Ethics in Advertising and Marketing: 2A/B

2a. I have produced various youtube videos that use a variety of different media. I used stock footage, unlicensed images, and meme videos under the fair use clause. But my biggest hiccups with copyright were with the music in my videos. Of course, I used free music from places like non-copyright sounds on YouTube, but much of those tracks left much to be desired. As response to this, I reached out to my musician friends and requested to use their original tracks for my youtube videos. Many of them gave me textual consent to use their music and one of them even made an original beat for an intro to my youtube channel. Although I would not get copyright struck, I made sure to attribute their music in the youtube description and sometimes even as on-screen graphics.

2b. The Shepard Fairey case is a perfect example of what can happen when designers ignore the ethics of design. Fairey sold & profited from his “Hope” poster featuring a photograph he did not have the rights to use. This counts as a form of plagiarism since he used the original image as a majority of his composition. Furthermore, the only changes he made were the color treatment and the text at the bottom. While some may argue that these edits show Fairey creating an original rendition of the photograph, monetizing a remix of a photograph you did not have the rights to edit becomes questionable. However, this case resides in a grey area. For instance, YouTubers & influencers constantly remix pre-existing ideas and often blatantly copy intellectual property for their own gain and they are still left unpunished. Perhaps because the scale of plagiarism on the internet has become so grand and the vagueness of the concept of intellectual property prevents efficient enforcement of these laws. Either way, Fairey sold an image without the licensing to do so and paid for it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/arts/design/shepard-fairey-damaged-chinatown.html