking about how fast a cat’s tongue has to be to pull off these almost mechanical feats. However, Wade still emphasizes their cuteness by describing what the name Dr. Stocker’s cat in Jawoyn.

Article 2:
    1. Sanchez has convinced me that individuals should be able to make their own choices about their racial ethnic identity because of how many identities are which relate to either a broad or specific moments in history. A person should be given the choice to research what their identity means in both a general description and what it means to themselves. A person cannot deny where they come from but they can deny which community they belong to and represent themselves in whatever way they want so long that the person is being truthful to where they belong.

2. How a Caucasian person might respond to Sanchez depends on how the person represent itself in the community. Your whole family can live in America for many generations but it all traces to an immigrant who came to this country and decision of whether or not you represent as a Caucasian depends entirety and you and your lifestyle.

3. I believe Sanchez’s use of terms like Hispanic, Latino, and Chicano really makes her effective when addressing the issue of which ethnic community would you identify yourself as. People have created so many labels that for some, it can be a bit overwhelming or confusing in where do you fit in wit these communities.

4. Sanchez makes her case by telling us how she’s just a simple Mexican girl who doesn’t feel like she identifies her self with these communities and just wants to be represented as a Mexican. She uses ethos by telling the audience that she is of Mexican descent, telling the audience that her first language is Spanish and has lived in Mexico, showing that she can be credible with the issues that many Mexicans face when representing themselves in a community.

5. I believe Sanchez is authoritative and knowledgeable as a member of a Hispanic like community but not so much of a community expert. She convinces me that she as authoritative and knowledgeable by talking about her experiences as a Mexican and that facts that she’s given me about the different types of communities that a Mexican can identify themselves with and what each community represents. She also tells us that she applied to The University of Texas at El Paso which shows she’s a scholar and is more credible to what she has to say.

#57802

Response to For Cats, A Big Gulp with a Touch of the Tongue
    1. Wade’s main purpose of writing this article is to inform readers how cats drink, according to the beginning of the article. The secondary purposes of the article are to discover their cat’s lapping method by using physics. According to Wade, he said, “The four engineers report that the cat’s lapping method depends on its instinctive ability to calculate the point at which gravitational force would overcome inertia and cause the water to fall.”. Knowing the cat’s lapping method requires some physics.
    2. He uses a slightly humorous title, because the authors intended the title to grab attention to other readers.
    3. Wade managed to appeal to people who are not cat lovers because he showed interesting physical features of cats such as the speed of cats lapping water. It also appeals to people who are science enthisaists, and those who read online.
    4. An another element that Wade convey a sense of ethos is that he uses bylines at the end of the article to enhance his ethos.
    5. Wade approaches the subject from a different angle by explaining the characteristics and features of cats (cat’s lapping method), but there is no emphasis anywhere in the article about cats’ cuteness.

Response to ĀæEs que acaso soy hispana?
    1. Sanchez convinces me that individuals should be able to make their own choices about their racial and ethnic identity, because over time, there are more racial identities as they are created by their own.
    2. After reading, a Caucasian person would understand why Sanchez actually has his own racial identity as a Hispanic/Latino.
    3. Sanchez’s references to the origins of terms are effective, because it gives readers meaning of each term and the relationship between these terms. Although the terms are related to the Hispanic culture, each one has a unique definition.
    4. Sanchez make her case by telling her story about having to deal with multiple identities (Hispanic/Latino, Latinx, Chicano), and having to choose her identity. Sanchez using ethos by citing an article from Huffington Post’s Latino Voices and author notes.
    5. By using sources in her article (Pais Latino Web site, Census Bureau, and Huffington Post) Sanchez comes across as authoritative and knowledgeable that implies that she has done her research and got information from verified sources. As far as I known, she doesn’t do anything that make me question her authority or knowledge.

#57803

ahago

Article 1
    1) Wayne’s main purpose for writing the article is to show how cats drink water which four engineers Figured out. ā€œThe catā€™s lapping method depends on its instinctive ability to calculate the point at which gravitational force would overcome inertia and cause the water to fall.ā€ The secondary purpose is to inform the readers That’s something we do so easily like drinking water is different from different species like a cat.
    2) Wade uses a slightly humorous title because it’s a science and research-based article. Most people who would read it are someone who’s doing research. He uses the title to catch a different audience’s attention.
    3) Wade appeals to people who are not cat lovers By the first sentence of the article ā€œit has taken four highly qualified engineers and a bunch of integral equations to figure it out, but we now know how cats drink.ā€This sounds interesting Even to non-cat lovers because something so simple that we do Like drink water took 4 highly qualified engineers and a bunch of equations to figure out how a cat drinks.
    4) Wade conveys a sense of ethos By using credible scientists like Dr. Stocker and Pedro M. Reis who both go to M.I.T.
    5) Wade approaches the subject from a different angle of a highly qualified engineer using a bunch of integral equations to figure it out using factual evidence. In the article, he talks about how the cat tongue works To pull the water. The engineers created an experiment to test the formula to see that bigger cats should lap at different speeds and it worked. Wade emphasizes the cat’s cuteness where Dr.Stocker talk about his cat ā€œCutta Cuttaā€

