Ethical Journal 1

As graphic designers, we are taught that before designing something, especially a logo it is important to do some research. It is useful to know more about the brand, the company, the competition, what are the trends, not only to create something creative that could help the company to stand out but also to avoid designing something already done. It is a crucial step to finding inspiration. I usually spend about the same time between researching and designing and it occurred to me that after seeing something I really liked, I would replicate it (not on purpose). Sometimes I absorb so much of the style and the idea from what I see that becomes mines and after designing it I am not sure if it is original. Probably the best way would be to first design and then do research, and then go back to designing. This way your creativity gets improved with your ability to express a concept or idea. We have also been taught that you can take a small element, a small idea from someone else, and create something completely new.  

When I find myself in front of Andy Warhol’s tomato soup can painting or the Obama poster by Fairey, I do not see much of a difference. They were both strongly inspired by a previous artist. I see an independent piece of art in Fairey’s poster compared to the original photograph. As Andy Warhol decontextualized an item, the same did Fairey. The photograph or what it rest of it has acquired so much meaning and power that I don’t think the original photograph would have ever been able to convey. The only embarrassing part of the entire legal case was the various tries to cover his own mistake, the wrong attribution of the pictures. That’s the only mistake I think Fairey made. It is always important to cite the main inspiration of a design, especially when it is quite visible. I mean 80% of the success of that artwork is the perspective Obama has been portrayed (the position of his body and the point of view of the camera). 

Hope poster by S. Fairey
One of the 32 tomato soup cans painted by A. Wahrol

I also believe that what leads designers or design students to copy so easily from someone else, most of the time is because of lack of time. Designers are constantly under pressure, especially if it is a school assignment or a last-minute project. I am a strong supporter of that part of the process when the designer takes the time to incubate the task (after research and the interview with the client). It allows the designer to elaborate his own interpretation of the task, which combines what the client wants with what the target audience might react to or expect. Even if the designer starts copying or retracing someone else works, after working and working on it, the final project will have a totally different look and style.