2014 spring – MAT 2680 Differential Equations – Reitz

active 2 years, 11 months ago
2014 spring - MAT 2680 Differential Equations - Reitz
Mathematics
MAT 2680
Spring 2014

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to one or more of its derivatives.

– The above rather boring description does little to convey just how fundamental, widespread, and amazingly effective differential equations are in describing the world around us.

– Examples: Anything in motion. Also, many things that are not in motion. Also, many additional things to which the word “motion” does not really apply.

– Further examples: spaceships in orbit, populations growing and shrinking, a cup of coffee slowly cooling, springs bouncing, financial markets rising and falling, electrical current flowing through a circuit, ocean waves, sound waves, light waves, vibrations in musical instruments and airplane wings and suspension bridges,

– More examples: Pretty much everything.

Topics include methods of solving ordinary differential equations and applications to various problems.

Course Avatar and Site Header from a photo by Flickr user Timitrius: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nox_noctis_silentium/3929249893

Final Grades are submitted

Hi everyone, I've submitted grades through CUNYFirst, and posted a detailed breakdown on the […] See MoreFinal Grades are submitted

Exam #3 Grades are posted

You can find them on the "Grades" page (if you forgot the password, email me). Best of luck […] See MoreExam #3 Grades are posted

OpenLab #4: Advice for the future

(Due Thursday, 5/22/14, at the start of class).  Imagine that you are invited to speak on the […] See MoreOpenLab #4: Advice for the future

Hi John, Thanks for the comment – but it looks like you left it in my previous class’ OpenLab sit […] See More

Based on reading these comments from people that took the course i picked up a few things. One […] See More

I agree 100%. the first few days of class i was completely lost because i had forgotten most of my […] See More

Sorry, there were no discussion topics found.