Learning Blog

My future goals are to pursue a Masters of Nursing degree and eventually Doctorate Nursing however right now I need to rest.  I am looking to begin again in September 2014.

What have I learned apart from course requirements?

I have learned, more about the profession of nursing in the last four months, than I have in the last four years.  I have learned that irregardless of how others view nursing and nurses we rock! And we are different from everyone else.

I have learned that is it just as important to advocate for the rights of nurses just as it is to advocate for the patient.  In fact in our advocacy for ourselves is indirect advocacy for our clients. As we advocate for legislation for improved staffing it is the patient who benefits, as we legislate for a standard universal scope of practice not only does it provide clarity for nurses but again improved care with better outcomes for the client.

I can go on and on and on. But my point is WE MUST BE INVOLVED IN OUR PROFESSION PAST THE POINT OF WORK! WE MUST BECOME POLITICALLY ACTIVE FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF NURSING.  We are the backbone of healthcare.

I learned I will learn so much more from participation in professional organizations and attending the meetings.  For whomever reads this, I urge you to join a professional organization and become involved and watch yourself grow.