Project Description

Culmination

Project Description

I’ve been studying multiple facets of production at City Tech for several years now and my greatest interest has definitely been video and film production. I’ve grown up watching television and film and feel as though I have much to contribute to the industry. Which is why I have chosen my Video and Lighting as my two main focuses of production. Lighting is probably the second most important part of production. Considering that if there was no light there would be no video.

Which is why I have chosen for my project to re-film two movie scenes of my choosing. The two scenes I plan on recreating are from the movies, “Leon: The Professional” and “Brick”. My plan for the scene from the professional is to recreate the scene and lighting as closely as possible using my own actors and my own lighting and sound equipment. As for the scene from Brick I plan to not only re-film the scene but completely revamp it. The scene is a chase sequence between two characters. The scene was only shot at a few angles with very few cuts between, giving it a slower pace compared to most action sequences which utilize fast shots from multiple angles. So I feel I can improve on the scene by adding more shots and having my editor speed up the pace of the scene in post to create the illusion of the action being more intense than it actually is. Possibly have some dramatic music added.

Now this will be a challenge because I don’t have the big film budget so of course none of the high-end equipment and very few cast and crew, meaning my abilities will be limited. I have friends who’d be happy to help with the project but most of whom balance work, school and personal lives. It’ll be difficult to get several of them on the same time slot.  Coordinating the shoot will be the biggest part of this project.  This will be a great production exercise. This will test my abilities to coordinate shots, schedule and direct cast and crew and how well I can utilize my knowledge and resources. “Brick” follows Brandon, a smart and resourceful high school student, as he investigates the whereabouts of his missing girlfriend. The scene picks up as he’s being chased down by a knife wielding thug. “Leon: The Professional” tells the story of a hitman who under unfortunate circumstances takes in and befriends a young girl. The scene will depict the young girl Mathilda who returns home to find her family’s been slaughtered and must rely on her strange neighbor to save her from being next. One scene is meant for suspense while the other is meant to create a drama. My father showed me The Professional growing up and I never really had an appreciation for it until recently. As for Brick, I was flipping through channels one day and stumbled upon the movie. I thought the movie was very clever and well done. Just by watching the scene you can gauge how clever the main character is. I’ve always been a fan of action and suspense in movies and I hope to one-day write or direct films myself. So doing these two scenes would help put me in the mindset of a director who’s making an action or suspense movie and why they may have made the decisions that they did.