American Government, Alexander Sections

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Biden's running mate is Kamala Harris. Good choice or bad choice?

The funny thing is, Biden-Harris is precisely the combination I was imagining when the lineup of contenders in the primary was first taking shape. Since then, Harris has turned out to be controversial over some of her actions as a prosecutor in California. But is that relevant now? Will she attract or repel voters in the general election? Please feel free to share your thoughts. (And please keep all disagreements with fellow posters friendly, as I’m grateful you’ve always done before.)

Aaron Arroyo
    Participant

In a previous discussion about this, I mentioned Alex Jones peddling a conspiracy theory about the Vice President pick, I will not say the entire theory again but if you remember, you remember. Anyways, it seems Alex Jones’ theory is now coming to life.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/politics/joe-biden-kamala-harris-vp/index.html

Specifically, in this article:

“What Biden did is make the pick that maximized his chances of continuing to make the race a straight referendum on Trump while also selecting someone, in Harris, whose resume suggests will be ready to step in if and when Biden decides to step aside. .

Now, bear in mind I do not believe this conspiracy theory. I only watch Alex Jones for entertainment purposes. That being said, this can backfire for the Democrats in a way none of them expected.

Let’s face the facts: Alex Jones is the world’s most powerful conspiracy pusher, with a radio show that attracts millions of listeners daily . Now that this event has happened, Alex Jones now has more ammunition to push his theories and rally the hard/radical right. Essentially, this VP pick galvanized many of Jones listeners to support Trump even harder – lest they face Biden being 25th’d out of office so the evil Kamala Harris can construct her demonic New World Order, muahaha.

Well, to begin with, it takes a pretty wild imagination to think Kamala Harris represents any world government conspiracy, but then again, wild imagination is exactly what characterizes the Alex Jones crowd–and also the Q=Anon crowd, which seems to have Trump’s glowing endorsement judging from his praise of the Q-Anon disciple who just won a Republican congressional primary in Georgia.

Be that as it may, I just have to observe that any presidential candidate who is close to 80 years old will surely see the necessity of picking a running mate who is younger and able to take over if needed. (Biden isn’t going to “decide to step aside,” but he could certainly die in office.) And as for the election being a referendum on Trump, I think Trump himself has made that inevitable with his own actions, though of course the ideal is for it also to be about the challenger’s positive vision for the country.

I think, though, that the people who listen to Alex Jones have their minds made up to vote for Trump no matter what Biden does or, for that matter, no matter what Trump does.

But, thank you for your thoughts, which I’m always glad to get.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.