Learning Self-Analysis

When I began nursing school, I expected that most of our coursework would only cover medical-related topics and that would be all a nurse needed to know.  This held true for the associate’s degree, but was surprised by how much more there was in the bachelor’s portion, in what I had considered softer, non-essential topics. As someone who tends towards modesty, I can safely say that I feel more well-rounded both as a nursing professional and a citizen. It has prepared me to make more contributions in my daily practice and on a national stage.  My clinical placements spurred me to examine my communication skills more thoroughly.  Learning about nursing’s history has led me to conclude that legal matters that affect nurses and society are more in flux than I’d assumed.  I also have a better understanding of the roles that nursing organizations fulfill, and that has made me feel much more adequately equipped to try and effect changes.  Learning about how social determinants affect individual health has changed my perspectives, making me more informed and able to more critically appraise policy.  Writing papers has made me comfortable enough with professional research journals that I feel I may one day be able to produce research myself.