This is a foundation course in typography with an emphasis on using type for a multiple of industry related applications.

Welcome to Type & Media

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Fall semester of Type & Media,  COMD1167, section D137. This is your class website and part of your required reading.  Here you will find loads of resources to help you get through the course. As often as I find interesting materials that will supplement and enhance your learning, I will update this site with them.  Sometimes you will find a recap from the day’s lesson. If I find no one is utilizing the info, I will stop posting it. Therefore, you should plan to check in here before and after each class—especially to get updates to  class and homework assignments. It is your responsibility to keep up with the information that is posted, and your participation on this site will contribute to it’s usefulness and help to enhance it. So, remember to post and comment when assigned to do so, and as often as possible to keep the discussion going. You contribution can make a big difference

Let’s get started! In the comments below, share a few of the things you are looking forward to learning in this class.

1. Francis Xie

As a person with some novice experience with typography, I look forward to engaging more in-depth into the topic to fully grasp the entire topic in the end.

2. Jennifer Vazquez

I have done some bits of graphic design, mostly with images and colors. I am looking forward in learning about typography and how to use it to improve my work.

3. Jasmine Mason

What I am looking forward to is learning for more typography as I am a beginner with this subject. I am very interested in the calligraphy portion as well as gaining more skill in graphic design

4. Juan

This is all pretty much new to me coming from a different major, so I just hope to learn all I can about typography that I will be able to.

5. jason

I’m new the major since I’m just a freshman in college but I would love to learn more about graphic design. I’m looking forward to learning more about typography and be more aware of it anywhere I go.

6. Jenny

i’m looking forward to learning a lot more about typography and learning how to use Adobe indesign since i never really use it.

7. Ashley

I’m looking forward to learn about typography and how it can make my work stand out creatively. I learned how to do some coding in my high school, but I want to know what else I can learn. I’m completely looking forward for this semester!

8. William

This would be my first time experiencing typography. So I would like to learn why typography is crucial or how it influences the person thats looking at it.

9. Davin De Leon

I have noticed several things while exploring what kind of type can be found in my neighborhood. One thing I noticed was that at whenever it turns nighttime some of the type within my neighborhood becomes illuminated with color. Colors can be used to represent certain things. In this case color was used to represent the companies or businesses that can be found in my neighborhood. For example, the phone company known as T-Mobile is just one of the businesses that can be found in my neighborhood. The colors white and pink are often used to best represent this business. Therefore, in order to attract people the colors white and pink are used in the sign of the T-Mobile store in order to attract people.
    Colors are not just used to represent a company or business, but are also used to represent a certain place that the store is dedicated to. For example the colors that are present within the type found on the awning of “Meyo’s Cleaners” are the colors red and green. These colors are part of the Mexican flag which indicates that this store is dedicated to the country of mexico. Another thing I noticed about the type within my neighborhood was the presence of an example of how type can be made to represent what a certain business is about. This example is present in the awning of the jewelry store in my neighborhood. The type on the awning has a font that makes it look as if it a part of something that is very expensive. Since the store is mainly focused on jewelry in general it was decided that the font of the type on the awning should be made to represent what the store focuses on which are jewels.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Thanks Davin. This response doesn’t go here. Please read the question in this post and comment with your answer. Be sure to re-read the assignment for type in your neighborhood and follow those instructions.