American Government, Alexander Sections

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Al Franken, John Conyers, and the Democrats

This past week, the Democratic leadership in Congress pressured Representative John Conyers and Senator Al Franken, both Democrats who up until now had been extremely popular and well respected in their party, into resigning. Since then, passions have been running high among Democrats out in the general population (as represented in my Facebook network, and probably in yours too). Even if we just talk about the opinions of Democratic women, there seem to be many who feel betrayed by Conyers and Franken and others who blame the Democratic leadership for rushing to judgment and not even waiting for the House and Senate Ethics Committees to hold hearings and make determinations. On the one side, we hear the argument that there must be zero tolerance for sexual misconduct and that the Democrats must take the moral high ground even when the Republicans don’t (obviously our president is no role model on the subject), and on the other side, we hear the terms “witch hunt” and “unilateral disarmament” and “eating their own,” to refer to what Pelosi and Schumer are doing.

What do you think? Anybody feel like sharing? Again, as you’ve always done before, please keep all disagreements on this board friendly. Please also remember that if you still have access to this site, no matter how long ago you took my American Government course, you’re still part of this cyber community and we’d love to hear from you.

Kim Woseley
    Participant

I think that the resignation of the both democratic Representative John Conyers and Senator Al Franken are good signs that the Democratic party are holding its members accountable for their actions. I also feel that it is a very strategic move on the Democratic party’s part, as they can call call for the resignation of President Trump in light of similar a aligatation against him. This could all be part of the big plan to begin the process of empeachmen
    t.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.