Blog post 3

As I reflect on the reading I find a section that we did not touch upon in class to be very interesting. On page 22 Mary speaks of a mulatto woman who is free. She describes her as a woman who likes to get her in trouble  ” the mulatto woman was rejoiced to have power to keep me down she was constantly making mischief there was no living for the slaves no peace after she came in” (Prince, page 22)  I find it interesting that a woman who could be in Mary’s shoes could be so cruel and sustain enjoyment at the idea of treating a person of similar background as a slave. It truly gives example that racism cant be physical but really mental. As long as someone is seen as different people give this cause to act cruelly and that there is a sense of denial that comes with these acts. A denial that this is how things should be done, a false testament that slaves need to be controlled and structured by the white man’s hands.

I think about Mary’s last quote on page 33, “I am often much vexed and I feel great sorrow when I hear some people in this country say the slaves do not need better usage and do not want to be free, they believe the foreign people who deceive them and say slaves are happy I say not so.”