Distraction is the new Black: By Jolleli S. Garcia

Gaming systems date back to the early 1970s. Gaming systems have brought many burdens on American citizens, especially among mothers. Gaming systems have become a world wide distraction. Video gaming is evolutionizing our attention by the way it serves as a significant distraction. Many video games are fast paced and they display lots of information in a rapid speed. With all the information coming at the player, the player’s attention span can be desperately shortened. The time video gamers invest playing is distracting the players from achieving other things. In this essay, I will discuss the following topics: The evolution of gaming systems, how it affects both the player and their surroundings and I will discuss how being a  gamer can help you reach future jobs in the gaming industry.

Gaming systems date back to the early 1970s. You must think that the most recent video game consoles will have the best graphics you can get. Children used to think that the earlier games had cool graphics, but video graphics are getting better and better and more realistic. The latest game consoles have really cool features such as: wireless controllers, Internet connection to use services like Netflix, buy games, and connect with other players. Back in the days, you were only able to play games and the controllers were connected to the console with cords. With all these cool features game systems have to offer you can connect to the Internet, players from all around the world can play together online. While interviewing my mother a 35 year old woman named Rebecca, I asked her how she felt about the new features game systems have she simply said “the more features they add on these games the more distractions they add.” I wholeheartedly agree with what my mother has to say about the new and improved gaming systems as I personally have gotten caught up using these features. During another interview with my dad a 45-year-old man named Felix, he told me that he thinks gaming systems have improved to better as when he was young the only game systems he knew about for the machines they had in laundromat,” he is surprised how advanced video games have become. Gaming systems will continue to get better over time.

Video games, and gaming consoles can distract almost anyone. They are big distractions that pull you away from achieving task. The distraction that these video games bring not only have a distraction to the player but it also affects his or hers surroundings. In Dubai they did a study to prove the effectiveness of new techniques and reducing discomfort during dental procedures. They use 60 healthy children between the ages of five and 11 who have never had any dental experience. They did this to prove that how do you visual distractions and the use of video games was effective and reducing pain during clinical settings. It was found that the video-game distraction was effective in reducing pain. One may think this is barbaric but in fact it was proved to be effective if you video-game is pound four enough to block dental procedures pain then it shows how much of a distraction it is.

On the contrary, gamers are being utilized more and more. With the rise of more technological  things the more people they need who are into these jobs. The increase of drones has made a high demand on gamers. Not every human beings can acquire new skills therefore there is a high demand on video gamers. They need pilots for aerial drones. This is a great pro against all the negativity video gamers get. Gamers can pursue a career or get a job doing something they like to do. This can prove my argument to be not so true, they now consider gamers an important part of society. Industries like Amazon who are looking forward to expanding their delivery options continue to look for drone pilots. I continue to agree that video games are a distraction, but also believe that if you put your distraction in play you can gain something out of it.

One may argue that the games can be a distraction as they evolve over time but I also have to agree that there are new ways to put your distractions away and put them into work. In 5 to 10 years our technology is going to expand, there will no longer be mailman’s, deliveryman,UPS services will be faster and millions of other forms of getting stuff we need will be here in 25 minutes rather than waiting 5-7 business days.  Drones  will soon take over. That’s an inevitable part of our future. We have no power over it we just have to go with the flow however, we should not let game consoles take over our time if we are not going to pursue career with in that field.

Work cited

“Video Games Distract Kids From
pain during Dental Procedures.” LexisNexis. Khaleej Times (United Arab Emirates), 17 Apr. 2010. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.

Green, C. S. “Learning Attention Control, and Action Video Games.” Academic Search Complete. N.p., Mar. 2012. Web. 9 Dec. 2015.