NYtimes Travel Section, Article 11.24.13

“Some Help on the Nonrefundable Front”

This article is extremely interesting. I actually work as a revenue analyst and can spend hours developing this topic. To me, the best part of this rule is that other guests will be able to use the room (reservation) as it was booked and scheduled. Eventhough I fully comprehend and respect the guest opinion and position, non-refundable rates are highly restricted. There are a few reasons and some of them are: Once you make a prepaid/non refundable reservation you are lock in on the rate, no matter if the hotel occupancy level increases or drops, it does not matter if the hotel selling rates are incremented or lowered, you will be enjoying the benefit of that lower rate. Guests across the board, become extremely upset because they like to make changes to prepaid/non cancellable reservations. This information is stated on the booking and prior clicking on the “to confirm/proceed” button, the system asks again to review the terms and conditions of the booking. All of us would like to purchase the best available room, with the best view at the best price. Why wouldn’t we? The question here: is it also fair for a hotel to loose the room night + revenue of a prepaid reservation because the guest for instance did not read the terms and conditions/change plans, etc? The situation can be slightly different if the guest for example experiences a death in the family or any other circumstances out of the guest’s hand such as weather issues. I’ve personally cancelled and refunded prepaid/non refundable reservations based on the circumstances. I think allowing other people, with the approval of the main traveler of course, to use this type of booking is a great alternative.