Course Work and Competencies

Course ID                                 Course Name                            Competencies

HUS3501                               Counseling Methods                     Learned about observation, active listening, reflecting feelings, confrontation, focusing, reflection of meaning and learning about the micro skills you need to know when doing a counseling session.

HUS3504                              Group Work Practice                    Learned about the stages of group development, recognize and deal with transference in a group, learned about the necessary skills for group leaders and got to practice these skills by creating a group and being the leader.

HUS4700                               Professional Internship                 This course helped me decide what population I wanted to work with.  It made me understand more about the homeless population and everything that they go through.

HUS4803                               Resource Development                In this course I learned about non profit organizations, federal tax exemption rules, understand function of by-laws and board of directors and how to write a grant proposal.  This course is very effective if one day I decide to open up my own non profit organization.

HEA                                       Vulnerable Populations                This course gave me the skills I need to work with vulnerable population, to better understand them and bring out the skills that these clients never knew they had.

My internship has been amazing.  I worked with children in a daycare.  We teach and care for them. I never knew that I would enjoy working with children so much.  I never imagined I had the patience and the ability to work with many children at once and be able to teach them.  It made me realize how much passion I had towards this population and how much I believe in them.