COMD1167 D154, Type and Media, Spring 2017

• Type Font is Baskerville
  • #41723

Dennis Betanco

Classification: determined by thickness of stroke/contrast, size of bracket, axis, and serif shape, where applicable
    History: who developed this font? When? Why?
    Usage: Is this best for display? billboards? books? or something else…

Using Identifont, Zourry and I were able to identify the font called Baskerville because of the time line chart. John Baskerville( classification) has a medium bold stroke with an old classical typeface, but also with high contrast Morden face’s categorizing him to be transitional. In 1750’s John Baskerville created the Baskerville font because his employer discovered his talent to write and sent him to writing school. As a servant in a clergyman’s house, his beginning’s helped revolutionized his future in becoming a brilliant print master and a founder of the Baskerville typeface. In 1763, John Baskerville printed the Folio Bible were is was panted in Cambridge University (books). With his sharp,crisp and elegant typeface he was considered extremely dignified to be a fine representation of any kind of advertising.

“Having been an early admirer of the beauty of letters, I became insensibly desirous of contributing to the perfection of them. I formed to myself ideas of greater accuracy than had yet appeared, and had endeavoured to produce a set of types according to what I conceived to be their true proportion.”

-John Baskerville

http://idsgn.org/images/know-your-type-baskerville/headstone.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)