Page 20-40

As I continued reading the narrative I noticed that even though Mary was going through a tough time, what kept her positive was her faith in God. During that time with Mrs. Wood the great wash came around she had to lift many heavy things and she told Mrs. Wood that she was very very ill the slave master showed no remorse or sympathy towards her. Mary was threatened that if she did not complete the chores she would be out of the job and personally kicked out by Mr. Wood. In page 22 she talks about when she went into the service of Mr and Mrs Pringle and how Mary is comfortable their even though she is separated from her husband. Mary also mentions that the mistress teaches the word of god and how it helps her through out the day, taking away from the pain she once went through. In this time period faith in god was pretty had to find because the slaves had no access to any holy places and they sort of lose hope and faith in god. So for Mary to still have faith in god shows that even though going through all the ill treatment she still didn’t give up and thinking that something better was coming her way. Also I liked that the mistress was the one that was reading chapters to her about god because in that time that wasn’t aloud. It made me believe that there are still good people during that time of sorrow and sadness.

One thought on “Page 20-40

1. I also felt a bit of relief for Mary whenever she was shown even a drop of kindness throughout the book, and agree that her faith in god helped her out a great deal with how she coped with everything she had to got through.