American Government, Alexander Sections

• Misdeeds in One's Youth
  • #50412

I have no idea whether it’s true or false that Brett Kavanaugh, nominee for the Supreme Court, tried, with the help of a friend, when both guys were drunk, to force himself sexually on a girl while all were high school students, but here’s my question to you: If he did, does it matter now? When we’re in our 50s and far along in our careers as politicians, judges, or whatever, should we be accountable now for things we did when we were 16 or so? I’m interested in your opinions, and hoping to get strong views in both directions. (Reminder: Please keep disagreements with each other friendly.) And anything else you want to discuss, feel free to open a thread here.

#50458

Noah

In my opinion, I think it should not matter what you did at age 16 in high school if you’re now deep in your vocation. I think if it was really a Crime committed than it would have been covered. To wait until a person makes his or her peak of their vocation is simply unjust. Then again, if he did give this offense I don’t imagine anything would stay since the statue of limitation is 10 years, not 30 years. High School kids don’t see messing around with someone would affect them 25 years later in their lifetime.

#50473

If he did, does it matter now? When we’re in our 50s and far along in our careers as politicians, judges, or whatever, should we be accountable now for things we did when we were 16 or so? my opinion is that if he did committed this type of crime, its does matter because you are a supreme court nominate that may end up in the court and having that memory over your head. things from the past will come into light and get you in the back. you should be admit to your mistakes and learn from it. if you committed horrible crimes and other things, that person should be in jail and stay there for the rest of their life.

#50512

alexander313

In my opinion if in fact a crime was committed and there is sufficient evidence than yes i do think you should be accountable for your actions now for things that occurred in your teenage years . I believe if you can live with yourself with all the bad that you have done and not come forth and pay your time for the crime than your not fit to be a leader. If your a public figure and you need to represent honesty and respect towards people. We have to think about the younger generation how they can view people like this and what message it is sending.

#50526

Andreasha Jackson

Some people do things in the dark and enjoy that they never got caught , forgetting karma is forever and hits you right when you are at your high point . Though I am in between that if someone has gone through life and and became successful and have grown up they don’t deserve to have what they did in the past brought up . Then again when you are in the limelight you have to realize they dig deep things you forgot they remember

#50530

AGREE

#50562

Hysalene Dixon

At the age of 16, although still being very immature, and not truly understanding life, we definitely know right from wrong, and/or what a crime is and what it isn’t. I do absolutely believe in second chances, however that does not mean that we should not be accountable for our actions. Some things can be chalked up to immaturity, and youthful foolishness, but then there are THOSE THINGS that are intentional and damaging to others, that we do have to own up to, and sometimes be punished for. Even if the punishment is, that you don’t get the job you want. Think of all the men and women in prison, or who were in prison whether innocent or quilty, who are STILL being held accountable, and may never realize the opportunities they so desperately desire. So yes, I do believe in forgiveness, rehabilitation, and second chances, but I also strongly believe in accountability. I wonder if the allegations were murder if we would even be having this discussion, or is it because this is an alledged crime against a young girl that is making his accountability questionable.

#50618

Chris

I believe that if you did something wrong, no matter when or how long it was its still wrong. My issue is that these women decided to come forward now. Like he wasn’t seen in the public eye until now. But now that he is looking to become nominee for the Supreme Court they come out. Its been said that she was going to a shrink for what she went through, which means it was taking a toll on her life. If what she said is true, then I believe that she should of come forward a long time ago. Why now?

#50619

Hysalene Dixon

It’s easy to say what someone should or shouldn’t have done, or when they should or shouldn’t have done it, when you are not in their shoes. These are the types of comments that causes victims to keep silent. Based on the system, there is never a good time to come forward.

#50650

PORTIA D HIPPOLYTE

In my opinion, I think we all should be held accountable to some standard as to what we have done in the past. If not, then everyone will live a carefree life and do what they want. If these allegations are true, I don’t think that Brett Kavanaugh should serve on the country’s highest court.

#50702

Vanessa Shorter

In my opinion, everyone should have to face their wrongs at some time in life, meaning for example if someone has committed a crime when they were a teen, that person deserves to face what they have done even if it has been years later. From birth, we are taught the difference between right and wrong, and at 16 years old we should definitely know that it is not okay to be an alcoholic or sexual predator.

#50703

Sexual predator, okay, but I think it needs to be noted that alcoholism is more of an affliction than a choice to be bad.

#50746

Jonita C. Adams

I think he should at least aknowledge what he did wrong and definitely make a public apology. Although he was 16 yrs old, “16” is too old to not know right from wrong. Not to menion, the way they’re trying to make it seem like that kind of behavior at 16 is commonplace, is just rediculous. Although he is along in his career, the fact that he is a nominee for Supreme Court, he should definitely want to take the high road on this one.

#51985

I.AL

I think we shouldn’t be held accountable for crimes committed so long ago as long as- very important- the statute of limitations has passed. I believe this is a very important instrument that comes to say – hey too much time has passed, it’s unjust at this point to hold this person accountable for something of this sort. Simply because people do make mistakes all the time but then they learn from them and become better. So unless you’re already biased you should be able to look at this person with clear mind.
    I’d like to tie in here another aspect of this issue. What if a person was caught and was sentenced to jail as punishment. After the price for crime ( as determined by court of justice) is paid, can this person walk free of guilt? Is it fair to hold his crime against him in any manner after that?
    In my opinion the answer is no and even the justice system should be changed, so as to erase past records of convicts and instead of labeling someone as criminal for the rest of their life to actually give them hope for complete re-integration in the society.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)