How technology influences my life To be one with Technology and Self. by: Vaswanie Cover

The simplicity, complexity and evolution of technology are a worldwide phenomenon one must be a part of to completely understand why it is the core of our society. Technology continues to evolve as well as its usage. We evolved from a period of horse carriages to assembly line, black and white television to colored and beepers to cell phones etc. From a personal standpoint, technology influenced my career goal, makes my life easier, helped to develop my social skills and is a main component in personal entertainment.

At Approximately 8 years old, shortly after migrating from Jamaica, I had to adjust to the climate change, and the white foreign phenomenon that fell from the sky. My mother explained that it was snow. What caught my interest was the big shovel attached to a very large truck that removed the snow. I questioned “How can a shovel be so big?” “How it is possible for a shovel to be attached to a truck and what made it moved up and down.” My young mind wanted to understand the nook & crannies of how such a device/vehicle operated. At that moment, I developed a passion for technology and how certain devices work. As a result my goal is to be a Computer Technician where I will be able to develop new software, assess, repair and maintain computers.

People of this generation thrive off the new advancements of technology daily, some are well informed and others learn as they go. Technology has been integrated in our daily lives throughout the world. Majority of the population are utilizing ATMs for banking, Laptops or desktops, cell phones & tablets etc. and the list goes on. Technology has its role in everyone who is involved lives but, technology itself is one of the main cores that are a part of my life.

This can be traced back to the development of the human brain and how it continues to evolve through each stage of life. At the burst of life for most children, their motor functions start to develop and they grow used to doing certain functions without thinking. This is due to the use of muscle memory: if you do a certain activity more than once, your body gets use to doing the task and the repetition makes it much easier. The same applies to “Most” modern day technologies.

When you go to the bank to make a withdrawal or a deposit, the machine tends to know what task to do when information is input in a fast pace. This is done due to 1. The machine was made to do that main task only 2. The main function of an Automated Teller Machine has to do with the handling of money. This topic connects to the simplicity of technology meaning it is there for our convenience. For instance, the subway trains we use on a daily basis, which many of us take for granted is used to get us to and from our destinations. Also, the smart boards most teachers use in high schools and colleges (Prior: Was a chalk board) to display and edit work for students.

4 years after coming from Jamaica, I had to adjust to the climate change. When it was cold n the United States, I was just trying to get use to the temperature when it was cold because in Jamaica it is always a constant, almost the same, kind of heat all the time. My first experience with winter was the bitter cold; I had no knowledge of the substance. Similar to just come experience” (As my fellow Jamaicans would say), technologies has always intrigued by interest to dissect each device works.

At a young age, I always received compliments on my quick advancements when using cellphones, and gaming devices. As I grew older, I fell in love with the feel of having technology literally at my fingertips. As time went by, I found myself very fascinated by the new introduction of technological devices that emerged. Many children were eager to get the most recent cellphones and gadgets. On the other hand, I questioned, “How does this work? What is inside of this device that brings this piece of technology to life?”

Technologies have many uses and basis to start from when you really think about it that is the reason why technology will continue to be one of the main components of my life. When speaking about technologies it doesn’t always have to be about the modern day technologies but, it can also be about the uses of the past. In the past (Late 1800’s- Early 1900’s), everyone relied on their physically ability more because technology was still a fresh concept. For example, the first type writer was invented in 1868. This piece of machine was used for inputting information which is the same as a laptop. It was beneficial until it evolved over time into something much better which became the laptop. This one of the many beautiful benefits of technology, it will always keep evolving and will never stop. One last reason technology is so beneficial to my life is because; it is my own stress relief and my “Break from Reality”. When it comes to stress, the only way I can think of dealing with it is, to pull out my cellphone at any time I am feeling down or upset and listen to music. As music keeps evolving, technologies will also keep evolving alongside of it. As my cellphone keeps getting upgrades and updates, so will my love and respect for technology.

I started to love technology because; it benefits me in various ways. If you happen to know me through association of my friends, they can tell you that I am a very social person and also how I like technology a lot. When you are actively social on a daily basis, it is not an easy task but it is very rewarding more mentally than physically. I could be in the most serious of meetings (Job, Club etc.) but always find myself thinking of ways to win the opposing person over to my side with my convincing argument. When you are social, you find yourself having the ability to talk to almost anyone as long as the other person is in favor. Technology greatly syncs to my Social ability because, I need it to help me in situations which it is required. For example, when meeting new friends anywhere you venture out to on a daily basis, you don’t just introduce yourself, have a good time with, and then walk away. Adding a person’s contact information is a tradition that been useful for years now just in cases you need assistance or just for future reference. Speaking of references, now-a-days you can’t fill out a job application online for a majority of jobs because, you need references. There are other ways Technology and being Social are connected. When it comes to Social Networks, they are one of the most beneficial and highly used technology based communications that a person may or may not require today. I mainly use Facebook, Instagram and Snap-chat daily for Entertainment, resources, and communication reasons. A lot of people use Facebook to connect and contact friends to make plans for work or just to plan a date for activities. Snap-chat and Instagram are mainly used for entertainment. When going through the stress and the slow hours of each day, you need something to balance out the work you did when you get home. This is basically why I keep up to date in most recent applications out today on the market. No social network would be available to use unless there was correspondent technologies to support the updates and the platform of these new resources.

While I try to better myself physically and mentally for whatever the future hold for me career wise and financially, I know technology will always have my back if I need any type of assistance. As long as technology exists, so will evolution of it and my interest in it. When I achieve my goal of being a Computer Technician and owning my own company, I will spread my knowledge and commitment to Technology to another person who need an inspiration to get far in life. In the future, I look forward to seeing how far technologies will advance before I take my last breath.