Class of 2017
Welcome to the dental hygiene program
Each fall brings back memories of my first day of Dental Hygiene school over 20 years ago. I was an adult with four children returning to school after 21 years – Very Scary!!! Many doubts and fears running through my head all asking the question, “Can I do this?”
The answer is obvious now, yes I could and yes I did. AND SO CAN YOU.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE STRATEGIES THAT HELPED ME:
- Setting a REALISTIC study schedule. Taking a realistic look at what was expected of me both at home and at school (which included eating and sleeping).
- Then came the discipline which meant that I had to stick to the schedule (as best as possible – revising as I went along)
- DOING THE WORK – staying on top of EVERYTHING (it’s really tough to ‘catch up’)
- USING A STUDY GROUP
- ASKING QUESTIONS when confused or not sure
- SEEKING HELP when in trouble.
Ask any dental hygienist you may know how they succeeded and I am sure that you will find that they followed a very similar formula.
I wish only the best for all of you. Remember, the faculty is there is help and support you throughout these 2 years, help us to help you!
See you in class, Professor Maria Bilello