Unit 1 Working Draft Literacy

Clifford Strunkey
Student
English D1211
February 7th, 2019

Defining Literacy as you understand it, and connecting it to experiences in your life as a Student or outside of school.

I woke up one morning in and ask myself what I am doing with my life. So on July 27, 1987 I decided to join the U.S Military, to be specific the Army. Three months later I was sent to Ft. Leonard wood Missouri for basic training. I and fourteen others left New York on a Friday afternoon, and arrived in Missouri that night. All of us were from different parts of the city. We were meet at the airport by three Sergeants, who were called drill Sergeants. They greeted us politely and loaded us on a bus. Three hours later we arrived on the base where we got a rude awakening. They started shouting and yelling, which caught us by surprise, and was the beginning of two Months of hell.
Wake up was five every morning by noise of trash cans banging in our rooms, doors slamming, and yelling and screaming, wake up you aren’t in your mothers bed. Once we were up, we quickly formed up outside in a formation of platoons, to began our daily training. The first thing we would do is stretch, then warm-up, which was jogging in place. After completing those tasks, we would go on a three to four mile run, which usually ends in half hour of push-up, sit-up and jumping jacks. We would quickly head to our rooms to shower, shave and get dress in our military uniform, so we can go eat breakfast. Everything was done as company, which consists of four to five platoons. After breakfast we would head to our basic training site, an open area in the woods, about a mile away from our living quarters. Usually about one hundred to a hundred and twenty five soldiers are in a company. This was our first time together; we had learning how to march in step with each other. It was very complicated at first, but by the time we would graduate you best believe we would have it down pack.