Obtaining an Internship

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

My internship requires me to create and design content, assist with projects, and collaborate with faculty. The faculty come to us with an idea or a project in mind, but they lack the design abilities that we do as designers to bring their ideas to life. It’s a fantastic way for faculty and students to connect and share new ideas. My supervisor is in charge of organizing our weekly team meetings and assigning us to work for a faculty client. This internship was suggested by a former professor who emailed us on the last day of our last semester, Fall 2022. I was already nervous about finding an internship for the Spring 2023 semester, so I applied right away. During the application process, I was required to obtain letters of recommendation from my professors, and my professors were aware of the internship and agreed that I would be a good fit.

I chose this internship because it would be my first graphic design internship, and working for a school appeals to me. I received an email from the team shortly after applying, asking when I was available for an online interview. During the online interview, I was asked a series of questions that I found interesting because they were different from what I was used to being asked. They were questions like, “What was one project in your portfolio that you would change and why?” and “Was there a team project you worked on where you disagreed with your teammates?”. These questions were great because they made me think about my work. After speaking with the team, I had a one-on-one interview with the supervisor, who gave me an overview of the internship and what is expected each week. This interview lasted about an hour, and at the end, I was told that if I got the internship, I would hear back by the end of the week. The interview was on a Wednesday and the next day, Thursday, and I found out right away that I had gotten the internship. I was relieved and excited because this was the only internship I applied for.

Following my acceptance, I was informed that I would be required to participate in a week of online training. The online training included me working on a personal project and then with the other new intern to demonstrate to the team how well we work independently and as a team. We had to present our work to the rest of our design team on the last day of training and get feedback. Overall, it was a really fun and new experience doing this because I had never been in a design internship before, and I feel lucky to be surrounded by inspiring design teammates from whom we can learn.