La Cantina Wine & Liquor

I visited La Cantina Wine & Liquor Located at 2355 Arthur Ave, Bronx, NY 10458. La Cantina sits at the Heart Of Little Italy. Little Italy is my backyard I’ve grown up there and it has changed a lot as I’ve grown up but the heart and soul of it has not changed. Which comes from its Italians who still live and run businesses in the area. Especially La Cantina which opened up about 15 years ago around the time I moved around the area. 

La Cantina

La Cantina

As I entered La Cantina I am greeted by staff but I also noticed that the store was narrow and had wooden columns and sections that contained wines from France, Italy, Spain, Chile, New York, and California. Anthony is the gentleman who helped me by answering the questions I had to ask for the assignment.

What’s a Shelf Talker?

A Shelf Talker is a wine that may have a description note that will indicate where it is from, grape variety, etc and what it could be paired with. Its usually used to engage potential buyers.

Anthony told me that his store did not carry any shelf talkers because to him they are useless and doesn’t fit within the ideal of the store. Being in the heart of little Italy La Cantina specializes in Italian wine and Liquor. They have Italian wines and liquors that could be hard to find in New York or anywhere else. Like Sambuca, Grappa, Amaro, and Limoncello.

I asked Anthony what he thinks La Cantinas advantages/disadvantages were, he told me the advantages of La Cantina are that they carry quality Items and Price. Which ranges from six dollar bottles to a thousand dollar bottles. Another advantage is specializing on Italian wine. La Cantina’s Disadvantage is not having warehouse pricing which has to do with the stores concept of choosing quality over quantity.

I looked around the shelves and saw the Italian wines which occupy the majority of the shelves in La Cantina. I was able to see some DOCG (Denominazione di Origine controllata e Garantita) wines from Italy.

Italy

DOCG Wines
on the left, Borgoni Borromeo Chianti Classico Riserva 2012. Grape Variety: Sangiovese
Region:
Chianti Classico
On the right, Vecchia Cantina Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Poggio Stella 2012
Grapes
Sangiovese
Region
Vino Nobile di Montepulciano

French Wine

Cave des Vins de Sancerre Les Champs Clos Sancerre Blanc 2012
Grape Variety:
Sauvignon Blanc
Region:
Sancerre

DOC Spain Wine

DOC (Denominazione di Origine Contollata)
Blancos de Castilla Herederos del Marques de Riscal Rueda 2012
Winery:
Blancos de Castilla
Region:
Rueda

Spain

Winery:
Blancos de Castilla
Region:
Rueda

French Wine

Veuve du Vernay Ice Rosé
Winery
Veuve du Vernay
Region
Vin de France

I asked Anthony about Sparkling wines and their intended use. He told me that Sparkling wines are usually used in Celebrations anywhere from Weddings, Quiceneras, Graduation Parties, Toasts, etc. He also tole me he enjoys the Veuve du Vernay Ice Rosé 2012 chilled on a hot summers day. I appreciated his input because he was knowledgeable on all of his inventory. 

To be honest i did not expect the staff at La Cantina to have such knowledge. But my expectations changed once I received all of this information from them. And it made me feel good that there are knowledge people who share a passion for wine right in my backyard. I learn a lot from hands on activities and such. I asked Anthony if they had any internships sadly they didn’t but he said we could work something out. I am hoping to create one so that any of my other peers could benefit from.

Overall I enjoyed my visit To La Cantina and I learned so much. The staff is very knowledgeable of their inventory and will give you the best price possible for great quality wine whether your looking for a cheap or expensive bottle. Quality is Guaranteed at La Cantina.

4 thoughts on “La Cantina Wine & Liquor

1. The fact that they have this business for 15 years already says a lot about the store. Also, I agree with you that we don’t realize the extensive knowledge people have in these kind of stores until you start talking to them more in deep about wines. Great job!

2. It’s amazing how many wine and other alcoholic options there are from just one country. I liked that you include that this wine shop chooses quality over quantity. Anthony has a vast amount of knowledge of his stores product. Very impressive.

3. l love how this wine store have so many years of history, there are not much anymore. i also like how this wine retail have it’s own concept and structure of not having top shelf bottles, most wine retails follow the same structure maybe to make it easier for customers.