American Government, Alexander Sections

active 1 week ago
American Government, Alexander Sections
Social Science
GOV 1101
Summer 2021

This is the introductory course in American Government, with the main focus on the national level but some attention to state and local levels as well. This OpenLab site contains course materials as well as links to news sites and a discussion board to exchange ideas. Please keep disagreements friendly, and please keep in mind that our main purpose is more to analyze than to react and fume.

When the course is over, as long as you still have an OpenLab account at City Tech, you are invited to continue posting on this discussion board.

To access course materials, click “Visit Course Site” at the right of this page.

House Investigation of January 6 Riot Begins

I want to start by saying a few words about the difference between political opinion and truth.  […] See MoreHouse Investigation of January 6 Riot Begins

Another Conservative Voting Rights Decision by the Supreme Court

It should be remembered that back in 2013, the Supreme Court ruled in Shelby County, Alabama, v. […] See MoreAnother Conservative Voting Rights Decision by the Supreme Court

Advice to Mr. Biden, from Me

UPDATE:  Biden got the message and walked it back (see below). While I never wish I were a […] See MoreAdvice to Mr. Biden, from Me

It's been a while since I saw one of these, so I shall weigh in. Normally I would post a remark […] See More

I am so glad that Donald Trump lost. our country was headed in the wrong directions. We need help […] See More

Yes, Mr. Arroyo, I remember your opinion that Biden has dementia. I can only say that it's not an […] See More

Biden’s address to Congress

Any thoughts on what Biden had to say? Any thoughts on the Republican response from Senator Tim Scott? Biden's speech (video): […] See MoreBiden’s address to Congress

Unofficial Election 2020 Discussion Board

Well, the easy part is that the Democrats look securely positioned to keep the majority in the House, though the House is also going to be blessed with the presence of a QAnon disciple from Georgia next term. The Senate, at this point […] See MoreUnofficial Election 2020 Discussion Board

Final Presidential Debate

The second (though it was originally supposed to be the third) and final debate between President Donald Trump and Democratic challenger Joe Biden is about to begin. The microphones will be muted so that only the one whose turn it is to […] See MoreFinal Presidential Debate