Philosophy Statement

As a nurse, I strive to always be caring and compassionate as well as provide culturally competent care. These three factors will help guide me to become the nurse I aspire to be in my career. At New York City College of Technology, the nursing program follows Jean Watson’s theory of human caring. This theory emphasizes the importance of treating patients from a holistic approach rather than focusing on their illness. My goal in nursing is to always provide the best care to my ability while respecting the beliefs of patients. My nursing school experience has given me insight into the importance of being culturally aware. If I am not culturally competent, then I will not be able to provide optimal patient care. Understanding the patient’s different beliefs and values can help create a therapeutic relationship and allow for an effective plan of care. Following a holistic approach is essential in nursing because it can help when treating patients and when advocating for patients as well. It is important to remember that the patient should always be the center of care under any circumstance.