Article 2
    1) Sanchez doesnā€™t really convince me that individuals should be able to make their own choices about their racial and ethnic identity. She uses pathos but for her experience, it is for a form on a paper in a pharmacy I don’t think choosing what you identify is going to change anything. There’s still an other option so you can still write what a racial and ethnic you identify as.
    2) For a Caucasian person who lived in the United States for many generations, it just depends on the person and how they see themselves in the community.
    3) Sanchez references to the origin terms like Hispanic Latino and Chicano is quite effective because she makes it overwhelming and confusing on where you fit in.
    4) Sanchez makes her case by Showing her real-life experience in the pharmacy.
    She uses ethos by telling us she’s Mexican.
    5) What convinces me that Sanchez is Authoritative and knowledgeable is she is a member of a Hispanic community who talks about her real-life experiences as a Mexican.

#57808

Shannia Thomas

Article 1:
    1.Wade main purpose was to inform individuals how cats drinks. In his opening paragraph, he stated ā€œ.. now we know how cats drinks. He furthermore inform us on his research of the types of cat and their rate/ speed when drinking water.
    2. I think he uses a slightly humorous title to not only catch cat lovers or people who read this genre. I feel like his goal is to catch as many possible readers.
    3. He uses humor to appeal to people who are not just cat lover. He talks a little about cat types and compare them to dogs. He also include descriptive information to help people who donā€™t know much about cat understanding
    4. Providing people with all this information can help build his credibility as a author as well as his knowledge on cats is good.
    5. He does not really give us his opinion on how cute cats are. This is more of an informative article rather than opinion-based. But he briefly do states how elegant they look when they drink water.
    Article 2
    1. I agree with Sanchez and believe that people should be able to make their own choices about racial and ethnic identity, it can quite be confusing and contradicting. However it doesnā€™t really bother me because I simple identify myself as an African-American, but notice their other identities I can choose from.
    2. A Caucasian person living in United States for centuries might feel just as confused as she feels about her racial identity. I feel like they probably think itā€™s to broad.
    3. I think she was sorta effective but she got her point across. She gave definition on the terms but doesnā€™t explain. For instance, why is ā€œChicanoā€ so disrespectful for her. As someone from outside the Spanish community, itā€™s hard to know the differences between these terms.
    4. She presented a lot facts about her background/ language. I also found her using pathos when it comes to expressing her feelings in this problem.
    5. She seem knowledgeable and authoritative. Using ethos and logos prove that sheā€™s apart of the community.

#57809

Justin Guillen

Response to For Cats, A Big gulp with a touch of tongue
    1. Nicholas Wade’s purpose of writing this article is to study a cats drinking pattern. The second purpose of the article is to compare this drinking pattern to other species of cat and animals.
    2. The reason for Wades title of the article is to hook animal lovers attention to his article. A title like this is more distinct making it much more outcasting to the audience he is trying to reach. Also, it connects to his topic in a humorous manner.
    3. The article connects to non cat lovers due to the title and the science going into his findings. The general public nowadays are interested in articles like this where they experiment on entertaining topics.
    4. Another way Wade connects to ethos is by the byline of the article. Instead of the article being in the times by another person, Wade is credible for his article proving that he shows ethos.
    5. Wade goes off topic with technical terms for logos to connecting with the audience through pathos by introducing a cat called Cutta Cutta. In the article, Wade mentions Dr Stocker saying ” Three and a half years ago, i saw Cutta Cutta lapping over breakfast.” This quote provides imagery to his audience on how the cat looks eating breakfast.

Response to Es Que Asco soy hispana?
    1.Sanchez has an amazing point. I do believe people have choices on their identity since it is their identity. They should be allowed to identify by what they are most comfortable with. However, it has to relate with their identity. You can not just perceive yourself from what you truly are.
    2. Caucasian people should honestly have no issue with this piece since people also try to put labels on the Caucasian community. Everyone should be known for what identity they are instead of being perceived something they are not.
    3. Sanchez was very effective on the terms by connecting to the audience. People of Latin America connect to identity by constantly being called names which dont connect to them at all.
    4. Sanchez uses ethos at the beginning of the article by mentioning that they are from Cuidad Juarez,Mexico.
    5. Sanchez comes off as knowledgeable by constantly showing examples of situations where her identity is questioned. Also, the fact that she is mexican, lets her connect to the audience in a credible manner.

