Project 2 Metrotech Center

Metrotech Center

When I was planning my route to NYCCT, I found a small walkway on the way from the Dekalb Ave. train station. Since I would not need to wait for any traffic lights, I decided to use this on my route. When I first arrived I thought nothing of it. Now that I have routinely used it to get to my classes, I have seen many things that are interesting there. I was passing through Metrotech Center on a regular basis. It was new to me, and I entered a new area of Brooklyn that I have never seen before. Metrotech Center was founded in 1992 to be a non-profit business district. It was created to be a commercial as well as an academic hub for patrons and students in the local area. It is a small community with nice open space and plenty of things to do and see. It is interesting and has become part of my New York.

Where some people see an uninteresting paved road, I see a place that has benefited me for a while. It is a place where I have no fear of traffic lights hindering my commute, and a place I can find anything I need. The convenience of it all has made it something worth remembering. It is located next to Jay St-MetroTech Station, where the A, C, and F train stop. It has a number of restaurants for a patron to dine indoors or outdoors. The Subways sandwich shop has been especially helpful at lightening the burdens of my daily grinds throughout my days. It has been useful to me in my time in downtown Brooklyn. The location of Metrotech Center is a place where one can find other interesting places. Metrotech Center is located right next to NYUpoly which is one of the universities in New York. Recreational areas such as Columbus Park and some historical sites can be seen within a short walk from Metrotech Center. It is a place that is convenient to someone as directionally challenged as myself.

The art works that reside in Metrotech Center are unique in their own way. The art styles vary between each work of art and have their own presence. One of the more noticeable pieces is the statue of an alligator emerging from the sewers to drag a person with a bag of money for a head. It is placed in a wide open area for many people to see and is something that a person sees every day. It is a new take on things, as you think about what the artist was thinking. What does an alligator emerging from the sewers mean? Is it something to represent a predator right under our noses? Is the individual with a bag of money for a head representing a select group or person? Is the person an interpretation of greed? I have left this topic un-researched so that I may speculate for myself. Another work of art being displayed there is a statue of the dog. It is a sort of hidden gem as some mistake it as a real dog during their first visit. Once you have seen the same dog standing by the same light pole in the same stance, you tend to wonder what that is still doing there. If you do not notice such by your second visit, then you will likely notice it again as you pass by it multiple times as your eyes wander to take in the sights and sounds surrounding you. It is a detailed statue or sculpture of a dog. The details go even further as you see that each brush struck forming the paint above it resembles the groomed fur of a dog. These are magnificent works that draw questions as well as give the area a bit more of an atmosphere that can only be found there.004

Occasionally you can see something exciting happening in Metrotech Center. It has a large clearing for events and other public gatherings. Every so often I see people gathering as I walk towards my own destination. One time I saw a game of golf being shown on what I assume to be a large projector on a large surface. People sat on benches to watch the game as I was passing by. I was in a rush at the time, so I paid it no mind. More often than showing a game, there are relief foundations using the space. They try to encourage people to aid in their cause and other reasons to support their foundation. If there is more noise than either of those, than there is likely a concert. I do not care for them as I have more important matters to attend to, but the events all seem like good ways to kill time when I have nothing to do. They all seem fun and enjoyable.

This is a place that has made an impact on my everyday life. Metrotech Center has given me some interesting experiences so far. I would use this on my route to NYCCT every day. It is a convenient place for me to find snack or drink fairly quickly. I find that I can appreciate the artworks within. I enjoy seeing the events that they hold for the public. Metrotech Center is a fascinating area for a person like me. This has become part of my Brooklyn.

Source: http://downtownbrooklyn.com/about/metrotech-bid