Working Remotely

Photo by Microsoft 365 on Unsplash

Since 2020, work environments have had to change and relocate to be completely remote. This was a difficult transition for many places, and it made it more difficult for people who did not have access to a specific technology or a secure working environment at home. It was a big change for me to go from in-person to online, but it was for the best. I began to complete my work more quickly, I had more time to do schoolwork instead of wasting time traveling back and forth to campus, and I felt mentally better.

My internship is online, which helps me get my work done. Client meetings are only 20 minutes long, so having a Zoom call is just as simple as seeing them in person. I know where my internship workplace is and what room it is in, but I don’t have to go there unless I am told to. We don’t have to dress up for our weekly one-on-one zoom meetings, but we do have to share what work we did. Our Zoom meeting etiquette would be to pay attention to the feedback our teammates offer us and to remind our teammates what we are working on each week before presenting.

A downside of being online is that I have to ensure that nothing interferes with the schedule of my weekly meetings and that I am in a quiet location to participate in a Zoom call. Being online is a better workspace for me because I am constantly on my computer doing work, so it is easier for me to be on my computer, have my client zoom meetings, and have my team meetings all in one space where I can quickly exchange information.