HW 7 – Carroll

Read “Backpacks vs. Briefcases” by Laura Bolin Carroll and respond to the questions below. 

• What did you think of this text? Explain!  Be honest! Did you find any parts interesting? Did you learn something new?
  • What is it mostly about? Write a 2-3 sentence summary. Be specific. Refer to the text itself. Use quotes even! 
  • What is the genre of the text? What is the tone?
  • Who do you think is the intended audience of the piece? Who is meant to read this text?
  • What do you think is the purpose of this text? Why do you think the author wrote it?
  • What are some examples of rhetoric that you see or hear on a daily basis? 
  • Define Ethos, Pathos and Logos.
  • Define audience, exigence and constraints.

1. Willdarlyn Martinez

I didn’t like this text because it took a little long for me to understand and get to the point of the text. This text is mostly about the judgments that we make based on someone’s appearance. Also, we jump to conclusions by thinking that someone is a certain type of way just by their physical appearance. I think that the genre of the text is a narrative and that the tone of the text would be how the author feels strongly about how people judge each other. I think the intended audience is everyone who knows what it’s like to be judged or judged. I feel like the purpose of this text was to show the rhetoric in our lives that has become so common that we don’t even notice it anymore. The author may have written this to inform the readers that rhetoric is more a part of our lives than we think. An example of rhetoric that I hear daily would be “Are you hungry?”. Ethos would be an advertisement, Pathos would be the emotions put into the argument and logos would be clear and concrete ideas that go together. The audience would be the people who are listening to you speak, exigence would be the main situation and constraints would be the limitations.

2. Abubakary11

The text is about critical thinking and the importance of rhetorical analysis and gaining an understanding of multiple forms of media, understanding for this will make you gain accurate judgement towards the information you’re consuming as said “Understanding rhetorical messages is essential to help us become informed consumers, but it also helps evaluate the ethics of messages, how they affect us personally, and how they affect society.” I believe this text genre is a manual is informing us heavily on rhetorical analysis and give steps for readers to approach different forms of medias. The intended audience of this text are students or people learning about rhetorical analysis, the text mostly goes over the fundamentals of analyzing rhetoric in different forms of media. The people who are meant to read this are people who strives to understand and analyze deep messages in various forms of media..the author wrote this with the purpose of guiding and informing readers to help students understand rhetoric and interpret different medias accurately. An example of rhetorical analysis I see on a daily basis are socal media posts, people use rhetoric to express memes or messages. What ethos means is credibility, probably the person is reliable and credible towards something. Pathos is how someone uses emotions to influence you in their favor. Logos meaning being argumentative from reasoning and highlights the intellectual side of an audience. Audience in this text means someone who is either intended or unintended listens and receives a rhetorical message from someone and exigence means basically rendering a response to a rhetoric and questioning it and why is it needed. Constraint in this text is defined as how limited messages can be presented, can be due to beliefs, attitudes, traditions etc, it limits how discourse is delivered and communicates.

3. Samantha Ismael

If you want me to be honest, the text wasn’t that interesting to me because its kind took a long time for me to get an understanding of the text.The text is about the importance of rhetorical analysis and explains how rhetoric is utilized to make informed decisions. The text also states where rhetoric can be found and how to discern the different aspects of rhetoric. “Media is one of the most important places where this kind of analysis needs to happen. Rhetoric—the way we use language and images to Persuade—is what makes media work.”The genre of the text is a narrative and the tone of the text is stating your opinion. The intended audience of the piece is about people that want to learn rhetorical analysis. I think the author wrote it to shows fundamentals and daily use of rhetorical analysis. The purpose of this text showing the various places rhetoric can be used, such as a judgement on a professor or roommate. Some examples of rhetoric Lawyers present emotional arguments to sway a jury. Define; ethos-The characteristic spirit of a culture, era, or community as manifested in its beliefs and aspirations. Pathos-A quality that evokes pity or sadness. Logos-The audience’s reason, building up logical arguments. Define; audience-The intended readers or listeners of a message. Exigence-This answers the question: why is what you’re saying important to say now? Does it address a current issue? What situation sprung you to begin crafting your message?. Constraints-A limitation or restriction.

4. ashley

This text by-Laura Bolin Carroll explores the intricacies of rhetorical analysis through everyday examples, emphasizing the importance of understanding rhetoric in our media-saturated lives. It illustrates how our first impressions, driven by subtle cues, form a basis for analysis, and extends this idea to media consumption, where rhetoric plays a pivotal role in persuasion.

