American Government, Alexander Sections

active 1 day, 1 hour ago
American Government, Alexander Sections
Social Science
GOV 1101
Spring 2022

This is the introductory course in American Government, with the main focus on the national level but some attention to state and local levels as well. This OpenLab site contains course materials as well as links to news sites and a discussion board to exchange ideas. Please keep disagreements friendly, and please keep in mind that our main purpose is more to analyze than to react and fume.

When the course is over, as long as you still have an OpenLab account at City Tech, you are invited to continue posting on this discussion board.

To access course materials, click “Visit Course Site” at the right of this page.

Acknowledgements

This course was created by: Benjamin F. Alexander

Congress: Another Opening, Another Show...

And now, the 118th Congress convenes.  What can we expect to see? Starting with the Senate:  A […] See MoreCongress: Another Opening, Another Show...

Coming Soon to the Supreme Court: The 'Independent Legislature' Doctrine

Note to current Am Gov't class:  I'll be talking about this case in our next class meeting Friday […] See MoreComing Soon to the Supreme Court: The 'Independent Legislature' Doctrine

The Outlook for Congress

Elections are on Tuesday, November 8.  As things stand now, the Democrats are slightly favored to […] See MoreThe Outlook for Congress

Comment on "Congress: Another Opening, Another Show…"

I think that the decisions Biden is making is leaning towards the minority simply because of […] See MoreComment on "Congress: Another Opening, Another Show…"

Biden’s State-of-the-Union Address, 2023

I know I said I was going to listen to Sarah Huckabee Sanders' response, but I can't. I just can't. They could have put up a Republican who would critique Biden's economic ideology and advocate a more free-market approach, but no, they […] See MoreBiden’s State-of-the-Union Address, 2023

Biden’s September 1 speech

Here are some highlights from President Biden's speech on Thursday night, September 1, at Philadelphia, an undisguised appeal for Democratic victories in the midterm congressional elections. Was it a good idea or a bad idea for Biden to […] See MoreBiden’s September 1 speech

Should she be prosecuted for what she did 67 years ago?

ARE WE THERE YET? I will simplify this... The real question is... is there an expiration date or statue of limitations on a warrant, wait not any warrant but a warrant issued in the state of Mississippi in […] See MoreShould she be prosecuted for what she did 67 years ago?