Relating my Internship to my Major (#9)

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

Being a designer and growing as a designer has given me confidence in myself. I used to be very self-conscious, shy, and unwilling to work in groups or interact with others, and I didn’t believe anything I created had a purpose or was good enough. Before becoming a designer, I had no idea what I wanted to do or what my abilities and interests were. Beginning college allowed me to explore my passions for art and design. I discovered what I am most passionate about while attending graphic design classes over the last four years.

I was given the opportunity to intern as a designer with a team, working on group and individual projects. My major is Communication Design, and I am studying how to deliver a message through design. Taking classes where we had to work in groups as well as classes where we had to work alone has prepared me for this internship. We are given a range of projects to work on, many of which have deadlines and must appear a certain way to attract a specific target demographic. To complete a project, we must work with different programs and different methods, just as in school. Because there is no one way to create a project, knowing how to use numerous tools and methods can help me enhance the quality of my work. Overall, my internship and major are related because we must focus on providing a project that can convey to various target groups through design.