1. Impression of the Text:
    2. The text provides an engaging exploration into how we, often subconsciously, analyze and judge scenarios and individuals based on appearances and initial impressions. It effectively bridges this common human tendency to the broader and more structured analysis of rhetoric, especially in media. The everyday examples make the text relatable and the transition to media analysis is insightful.
    3. Summary:
    4. Carroll delineates the process of rhetorical analysis using the analogy of first impressions on meeting someone, like a professor, based on their attire or accessories. This informal analysis, as per the text, translates to a more formal analysis of media where rhetoric is utilized to persuade or inform. The text states, “Media is constantly asking you to buy something, act in some way, believe something to be true, or interact with others in a specific manner,” illustrating the pervasive nature of rhetoric in our daily media interactions.
    5. Genre and Tone:
    6. The genre can be classified as instructional or informative, leaning towards academic discourse. The tone is analytical, educative, and engaging, aiming to provoke thought and awareness regarding the subtle and overt rhetorical elements we encounter daily.
    7. Intended Audience:
    8. The intended audience seems to be students, educators, or anyone interested in understanding or teaching rhetoric, particularly as it relates to media analysis. The text’s structured layout and practical examples aim at elucidating complex concepts for a broad audience.
    9. Purpose:
    10. The text aims to educate the reader on the importance and application of rhetorical analysis in everyday situations, especially in media consumption. Through this, Carroll likely intends to foster a more informed and critical audience that can discern and evaluate the messages bombarding them daily.
    11. Daily Rhetoric Examples:
    12. Examples of daily rhetoric include advertising campaigns, social media posts, political speeches, and news articles, all employing various rhetorical strategies to persuade or inform their audiences.
    13. Ethos, Pathos, and Logos:
    14. Ethos refers to the ethical appeal or credibility of the speaker. Pathos pertains to emotional appeal, aiming to evoke emotions in the audience. Logos revolves around logical appeal, providing rational arguments to persuade the audience.
    15. Audience, Exigence, and Constraints:
    16. Audience refers to the individuals the message is directed towards. Exigence is the urgent issue or situation that prompts the creation of the text. Constraints are the limitations or boundaries within which the rhetorical discourse occurs, like cultural norms, societal expectations, or specific regulations.

Through this piece, Carroll invites readers to become more critically engaged with the rhetoric surrounding them, emphasizing the importance of understanding and analyzing the persuasive elements in media and daily interactions.

5. Karyll Aina

“Backpacks vs Briefcases” by Laura Bolin Corroll was somewhat interesting. It discusses the various examples of rhetoric and how it exists around us. I found it interesting because I didn’t know that there was a specific term to something individuals do on a daily basis. I didn’t know that individuals doing something as simple as observing someone can be used and implemented in writing styles.

Carroll teaches us how to identify rhetoric based on various steps and how to identify them in our everyday lives. Caroll also expresses the different types and how that influences individuals. Carroll states, “The more we know about how to analyze situations and draw informed conclusions, the better we can become about making savvy judgments about the people, situations and media we encounter.” This quote goes to show knowing how to identify rhetoric around us, will help individuals better understand how it persuades one’s opinion. 

I believe that “Backpacks vs Briefcases” by Laura Bolin Corroll is an informative article. The tone is informative as well since the author is trying to express the importance of rhetoric and how it’s utilized everyday. 

The intended audience for “Backpacks vs Briefcases” by Laura Bolin Corroll are students and individuals wanting to learn rhetoric and how to utilize it. By knowing how to identify it around us, it allows the individuals to better understand how to implement it in their writing. 

The purpose of this text is to allow individuals to know how to identify rhetoric around them and understand the impact it has on individuals.

Some examples of rhetoric in my life are when I believe the internet more than my friends because of the internet’s credibility. 

According to this reading, ethos is one’s credibility, pathos is when someone uses emotion in order to sway the audience and Logos is “argument from reason”. 

Audiences are the individuals that are being targeted to react to the rhetoric. Exigence is the moment that pushes an individual to speak upon a situation/event and constraints are things that limit how a rhetoric is expressed. 

6. Yutzill Hernandez

This was a text for me to understand, like the words here and there. I had trouble trying to understand the story. But from what I understand, it talks about judgment and how it’s around us. When we meet someone or someone presents you to someone else we judge quickly without knowing them. We start assuming how they are and think they are good people or bad people. So from what i think the genre is that the author thinks society judge people way to quickly without knowing them yet. This article can be for students or workers wanting to learn rhetoric and how to utilize it. The author wrote this for us know that rhetoric is always around us daily and how we can manage it and how it impacts individuals.

7. Jelias Nieves

1- I liked this text because it talks about rhetorical analysis, and it fascinated me that it’s used when observing or judging someone which can then be used in your writing.

2- Carroll uses the example of first impressions when meeting someone, based on their appearance or what they’re wearing, to show an example used in rhetorical analysis. According to this text, it translates to a more formal analysis of media in which rhetoric is employed for the purpose of informing or persuasion. The passage highlights the usage of rhetoric in our everyday media encounters.

3- The genre of this text is an informative article. the tone is informative because the author is trying to teach the audience what rhetoric analysis is.

