Journal 2: My role at Alexapath

My role in Alexapath as a graphic designer involves a bunch of tasks. At first it was taking over a previous intern’s work handling print materials such as their brochure and packaging. The company also asked me to take a look at their web app and come up with a better solution for UX/UI for the app. After fixing the printing issues of their brochure and trying to tackle the next things they wanted me to do I realized they didnt have a solid style guide and a consistent folder of all their graphic assets. Their current style guide was missing many key points of a style guide. Since Alexapath is a small startup with laid back CEO’s I proposed to instead of working on what they set out for me to work on I wanted to layout the foundation for their design so that any designer can come in and know where to pull information from all in one guide. So I started a new  style guide which not only included their logo and colors but included the icons for the various products they offer, the colors for all their assets, typeography, and about section for the company and their products.

There are two people who I see when I’m in the office:

Photo of Dhaval Palsana CTO/Co-Founder, India Photo of Louis Auguste CEO/Co-Founder

I directly answer to Louis as my supervisor.

I didnt have an internship when the class started. I landed an internship in week 5 through a recommendation from a friend, Mijori. I was able to get an interview for an internship with Alexapath. I got the position after the end of the interview. Louis and I clicked during the interview, we have similar backgrounds of family being from Haiti, our views on humanitarianism, and the passion of digital arts such as filmmaking. He also liked my online portfolio as well. During the interview he described the company and what they need as in regards to graphic design. The questions he had were if I would be able to handle any of the before mentioned tasks and if I had any experience with similar tasks. Thankfully I have experience matching the tasks because of classes, previous internships, my position at the school paper,  NTT.