The First Project

Photo by Sabri Tuzcu on Unsplash

Being in a new environment can be both exciting and overwhelming at first. You never know what to expect, and adjusting to the flow of things can take weeks. During the first week of my internship, I was nervous to see how things would turn out; I had questions about my first project, such as whether it would be difficult. Will I be able to meet the client’s expectations? Do I have the necessary skills to complete the task? I was assigned an illustration project for my first project. This client wanted a measurement character illustration for their baking class to use as a reference for their students. I felt happy to receive this assignment because my supervisor anticipated that I would enjoy it because of the illustration task.

I began by emailing the client to schedule a Zoom Meeting to further discuss what they required. I began with three different ideas after speaking with the client. It is essential to go further than what a client expects and to think of ways they may not have considered. Over two weeks, I began to create more detailed sketches. I was worried that the client wouldn’t like my idea and would ask me to come up with another one. Fortunately, the client liked my suggestions, and we settled on two designs for two different measurements. I began showing my work to my team, recognizing their revisions, and sharing those revisions with the client. These additional suggestions were well received by the client, and I made the final changes. I emailed the client a PDF version of the final deliverables, and they invited me to come in and get baked goods made by their classmates as a thank you.