4-the intended audience of this piece is for students or other people who can use rhetoric in their own writing or people who simply want to know what rhetoric is.

5- the purpose of this text is to teach rhetoric to the intended audience and how to understand or implement it in your own writing.

6- the main examples of rhetoric I see in everyday life, is advertisement. Whether I am at home on my phone, or on the train home I can see billboards and commercials everywhere I go to promote people to buy a product or services that the advertisement is promising.

7- The author defines Ethos, Pathos, and Logos in the text, “It also asks you to trust the company’s credibility, or ethos, and to believe the messages they send…Logos is commonly defined as argument from reason, and it usually appeals to an audience’s intellectual side…These stories, which are often heart-wrenching, use emotion to persuade you—also called pathos.” The author means that Ethos is ones credibility, while Logos appeals to a persons logical sense and Pathos appealing to ones emotions.

8- In this text, the author defines audience, exigence, and constraints. “Lloyd Bitzer argues that there are three parts to understanding the context of a rhetorical moment: exigence, audience and constraints. Exigence is the circumstance or condition that invites a response…Another part of the rhetorical context is audience, those who are the (intended or unintended) recipients of the rhetorical message…The last piece of the rhetorical situation is the constraints. The constraints of the rhetorical situation are those things that have the power to “constrain decision and action needed to modify the exigence” (Bitzer 306).” The author is trying to explain that Exigence evokes a response, the audience are the individuals that are receiving the rhetorical message, and constraints which limit the way the rhetorical message is being sent to the audience.

8. Jelias Nieves

a. I liked this text because it talks about rhetorical analysis, and it fascinated me that it’s used when observing or judging someone which can then be used in your writing.

b. Carroll uses the example of first impressions when meeting someone, based on their appearance or what they’re wearing, to show an example used in rhetorical analysis. According to this text, it translates to a more formal analysis of media in which rhetoric is employed for the purpose of informing or persuasion. The passage highlights the usage of rhetoric in our everyday media encounters.

c. The genre of this text is an informative article. the tone is informative because the author is trying to teach the audience what rhetoric analysis is.

d. the intended audience of this piece is for students or other people who can use rhetoric in their own writing or people who simply want to know what rhetoric is.

e. the purpose of this text is to teach rhetoric to the intended audience and how to understand or implement it in your own writing.

f. the main examples of rhetoric I see in everyday life, is advertisement. Whether I am at home on my phone, or on the train home I can see billboards and commercials everywhere I go to promote people to buy a product or services that the advertisement is promising.

g. The author defines Ethos, Pathos, and Logos in the text, “It also asks you to trust the company’s credibility, or ethos, and to believe the messages they send…Logos is commonly defined as argument from reason, and it usually appeals to an audience’s intellectual side…These stories, which are often heart-wrenching, use emotion to persuade you—also called pathos.” The author means that Ethos is ones credibility, while Logos appeals to a persons logical sense and Pathos appealing to ones emotions.

h. In this text, the author defines audience, exigence, and constraints. “Lloyd Bitzer argues that there are three parts to understanding the context of a rhetorical moment: exigence, audience and constraints. Exigence is the circumstance or condition that invites a response…Another part of the rhetorical context is audience, those who are the (intended or unintended) recipients of the rhetorical message…The last piece of the rhetorical situation is the constraints. The constraints of the rhetorical situation are those things that have the power to “constrain decision and action needed to modify the exigence” (Bitzer 306).” The author is trying to explain that Exigence evokes a response, the audience are the individuals that are receiving the rhetorical message, and constraints which limit the way the rhetorical message is being sent to the audience.

9. Oluwatomisin

I didn’t like the text because it was very long and tedious. It also took me a while to understand it, and even after re-reading it, I still don’t understand it that well. The text highlights thinking critically, especially understanding different media forms and analyzing rhetoric. These skills help you make accurate judgments about the information you come across. The genre of the text is an informative article. The tone is informative. The intended audience is students, teachers, or anyone interested in learning. This text aims to teach people about rhetoric and how to apply it to their writing. Some examples of rhetoric I see daily are Advertisements, social media posts, and news articles. Ethos is the Credibility or trustworthiness of the speaker or source. Pathos is an Appeal to emotions. Logos is an Appeal to logic and reason. Audience is the group of people for whom a message or communication is intended.. Exigence is The issue, problem, or situation that prompts or necessitates communication. Constraints is  the limitations, factors, or restrictions that influence the communication process.

10. aromero

-This text was alright; I would read it again if I was really bored. I didn’t pick up on anything new.

-The text is mostly about judgement, first impressions, things that you see in someone. More so just what it is like to analyze.

-The intended audience is more so towards students, or just younger people, I’d consider even some adults.

-The purpose of this text is to get people to start critically analyzing, what to put into your writing.

-Ethos faces towards credibility, pathos faces towards emotions, and logos faces towards logic, facts.