Advanced Technical Writing ENG 3773

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Assessment

Aneudy Abreu
    Participant

I learnt how to write more professionally and to be more mindful about my content and they way I present it(format)

GwennethW
    Participant

What have you learned in this class so far that you think you could use in the future?

I have learned to be more concise with my word choice and content. I am now able to keep the audience that I am trying to reach in mind while I write so that I can get my point across more successfully. I realize that putting aside my work for a while and then coming back to it with fresh eyes will also play a large part in producing a good work product. I am even more aware that revisions and proofreading are not the same but are essential in showing professionalism in your work.

MENSAH EKUE
    Participant

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by MENSAH EKUE.

MENSAH EKUE
    Participant

Taking this class help me learn a lot about how to format and fix the right contents for your resumes. One important factor in writing resumes is knowing how to match your skills and experiences with the job requirements using keys words. i also learned that most hiring resources used computer to screen resumes before reading it, that it why it important to write your resume with keys words. Another factor that i became more aware of is that most readers do not like to read, so writing less but saying a lot is very important.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by MENSAH EKUE.

Jibriel
    Participant

I have learned how to improve my writing by have the audience in mind as I’m writing and to be more concise in my text by going straight to the point. Further, to reassess and revision my writing knowing that people don’t like to read and writing is hard. Before this class I use to write and expand on everything I wrote, however after taking this class I’ve learned that less is actually more and learned to get my point across with shorter words.

This_is_me
    Participant

I think I learned in this class so far that I would use in the future is firstly writing your cover letter and resume as if it is personally written for the job you’re applying for. For example, riding the company’s name instead of saying organization. Secondly, being able to summarize an article, this shows you understand what you have read. If someone wants us to explain something to them, you are able to summarize it in a few sentences or so. Thirdly, knowing what terms to use in order for others to understand when explaining something to someone, this means knowing your audience. In addition, when writing always have a format, and content. Lastly learning how to work with others and have a plan B just in case someone does not fulfill their responsibilities.

Volodymyr
    Participant

What have you learned in this class so far that you think you could use in the future?

During this semester and thanks to prof. Bane, I have learnt many things such as how to write technical documentations, rules for professional writing, format for professional technical writing, and many other important rules that will be very useful in the future. Also, I understood that people “don’t like to read” and for this reason, all technical documents should be as shorter as possible. In my future, I am planning to apply my knowledge and I hope that they help me to be more professional.

Peter
    Participant

During this semester, I learn how to transform extremely challenging material into easily understood language. I also learn several technical writing convention techniques, interviewing skills, desktop publishing and formatting methods, key tips for developing graphics and templates, documentation management, and how to publish documents both on paper and electronically. In addition, I also recognized how important it is to tailor my document based of my audience. These skills are crucial for my future because they will enable me to craft high-quality documentation with less work when I am in a work environment.

SSSimmons88
    Participant

Taking this English class has taught me so much one thing is audience is very important. Keeping who you are writing to in mind really helps smooth out the structure of the content. Before I did not worry myself about getting to the point, it was more about reaching the word count. As we know “people don’t like to read” and in this class I learned that less can actually mean more. Now I take my time to evaluate and revision my writing for wordiness. In this short time I have learned so much in this English class compared to my others and I believe my writing skills have improved.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.