Bio1101 General Biology I

active 5 years, 6 months ago
Bio1101 General Biology I
Biological Sciences
Bio1101
Spring 2012

Biology 1101 is an introductory Biology course. It focuses on the fundamental principles of biology, including taxonomy, structure, reproduction, heredity, development and evolution. Since Biology is governed by Chemistry, a large emphasis will be placed on basic Chemistry early in the course.

Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the course, students will become conversant on the following topics:
1. The Scientific Method and general scientific inquiry
2. General Inorganic and Organic Chemistry
3. Biochemical make-up of organisms (specifically Biological Macromolecules)
4. Organization of cells and classification of organisms based on cellular complexity and organization
5. Energy, energy production and utilization
6. Reproduction
7. Inheritance
8. Molecular Biology (DNA, gene function, gene regulation)
9. Biotechnology and Genomics

The Laboratory associated with this course is meant to reinforce the concepts learned in the lecture and to provide hands-on experience in scientific inquiry and exploration. From the laboratory component, we will better understand data acquisition and data analysis. Most importantly, communication of the findings in the lab will demonstrate the full understanding of learned concepts.

Acknowledgements

This course was created by: Prof. Seto

Joasil's A&P2 class

For Dr. Joasil's Anatomy and Physiology class. I substituted for the lectures on the endocrine […] See MoreJoasil's A&P2 class

Sugar Follow-up

Thanks to all who have taken part in Assignment 2. Last Sunday, 60 Minutes on CBS aired a new […] See MoreSugar Follow-up

Carbs are evil?

Dr. Robert Lustig of UCSF has been on a mission to advocate for the reduction of processed food […] See MoreCarbs are evil?

Comment on "Basics of Microscopy"

[...] course (even if you are not in my section), I have a review on some concepts of basic […] See MoreComment on "Basics of Microscopy"

Comment on "Assignment 4: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"

Claudia Franco Bio1101-7900 The voices from the podcast really moves me. It is incredible to […] See MoreComment on "Assignment 4: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"

Comment on "Assignment 2: Carbs and Obesity"

Claudia Franco Bio 1101-7900 I believe that what Dr.Robert Lustig talked about was very […] See MoreComment on "Assignment 2: Carbs and Obesity"

Sorry, there were no discussion topics found.