#57815

Maliha

1. The main purpose in writing this article is to explain how cats drink and the complexity of such a simple thing. The secondary purpose is to show how the way that cats drink are simple yet complex and different from humans. This purpose is shown when Wade says ā€ Writing in the Thursday issue of Science, the four engineers report that the catā€™s lapping method depends on it instinctive ability to calculate the point at which gravitational force would overcome inertia and cause the water to fallā€.
    2. He uses a slightly humorous title because he wants to be able to appeal to the audience members that don’t find science interesting and make it interesting.
    3.The author appeals to other audiences that are not cat lovers by relating other details to cats. He also mentions dog owners so that it isn’t showing bias in any way.
    4. Wade conveys a sense of ethos when referencing Dr.Stocker and Pedro Reis who goes to MIT which automatically makes it seem as though they are intellectually knowledgable about the science of these things.
    5. He describes the cat as drinking “very elegantly” but the way that he approaches the matter is factually and scientifically.
    pg 230 Q1-5
    1. Sanchez has convinced me that people should be able to make their own choices about racial and ethnic identity giving a sense of strong pathos however I feel as if there are many factors that should be considered like the complexity of identifying.
    2. It seems like it just depends on the person and how they see themselves in the first place.For example, if they are conservative, it’s likely that they would disagree with Sanchez.
    3. . I believe Sanchezā€™s use of terms like Hispanic, Latino, and Chicano makes her effective when addressing the issue of which ethnic community would you identify yourself as. However for me it was confusing since it pertained to only her experience so it was hard to understand.
    4. Sanchez uses a strong sense of pathos since she made the audience feel emotions for her struggle of identifying. She also uses ethos when she says that she is of Mexican descent.
    5. Sanchez comes off as knowledgeable and authoritative since she brings up pathos and ethos which makes her credible.

#57816

Maliha

2. He uses a slightly humorous title because he wants to be able to appeal to the audience members that don’t find science interesting.
    pg 230 Q1-5

#57822

Rebekah Coleman

Dear Class, I think you raised some very powerful points about these articles, especially the Sanchez article. I would like to discuss them more in class on Tuesday.

#57878

Arnelle Martinson

1) In the article for cats, ā€œA Big Gulp with a Touch of Tongueā€ main purpose is to find out about how cats are able to drink water. One of the secondary purposes is to find out how fast a cat can drink with its tongue to get enough water. For example in the text it states ā€œbeing engineers, the cat laughing team next tested its findings with a machine that mimics a cat’s tongueā€. This text shows that the engineer’s main purpose is to find out how a cat drinks fast by using a robot to compare it to.
    2)Wade uses the title for cats ā€œA Big Gulp with a Touch of Tongueā€ for his science article to grasp the reader’s attention. Also he uses this title to show the irony of a cat being able to drink bigger call and gulfs without using too much tongue.
    3) Wade appeals to people who are not caught Lovers by having supporters / fans and he also makes his research fun and interesting.
    4)Wade conveys a sense of ethos by having credibility. He is a well-known scientist and has a lot of background knowledge. He also has data about cats throughout his experiments. Lastly, he points out different references of four scientists.
    5)Wade approaches cats and kittens by not directly saying that they are cute but he approaches the subject about cats in a funny, humorous way. For example, it states ā€œbut we know how cats drink. The answer is very elegant and not all the way you might supposeā€. This text shows how Wade doesn’t say how cats are adorable and cute but he makes a joke about how cats drink so poised.

Article 2
    1)Yes, Sanchez does convince me that individuals should be able to make their own choices about their racial and ethnic identity. I agree with this because another government that does not know who I am as a person and where I come from should not have the right to dictate my ethnicity or race.
    2)I think a Caucasian person might find it hard to agree with Sanchez because they never had a hard time being racially discriminated against. Because by society standards, Caucasians are a highly exceptional race.
    3)I think Sanchez references are highly effective about the origins of terms like Hispanic Latino and Chicano because of her background knowledge and credible sources.
    4)Sanchez makes her case by taking the time to explain the different meanings of the three ethnicities that she can relate to, yet she gives us a reason as to why she does not identify with them. She appeals to her audience with the use of ethos, by telling us where she is from and that the language you speak to Spanish. This gives her credibility and a reason why we should agree with her.
    5) In the second to last paragraph of the article, Sanchez makes a clear point about how she’s Mexican and that she does not wish to identify herself as one word invented by a large group of disrespectful people. This statement clearly shows Sanchez taking a stand on what she feels is right and becoming authoritative.
    ARNELLE MARTINSON

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)