BHS Field Trip on 9-30

On September 30,2013 my class took a field trip to the Brooklyn Historical Society. We went with our English and Effective speaking professors and we stopped at various locations before we got there. First we stopped off at the Post office on Johnson street. I learned a lot of information about the history behind the post office. In 1876 there was a movie theater there that burned down and the tragedy was Brooklyn’s worst one as yet. Also I learned that the post office is the biggest one in Brooklyn. Second we went across the street to Columbus Circle which is a famous park in Brooklyn because back in the 1800’s that’s where Henry Ward Beecher who was an abolitionist and a famous speaker. People would travel there to hear him speak. Then on the other side of the park is a statue of Christopher Columbus and his statue is facing Borough Hall. After that we went to a famous church in Brooklyn and then headed Brooklyn Bridge park. At the park you can see the entire Manhattan and I really enjoyed the view because it looked so beautiful. I was so amazed because I never saw a more better view of the city from such a close distance. Finally we went to the Brooklyn Historical Society where I learned some more new facts. The first thing I learned was that the faces of the Philosophers,writers,actors,etc that were outside are called “busts”. Then we went inside to the library which was very big and antique looking. Last we went into the basement in a room and learned about the rules and necessitates.