This ENG1101 course introduces concepts of critical writing and thinking along with skills integral to constructing and documenting a college-level essay. As a First Year Learning Community, we will pair with Psychology 1101 to explore the emotional impact of the first year college transition and consider ways to identify and deal with new stressors.

Academic Writing

An aspect of academic writing that I believe that I’m improving on is going in depth when writing my analysis. When I wrote my first essay, I just wrote what I understood from the text and never built on it, leaving it to be somewhat vague. I took the constructive criticism and applied it to my essay, which I got a higher grade and less comments on. However, I do find my grammar to be the only aspect of academic writing that I still struggle on. I usually write how I speak, and I don’t proofread as much as I should. I should work on that with the research essay before it affects my grade significantly. Despite this, I do enjoy writing thesis sentences and integrating quotes into my essays. These two can be challenging, which is what makes it enjoyable. Once you find the perfect quote for each body paragraph and write a clear, concise thesis, the essay becomes so much stronger. It makes writing it a bit more easier and the topic that you are presenting clearer to the audience.

1. Jennifer Sears

Hi Katie,
    This is a thoughtful reflection. Finding quotes that support and deepen what you believe can be a very rewarding task and is one that requires a lot of creative thinking. I’m glad you’ve experience this so early on in the process!