Assignment 7- Form and Space
In this section, we look at 3 dimensional form, different from shape but created by bringing depth to flat shapes, AND the space they occupy.
- We will start with digital forms created in Illustrator, using the 3D and Extrude and Revolve tools, experimenting first and then designing one or two pages of forms into a composition.
- Design composition(s) will utilize Design Principles:
- *Repetition and Variation – choose 1-3 types of forms, repeat and make changes in SCALE (small to large to create depth in SPACE), and
- COLOR variations; to add depth change INTENSITY OR VALUE (such as softer hues when forms recede in space, bolder when advancing forward)
- Movement/Rhythm/Rotation: Make your form rotate in space, using blue cube in Extrude window to keep turning a form; spinning, falling, stacking, turning, etc to create a sequence on the page.
part two–DRAWING – CHALLENGE YOURSELVES
MAKE 2 + PAGES ON 9″X12″ SKETCHBOOK OR BRISTOL WORKING FROM THE FORMS YOU CREATED IN ILLUSTRATOR AND CAN ALSO PRACTICE BASIC 3D SKETCHING OF GEOMETRIC FORMS
MAKE SURE TO VIEW SOME OF YOUR ILLUSTRATOR FORMS IN WIRE FRAME MODE IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE WITHIN THE FORMS FOR TRUE UNDERSTANDING
USE CONCEPTS/TOOLS OF LINEAR FORM INCLUDING CROSS CONTOUR AND TRANSPARENCY IDEAS DISCUSSED IN CLASS. SEE RESOURCES.