About Me: Self-Reflection

The Service Learning Project (SLP) was a challenge that helped me develop several skills. One skill that the SLP helped me refine were my collaboration skills, namely with the staff at my clinical site, at 107-109 Avenue D (Community Access). Due to the sensitive nature of the residents, I needed guidance in regard to interacting with residents. The service coordinator worked closely with me to supervise, guide, and enhance the care I was giving. With mutual respect and open communication, we were able to collaborate to effect positive outcomes. By the middle of the semester, the service coordinator was receptive to my suggestions and I was receptive to any improvements he had to suggest. Through collaboration, I was able to lead several group discussions regarding several topics (nutrition, tobacco use, general health concerns, etc.) successfully.

In addition, my time management skills were also improved. Since the project was largely autonomous and depended on setting our own schedule for completion, time had to be utilized correctly. I learned to break down the larger project into smaller, more manageable portions to complete tasks in a timely manner.

Furthermore, working with the group was relatively easy for me. Each group member was proactive and on the same page to execute a comprehensive, well-done, and accurate project. We managed each other and collaborated to ensure a smooth process. Due to the positive group dynamics, we were able to work well together and present a completed project that was exceptional. Although we all had several differences, we were able to use good communication, maintain respect, and used peer-review to balance each other out.