ARTH1100 History of Photography S2016

active 6 years, 7 months ago
ARTH1100 History of Photography S2016
Humanities
ARTH1100
Spring 2016

“The moment always dictates in my work. What I feel, I do. This is the most important thing for me. Everybody can look, but they don’t necessarily see.” — AndrĂ© KertĂ©sz

This course surveys the history of photography from its beginnings in the early nineteenth century to the present. We will examine the use of photography for aesthetic, documentary, and “scientific” purposes, stylistic shifts in photography related to aesthetic concerns, and varying interpretations of subject matter based on social and cultural concerns at specific moments in history. We will also consider the relationship between photography and the visual arts in general, which culminates with the primacy of photography as a medium by the late twentieth century.

Acknowledgements

This course was created by: Sandra Cheng

View the course(s) that this course is based on. This course has been cloned or re-cloned 6 times; view clone(s).

HW #3 Kevin Ruiz

Robert Capa was an astonishing photographer and he took a risk by going to the site of the war to […] See MoreHW #3 Kevin Ruiz

Homework #3: Robert Capa's War Photograph

I believe that his arguments were very convincing. The evidence he presented gave me an insight on […] See MoreHomework #3: Robert Capa's War Photograph

Homework#3 Robert Capa

After reading Robert Whelan analysis of Robert Capa's  photograph"Death of a Loyalist Soldier" I […] See MoreHomework#3 Robert Capa

Comment on "Homework #3: Robert Capa’s Death of a Loyalist Soldier"

I do not find his argument convincing. He is trying to hard to find a way to make it look like is […] See MoreComment on "Homework #3: Robert Capa’s Death of a Loyalist Soldier"

Comment on "Homework #2: Walker Evans’ Subway Portraits"

These photos are captivating because they are so real, this is reality shown through the subjects […] See MoreComment on "Homework #2: Walker Evans’ Subway Portraits"

The Photo by Robert Capa, "Death of a falling solider" Is controversial because its so perfect […] See MoreComment on "Homework #3: Robert Capa’s Death of a Loyalist Soldier"

HW#3 – Robert Capa’s Death of a Loyalist Soldier

I don't blame Richard Whelan for viewing Robert Capa's photograph of a Loyalist Soldier with a critical eye. In his analysis, he made very good points of the photograph and did question the authenticity of it. I do feel convinced that the photograph See MoreHW#3 – Robert Capa’s Death of a Loyalist Soldier

HW#2- Walker Evans

Walker Evans was an influential photographer in American history during the mid 20th century. His work expresses American culture in an explicit form. In 1927, Evans moved back to New York City in Greenwich village after completing his education See MoreHW#2- Walker Evans

H.W#1-Cell Phones & Photography

I believe cell phones are great to use to take pictures. Our society has smart phones that have great graphics, are accessible and convenient for photography purposes. This generation uses phone cameras to take "selfies", landscape and also portrait See MoreH.W#1-Cell Phones & Photography